HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
55 Posts
They are the wheels from the L4 250 Eflight model. Supposed to be a direct replacement on the axle with reuse of the retainer thingy.

Greg
Tree Rat RC is offline Find More Posts by Tree Rat RC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
I just ordered a set. Do you know if they come complete with retainer thingies.

EFlite part number is EFL5031 if that helps anyone.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old May 13, 2012, 11:02 AM
Dbl
United States, MN, New Hope
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Rat RC View Post
You think you can operate from short grass with those?

Greg
I did land in short grass with a bit of dirt without much problem this morning. The wind was blowing about 10 or a bit higher so that might have accounted for the ease in keeping the plane from flipping. It stopped in about 4 inches!!! I even took off from the grass but if it is long enough to touch the prop....well that didn't work so well! I honesty don't remember if my wheels came with new retainers. I just used the old with no problem. The nice thing about these wheels is there is NO modification necessary at all. IMHO the carbon cub should have come with these wheels as stock. They certainly look and perform better!
Dbl is offline Find More Posts by Dbl
Old May 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
55 Posts
So marginal. I'll try it with caution nonetheless. Thanks.
Tree Rat RC is offline Find More Posts by Tree Rat RC
Old May 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2012
259 Posts
Busted a prop adapter. I see some people are recommending ICU's adapter. I've searched but can't find a thread on it and don't know how to search for him. What props a good upgrade? I think some trexlers are in order soon. Love them.
Adipose is offline Find More Posts by Adipose
Last edited by Adipose; May 14, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,857 Posts
Here's a link to his shapeways store.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/av8rrc

He also has wheel pants, spinners, and other assorted items.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl View Post
Here is mine in flight with the L4's. I think they are just perfect! Oh it looks good on the floats as well
Dbl,

They look great on the CC! I'm definitely ordering a set of those!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
Dbl
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Dbl,

They look great on the CC! I'm definitely ordering a set of those!

Joel
They are nice to land on as well. Lost my tail wheel this evening, I guess I will try and find one just a bit bigger. I had some Champ main wheels but they are a bit big. I also had some t-28 mains that are just a tad to big.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,241 Posts
Quote:
They are nice to land on as well. Lost my tail wheel this evening, I guess I will try and find one just a bit bigger. I had some Champ main wheels but they are a bit big. I also had some t-28 mains that are just a tad to big.
I almost put on an extra Night Vapor main wheel for a tail wheel today, looks like it may just fit without rebending the wire. It's about twice the diameter and the same width. I will eventually put it on, maybe when the Grasshopper tires I ordered come in.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 14, 2012, 08:24 AM
Dbl
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I almost put on an extra Night Vapor main wheel for a tail wheel today, looks like it may just fit without rebending the wire. It's about twice the diameter and the same width. I will eventually put it on, maybe when the Grasshopper tires I ordered come in.
Thanks for the info, I will have to take a look the Night Vapor for a tail wheel. I need to put something on I am not sure if parts are available yet.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
Dbl
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
I had a Mosquito tail wheel laying around so I thought I would add that on since my stock tail wheel disappeared. I clipped the old tail wheel wire off since the rudder is so fragile I might have done some serious damage trying to remove it. Plus it is under the control horn. One could easily paint the wire silver where it meets the tail but I was not all that bothered by the black on the tail. Some clear packing tape and it is on solid as can be. Another plus is it re-enforces the rudder a bit more. The wire is about twice as thick as the stock tail wheel. I like the slightly higher stance and with the bigger mains (L4 Grasshoppers) it looks balanced.

Sorry the second photo isn't as clear as it should be.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Hi i have made some nice carbon spars for my cub. lost one of the originals in a tree after elevator failure!
Made from 2mm solid carbon rod, didn't weigh them but i think carbon weighs just slightly more than the air it displaces lol.
looking into some nice big tyres in my lhs tommorrow.
heres a couple of pics
cheers for now
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old May 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
cheap bush wheels :P

here is some "budget" bush wheels that work wonderfully off of even relativley thick grass! Made from a set of full sized parkzone T-28 wheels, not the UM ones.
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old May 15, 2012, 12:36 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,028 Posts
Quote:
I had a Mosquito tail wheel laying around so I thought I would add that on since my stock tail wheel disappeared. I clipped the old tail wheel wire off since the rudder is so fragile I might have done some serious damage trying to remove it. Plus it is under the control horn. One could easily paint the wire silver where it meets the tail but I was not all that bothered by the black on the tail. Some clear packing tape and it is on solid as can be. Another plus is it re-enforces the rudder a bit more. The wire is about twice as thick as the stock tail wheel. I like the slightly higher stance and with the bigger mains (L4 Grasshoppers) it looks balanced.

Sorry the second photo isn't as clear as it should be.
Looks a lot like the Maule tail wheel! The Citabria's at my field (35 or so years ago) used them and the diff between taxiing with the Maule tail wheel and the one on the Champ was amazing.

I wonder if it'll behave better at this scale?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old May 15, 2012, 10:35 AM
Dbl
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Looks a lot like the Maule tail wheel! The Citabria's at my field (35 or so years ago) used them and the diff between taxiing with the Maule tail wheel and the one on the Champ was amazing.

I wonder if it'll behave better at this scale?

Pete
It did behave better! The larger tail wheel makes taxiing better and seems to hold a straighter line on landing, less tendency to ground loop which was why I wanted a bigger wheel back there. Because the wire bends allow for a larger wheel than even this one I have a few more choices to pick from, micro T-28 main wheel, Champ main wheel, etc the original tail wheel would not accept without serious modification. More experimentation to come!

Pete there are steerable and non-steerable tail wheels. The Maule tail wheel was a larger tail wheel than on the Champ. I believe it is a Scott on the Champ but don't hold me to that. I do know a non-steerable tail wheel will keep your attention on a windy day!
Last edited by Dbl; May 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM.