HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
I'm assuming flying floats with something this small is quite different to flying the biger stuff ?
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee View Post
biger stuff ?
Bigger sorry about the spelling
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
About flying with floats....I haven't flown off water yet, only snow. I found the floats to be much heavier than I thought so plan on a little extra takeoff space. They change to CG a bit forward and with the weight I found I had to trim the elevator three clicks to level flight. On subsequent batteries I found that if I moved the battery back about a centimeter that it made up for the CG shift forwards and didn't need elevator trim.
I just read about a guy flying the CC V2 and getting water in the cockpit messing up the ESC. When I fly on water I plan on covering the windshield hole and the servo cover holes with tape or something.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:34 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee View Post
I'm assuming flying floats with something this small is quite different to flying the biger stuff ?
Be sure that you have a means of retrieving the plane, should something go awry. Flying the CC on floats is the most fun in calm conditions. If you're going to fly in a breeze, make sure it will blow the plane back to you if you submarine a float & flip it on takeoff or landing, or tip it over when turning around to taxi back. If it gets dunked, disconnect the pack ASAP & shake the water out. Blow the water out of the motor & aileron servos with a few good puffs. When you get home, give the aileron servos a shot or two of DeoxIT D5. If the water made it to the brick, open the fuse & give the internal servos a shot or two as well. Use a hair-dryer on a lukewarm or cool setting to dry the plane out, or put it near a heat vent - but be sure the air isn't hot enough to damage the foam. Once it's dry, fire it up & check everything out. Give the servos a shot of DeoxIt FaderLube & cycle them a few times. If everything works, take her up for an ROG flight before flying ROW again.

Remember that you don't have a water rudder. so you need to blip the throttle to steer. Never take off or land into a crosswind. On takeoff, roll the power on smoothly. There is enough torque on tap to flip the plane over if you firewall it. Be ready to compensate for torque & slipstream effects with the rudder. Hold a bit of back-pressure on the stick so that you don't submarine a float. Be ready to compensate for gyroscopic & P-factor effects with rudder as the plane rotates & gets up on step. Ease the stick back & lift off.

On approach, pull the power back to begin your descent. Add a bit of up-elevator to slow down. Once the plane slows down & the nose drops a bit, extend the flaps if you wish. Reduce power, but fly her all the way down. When the she's a couple feet off the water, start pulling the throttle back. When she's about a foot off the water, ease the stick back & flare, but don't close the throttle completely. As the plane settles into the water, keep the stick back. Retract the flaps, if used. Always keep the stick back when taxiing so that you don't submarine a float. Never attempt to taxi in anything more than a 3-4 MPH crosswind. Never taxi in a direct crosswind. Taxi at 45-degree angle & hold the windward wing down with aileron. If the wind is over 5 MPH, just let the plane drift back to you, rather than attempting to turn around.

Here's my very first RC ROW flight:

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub on floats - my first-ever ROW flight! (8 min 53 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:40 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Remember that you don't have a water rudder.

Joel
But you could make one... if you used materials light enough not to throw off the CG too bad on this small plane

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/RAZ004.html

Name: 450-450-25FCF2CF2C32135C99205EF4873C784B.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 21.8 KB
Description:
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:44 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,513 Posts
5:47 greased the landing haha! Love it! great video Joel. Man I can't wait for my CC to get here! cmon UPS!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:11 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2005
1,043 Posts
Awesome video! Kept wondering if the volleyball net was going to catch you or not.
rscarawa is online now Find More Posts by rscarawa
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:53 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Thanks guys
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:07 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
But you could make one... if you used materials light enough not to throw off the CG too bad on this small plane

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/RAZ004.html

Attachment 5435772
The floats shift the CG forward a bit anyway. But it would still have to be pretty light. Hmm.....I wonder how hard it would be to imbed a UM servo in one of the floats...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:14 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,470 Posts
yep the next time i fly off water i want to make it a little more waterproof i got water through the front cowls holes calm water only for this little plane i reckon

heres my first fly off the water, EVER!

cheers chuck

E-flite UMX Carbon Cub On Floats The Maiden (6 min 33 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:42 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,265 Posts
Joel and Chuck, both your videos make me want a CC very badly!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined May 2012
9,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The floats shift the CG forward a bit anyway. But it would still have to be pretty light. Hmm.....I wonder how hard it would be to imbed a UM servo in one of the floats...

Joel
I don't think the servo would be very difficult. Then I think you'd want to get a male micro servo connector and mount it flush in the fuse, so you can plug the floats in when attaching them. Run the wires up one of the legs to hide them. A little piece of depron on a hinge for the water rudder, and then I think you'd have to mix rudder with the 6th channel to make them work together. Doesn't seem too bad.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined May 2012
9,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
Joel and Chuck, both your videos make me want a CC very badly!
I thought the same exact thing. Now, Mastercard and HH should send them both a thank-you card
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2005
1,043 Posts
I just received the tp325 batteries for the cub. Tight fit, did you have to shave anything off the inside of the plane to make them fit or do you just jam them in?
rscarawa is online now Find More Posts by rscarawa
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:23 PM
Germany, BY, Landshut
Joined Sep 2012
49 Posts
Hi,

another vid, my first flight on floats. Some mist, light wind.

UMX Carbon Cub Wasserflug (0 min 49 sec)

Greetings from Germany

Oliver
o.krug is offline Find More Posts by o.krug