SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:36 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Do I have the option for variable flaps with a Dx6i ?
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
I'm thinking I may have to organize some more hours at work
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:39 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee View Post
Do I have the option for variable flaps with a Dx6i ?
Yes you can set up a mix using multiple switches so it would work something like both switches off, 0 flaps, one on one off 20 flaps, both on full flaps. Dx8 again is super nice here with 3 position switches. Google three position flaps with dx6i, there's a YouTube video somewhere.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:55 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Thanks will do. What about the Dx7 ? Is it single switch flap operation because if I can swing a few more hrs at work before the end of the holidays I could probably afford one. unfortunately a Dx8 is out of the question for me but do you think it's worth upgrading to a Dx6 to a Dx7 ?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:43 AM
Joined May 2012
8,726 Posts
DNY check this out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1804415
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Cheers bhoov I'll chace that up I'm in Australia though so they may not be willing to ship to me :/
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:04 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,948 Posts
Quote:
Thanks will do. What about the Dx7 ? Is it single switch flap operation because if I can swing a few more hrs at work before the end of the holidays I could probably afford one. unfortunately a Dx8 is out of the question for me but do you think it's worth upgrading to a Dx6 to a Dx7 ?
DNY,

There is a world of difference between the DX6i & DX7s. The DX7s would be an excellent choice. It has a low 11 ms latency, 2048 resolution, very low jitter, 3-position flaps with programmable flap delay and elevator compensation, ball-bearing gimbals, a throttle-activated timer, extensive mixing options, 8 wing types, 5 tail types, telemetry, 20 memories, along with many other highly desirable features. As I have told many people - your transmitter is the one thing that you use with all of your aircraft, and an RC aircraft can only fly as well as the transmitter allows. Buy all the transmitter you can afford. You will thank yourself many times over the years.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 08, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:08 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2005
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Yes you can set up a mix using multiple switches so it would work something like both switches off, 0 flaps, one on one off 20 flaps, both on full flaps. Dx8 again is super nice here with 3 position switches. Google three position flaps with dx6i, there's a YouTube video somewhere.
Can this be done on 8301?
rscarawa is offline Find More Posts by rscarawa
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Dx7s it is then. Is it difficult to program proportional flaps and things along those lines because this will be my first computer radio and I have no experience with anyone alses
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:52 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,948 Posts
Quote:
Dx7s it is then. Is it difficult to program proportional flaps and things along those lines because this will be my first computer radio and I have no experience with anyone alses
The programming is relatively straightforward on the DX7s. There is a dedicated flap men that includes options for adjusting the throw, slowing them down, mixing in some elevator compensation, and changing the flap channel. I fly with a Futaba 10CHP, so I don't have any direct experience with Spektrum rigs, but the DX7s & DX8 are noted for being relatively straightforward to set up - even for advanced aircraft, such as full-house V-tail sailplanes with six-servo wings that have ailerons, flaps, spoilers, and are set up for reflex, camber, and crow. Also, you can download aircraft setups to your PC & upload them to the transmitter.

Here's the manual.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Jul 2006
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Yes you can set up a mix using multiple switches so it would work something like both switches off, 0 flaps, one on one off 20 flaps, both on full flaps. Dx8 again is super nice here with 3 position switches.
The best on the DX8 is that you have 1024 Flaps positions.
Only the location for this control on the Dx8 is not optimal in my opinion but my prefered method.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:02 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Only the location for this control on the Dx8 is not optimal in my opinion but my prefered method.
Yeah, I also set up proportional flaps on my 10CHP. I simply reassigned Channel 5 to one of the proportional levers on the back of the tx so that I can operate the flaps without taking my fingers off the sticks.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Thanks guys
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2012
8,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Yeah, I don't have very large hands and it's a reach for me to get up there and pop the flap switch, but it's okay. I only have one plane with flaps - currently (cmon post office bring my cc i ordered... please....) so I still have to search for the flap switch, muscle memory hasn't kicked in for it to be automatic yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:36 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Any tips for flying with floats ?