HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Registered User
shastamike's Avatar
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
It's on a baseball field. Some kind of sandy gravel stuff...I call it scale river bank.

I'm the same way with mine, really wanted to keep it pristine. But how long could that last!?

I was wind surfing the other day, going backwards at altitude in fact. Tried a loop, but coming over the top the wind flipped her around pretty quick, I lost orientation and flew her into a tree branch. Only major damage was the prop which was toast, but it turned out the prop angle was way off causing constant climb under power. A little steam behind the firewall and all is back to normal...
It's an odd thing for me to "fix" foam by soaking it in hot water for example. I've done it and it's an amazing fix sometimes. I believe I've heard steam also. If water is not a good idea, could a person use heat like a hair blow drier?
MIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
knifeedge63's Avatar
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
It's an odd thing for me to "fix" foam by soaking it in hot water for example. I've done it and it's an amazing fix sometimes. I believe I've heard steam also. If water is not a good idea, could a person use heat like a hair blow drier?
MIke
People use water to transfer the heat because it will not scorch the surface of the foam material. Hot air for example will simply melt the surface of the foam and damage it more than anything. Steam uses the same principle as water, because it contains the water particles in its air, it will not scorch the surface. So it is not a good idea to use a blow dryer. In some rare cases people use heat guns to shape and form foam, but that takes a specific reason and skill to do.

I hope this helps
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
Here is the Shapeways Sbach spinner on my Carbon Cub. I painted it, but the colors dont quite match... I will fix that soon. I just love the look of this spinner on here, it favors the looks of a Husky now Next is droop wing-tips..

Nice! It does look great on the plane. What's the weight & how's the balance @ WOT? Also - is it a press-fit, or glue-on?

Would be nice to get a set of Shapeways skis for the plane...

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Joel, just saw that the TP 325 is sold with UMx connector stock, is this new?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...3780#t4-HOPUPS
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:25 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Joel, just saw that the TP 325 is sold with UMx connector stock, is this new?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...3780#t4-HOPUPS
Yes it is!!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
knifeedge63's Avatar
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Nice! It does look great on the plane. What's the weight & how's the balance @ WOT? Also - is it a press-fit, or glue-on?

Would be nice to get a set of Shapeways skis for the plane...

Joel
It doesnt weigh much... but its heavier than the stock spinner. My plane was tail heavy before, and its balanced now The spinner is just press-fit, but will only work for the GWS props... The Stock prop is NOT compatible with the spinner. It comes in either white or Black, so i chose white (naturally) and painted it red. The blanace is Great at low throttle, okay at mid, and great again at full power. You can slightly adjust it around to get a better balance, but it takes some time. PLUS, i am using a shapeways Heavy Duty UMX prop mount (and i love these things). The mount is a tad shorter than the stock one, and it allows the prop and spinner to sit closer to the "cowl". That way the spinner isnt sticking out 3 miles off of the nose lol
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,421 Posts
KE,

Thanks for the info. I like the press-fit idea, and I use the 5030. Now we need a set of skis for the mains & tail.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hold my beer and watch this.
hammerfly's Avatar
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jan 2009
510 Posts
I just got one of these and can't wait for the wind to die down enough to go out and play. I'm going to have to try some of these mods y'all have come up with.
hammerfly is offline Find More Posts by hammerfly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
I need skis!

I know there's neigh-sayers out there who don't thinks this has a snowball's chance in hades of working at this scale. But I can't NOT try it...

I'm looking to make a scale-ish version of these:
http://www.summitaircraft.com/

I am making clips to pinch each ski around the wheel, and I'll use slack rubber bands to tether the tip and tail of each ski to the fuse using my T-pins aft (which I also use to attach my #16 cam) and straight pins forward of the cabin.

The snow we got today was too soon and too little to test these, but rest assured, I will post a spectacular success (or a melted snowball) soon enough!
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,421 Posts
Scott,

Very nice! However, scale-size skis only work on hardpack at this scale. Much more surface area is required to stay on top of any amount of snow, unless it has a pretty thick crust. Those of us who put skis on our Champs found this out in short order. We had to go with much larger-than-scale skis to get enough flotation for takeoffs in anything more than a 1/2 inch or so, and they still didn't work for landings unless there was a pretty thick crust. Think of it like this: The UMX CC is approximately 1/17th-scale, so taking off & landing in two inches of fresh snow would be somewhat like trying to do the same in three feet of fresh snow with a full-scale Cub! And we know how that would turn out!

I will be very interested in your results, though. I'd love a set of functional scale-ish looking skis, even if they were oversize.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Scott,

Very nice! However, scale-size skis only work on hardpack at this scale. Much more surface area is required to stay on top of any amount of snow, unless it has a pretty thick crust. Those of us who put skis on our Champs found this out in short order. We had to go with much larger-than-scale skis to get enough flotation for takeoffs in anything more than a 1/2 inch or so, and they still didn't work for landings unless there was a pretty thick crust. Think of it like this: The UMX CC is approximately 1/17th-scale, so taking off & landing in two inches of fresh snow would be somewhat like trying to do the same in three feet of fresh snow with a full-scale Cub! And we know how that would turn out!

I will be very interested in your results, though. I'd love a set of functional scale-ish looking skis, even if they were oversize.

Joel
Joel,
While the ratio of 1/17 scale applies to inches and feet, does it apply to weight?
Is the UMX CC 1/17th the weight of the real thing?
It would seem to me that efficacy on snow for skies for a CC is more a function of weight and area than of just area.
Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand scale.
In old school photography (meaning wth film), low light photography did not adhere to the same standard ratios of daylight photography (ie. f stop/shutter speed)
That was termed: reciprocity failure.

Btw: you are the EF Hutton of RC Flying. When you speak, people listen....
(Now I'm really dating myself!)
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Joel,
While the ratio of 1/17 scale applies to inches and feet, does it apply to weight?
Is the UMX CC 1/17th the weight of the real thing?
It would seem to me that efficacy on snow for skies for a CC is more a function of weight and area than of just area.
Of course, the UMX CC is nowhere near 1/17th the weight of the full-scale plane. Regardless - you still need considerably larger-than-scale skis to take off & land these UMs on deep snow, unless it has a thick crust. I was referring to the scale depth of the snow, which is a valid comparison. The full scale would need skis the size of floats to land on three feet of fresh snow without nosing-over. The UMX version wouldn't need skis anywhere near that big, but they'd still have to be a lot larger than scale to provide enough flotation for a rough landing in deep snow without digging-in. Many of us have been here already with the Champ & other UMs.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Btw: you are the EF Hutton of RC Flying. When you speak, people listen....(Now I'm really dating myself!)
Yes, and always remember, it's not nice to mess with Mother Nature!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:48 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
... It comes in either white or Black, so i chose white (naturally) and painted it red...
If you got a white one you could dye it any color you want on the stove in a pot of fabric dye (RIT) unless it's polyethylene... if it's nylon or one of a host of other types of plastic you're good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
I know there's neigh-sayers out there who don't thinks this has a snowball's chance in hades of working at this scale. But I can't NOT try it...

I'm looking to make a scale-ish version of these:
http://www.summitaircraft.com/
...
Lots of vids on youtube of guys doing this at this scale... check 'em out . Like Joel said, just don't land in fluffy powder... in fact, it would actually be cool to "stomp down" your own runway... Alaska style
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:44 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Lots of vids on youtube of guys doing this at this scale... check 'em out . Like Joel said, just don't land in fluffy powder... in fact, it would actually be cool to "stomp down" your own runway... Alaska style
Oh, I have!
Mission: Possible - RC planes in deep snow! (9 min 24 sec)

RC Plane with skis on snow (2 min 22 sec)


The light planes really look like the float high on even fluffy snow. Living on the east coast, I suspect I won't be seeing much snow without crust anyhow, but I'll let you know my results in a few weeks.

(My kids will happily stomp down the runway too!)
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS fragje Micro Ready-to-Fly 9922 Today 09:33 PM
Article Horizon Hobby E-flite Albatros D.Va 32e ARF Review Michael Heer Electric Warbirds 14 May 21, 2014 11:35 AM
New Product UMX Carbon Cub SS masonjee Electric Plane Talk 10 Mar 14, 2014 01:03 PM
New Product E-flite UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF with floats! Firehawk989 Waterplanes 8 Feb 28, 2012 01:48 AM
Wanted UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF GOOBERSEPTEMBER Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Feb 15, 2012 06:31 PM