SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
CrossionX

Just got the Corrosion X today. Gona dip the AS3X Board in it and stick it in a bowl full of watter for couple days to see if this stuff realy works. I will post what happens.
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald View Post
Just got the Corrosion X today. Gona dip the AS3X Board in it and stick it in a bowl full of watter for couple days to see if this stuff realy works. I will post what happens.
Good plan. Or you could send me the board, and I'll confirm that corrosion x stuff is worthless and handle the disposal free of charge....
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Modified UMX Carbon Cub With Hitec Servoes

Here is how i put the Hitec 35 HD Servoes on it. I put the new AS6410NBL board in it and it works awsome. If u get one of these boards make sure u get the usb programmer too ur gona need it. PN. SPMA3060
Last edited by Archi Bald; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: miss spell
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
Good plan. Or you could send me the board, and I'll confirm that corrosion x stuff is worthless and handle the disposal free of charge....
Ok so i dipped the board in corrosionx for about 15minuts pulled it out set in on a papper towl and let it set for a day then i put it in a bowl full of water and let it set in the water completley submerged in water for another day. I then pluged in 4 servoes and the motor then the battery and put it in the water with it pliged in and all servoes and the motor workd with it still submerged in water.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Ok so i dipped the board in corrosionx for about 15minuts pulled it out set in on a papper towl and let it set for a day then i put it in a bowl full of water and let it set in the water completley submerged in water for another day. I then pluged in 4 servoes and the motor then the battery and put it in the water with it pliged in and all servoes and the motor workd with it still submerged in water.
Now you need to run the test using my IRON rich pond water..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
Was that tap water, filtered water, distilled water, Bob's iron-rich pond water, salt-water, or???

It is quite common for low-voltage circuitry to survive submersion in fresh water - at least for awhile. The effects of corrosion (if any) may not show up until later. The real test will be how well the electronics hold up a month or two down the road.

BTW - people have posted videos of UM aircraft still functioning while submerged - even without any protection. A notable one was the clip of a UM plane 'returning to shore' under power after 'landing' in a swimming pool. It flew just fine afterward, but it would be interesting to know if there was any long-term damage.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
why do u all gota make things sound so dificult. It doesnt matter cause its not like we try to watterproof these little boards so that we can leave them in a pond.
the corrosionX is gona keep it from shorting out when watter gets on that little board. Its not like the watter is gona stay on the board permenatly. I simply wanted to see if it worked and the bottom line is that it does what it says
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
why do u all gota make things sound so dificult. It doesnt matter cause its not like we try to watterproof these little boards so that we can leave them in a pond.
the corrosionX is gona keep it from shorting out when watter gets on that little board. Its not like the watter is gona stay on the board permenatly. I simply wanted to see if it worked and the bottom line is that it does what it says
Well it just might work with watter but will it work with water, like pond water I don't have any watter to fly off of..
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
well it just might work with watter but will it work with water, like pond water i don't have any watter to fly off of..:d:d:d:d:d:d
omg
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Just a whisper in the wind
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Sounds awesome, where did you get this miracle product? My problem with water is when Its early in the morning and dew heavily covers the lawn. I hate wet feet but i love the crisp stillness of the morning air, batteries seem to last for hours.
Birds of Prey is offline Find More Posts by Birds of Prey
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
omg

Not trying to pick on you... I have over the years, landed heli's in a sink full of water, the fish pond at home, cat's water dish etc, and have run boats and float planes off fresh lake water which often means flipping them over and having them submerged for a while while trying to get them back.. And never had a problem after drying them out.

But when flying the CX2 on floats on my pond at the cottage with all the iron in it I burned out two servos and the RX.. Next time I flip it or try flying the CC I'll either try your way or wash off everything with clean water/alcohol before drying it off..

After removing a lot of my dead Ash trees and making the pond a little bigger at the cottage I now might have the room to try flying the Champ and CC of my pond..
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:33 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Because science is difficult. If science was easy - everyone would be doing it - and they'd get the correct answer right away most of the time. But that's not how it works. First off, an 'n' of one is not a valid sample size from which to draw any meaningful conclusion. As Bob & I have noted - it is common for unprotected boards to survive a dunking in fresh water without damage. Therefore, it is entirely possible that the brick would have survived just fine without treatment. BTW - making electronic circuits & test gear survive in hostile environments happens to be a specialty of mine. I design things that have to live in a 1.5 Siemens per meter saline solution while being exposed to a 3 Tesla static magnetic field, a 100 Tesla per second gradient magnetic field, and over 25,000 watts of pulsed RF @ 128 MHz. I also design tests to determine the biocompatability of various materials. So I have a bit of experience in this area.

Oh - and I do use CorrosionX on many things in the lab and at home. However, I would never use it on these open-frame linear servos. One does not use a dielectric on the resistive strip or wiper arm of any variable resistor.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Because science is difficult. If science was easy - everyone would be doing it - and they'd get the correct answer right away most of the time. But that's not how it works. First off, an 'n' of one is not a valid sample size from which to draw any meaningful conclusion. As Bob & I have noted - it is common for unprotected boards to survive a dunking in fresh water without damage. Therefore, it is entirely possible that the brick would have survived just fine without treatment. BTW - making electronic circuits & test gear survive in hostile environments happens to be a specialty of mine. I design things that have to live in a 1.5 Siemens per meter saline solution while being exposed to a 3 Tesla static magnetic field, a 100 Tesla per second gradient magnetic field, and over 25,000 watts of pulsed RF @ 128 MHz. I also design tests to determine the biocompatability of various materials. So I have a bit of experience in this area.

Oh - and I do use CorrosionX on many things in the lab and at home. However, I would never use it on these open-frame linear servos. One does not use a dielectric on the resistive strip or wiper arm of any variable resistor.

Joel
i never sayed i used it on a linear servo.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Not trying to pick on you... I have over the years, landed heli's in a sink full of water, the fish pond at home, cat's water dish etc, and have run boats and float planes off fresh lake water which often means flipping them over and having them submerged for a while while trying to get them back.. And never had a problem after drying them out.

But when flying the CX2 on floats on my pond at the cottage with all the iron in it I burned out two servos and the RX.. Next time I flip it or try flying the CC I'll either try your way or wash off everything with clean water/alcohol before drying it off..

After removing a lot of my dead Ash trees and making the pond a little bigger at the cottage I now might have the room to try flying the Champ and CC of my pond..
ok i live in tennessee and everytime i ever got an electronic devise wet here in the pond lake or sink it went poof. the water here aint purified unless a priest does it
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:49 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,390 Posts
One of the demonstrations that the maker of Corrosion X have done is to totally treat a television, submerse it in water and turn it on. Picture a bit blurry from the water but the TV functioned just fine. This was even with an older CRT TV.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2