HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:11 PM
Registered User
Jam-ehz's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
The overheating seems to come from the servos. I can run the plane at the minimum throttle, wiggle the plane in my hand for 30-40 secs, and it would stop, with the brick blinking 5 times or so. Even disconnected the ailerons and the rods at the rudder and elevator horns same thing. Haven't checked the foam underneath for melting though..

BTW, does the factory paint the body with it already assembled? My motor has spatterings of red dots on its label.. Just wondering..

Either way its going back, holes and all, looking forward to a brand new, working model.
Jam-ehz is offline Find More Posts by Jam-ehz
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
Registered User
B.C.NEWFIE's Avatar
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
the flaps didn't go back to their up position I flipped the gear switch up and down nothing then I hear this whining sound and sure enough the pinion gear was off on the servo for the flaps!!!

the exact same thing happened to me! =( i brought the plane right back to my local h.shop and at first this guy said he'll get the "main" guy to take a look at it,. i said no-way! replace whole plane or money back,as i hadn't even flown it,just was testing flaps.needless to say "they" replaced it with a new plane,.. things are great with it so far but i have only flown it twice. i seen on here some where that it may be a good idea to lower "travel %" wich im gunna do once i figure out how lol!still it was like H.H. people didnt even test the plane,as the pinion gear came off like yours,first try?
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts


Stoked that there is a mod thread for this little guy! Just joined the RC world, glad to see others are modding their CC's.

Out of the box I slapped some bush wheels on, I then got a little carried away with ideas and made some new parts

I made some aileron spades from balsa and a business card, they work and look great! A few other things include adding paint to the spinner and prop tips, also the gear fairings came off on my 2nd flight so I made my own from balsa, painted them red and hot glued them on. I also made an exhaust coming from the bottom of the cowling. Other than the spades everything I modded was just for aesthetics! I have read horror stories about these planes failing, I have had some amazing fun flights with no issues! I'll post a video soon!
TheOstronomer is offline Find More Posts by TheOstronomer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:08 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Anyone mod the tailwheel yet? I want to find a slightly larger tailwheel since I find the stock one too small for soft field ops. It gets hung up a lot or will anchor itself to stuff...
TheOstronomer is offline Find More Posts by TheOstronomer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
the flaps didn't go back to their up position I flipped the gear switch up and down nothing then I hear this whining sound and sure enough the pinion gear was off on the servo for the flaps!!!

the exact same thing happened to me! =( i brought the plane right back to my local h.shop and at first this guy said he'll get the "main" guy to take a look at it,. i said no-way! replace whole plane or money back,as i hadn't even flown it,just was testing flaps.needless to say "they" replaced it with a new plane,.. things are great with it so far but i have only flown it twice. i seen on here some where that it may be a good idea to lower "travel %" wich im gunna do once i figure out how lol!still it was like H.H. people didnt even test the plane,as the pinion gear came off like yours,first try?
Her is the parts i used. NO more servo problems and it flies owsome and is way more powerful than stock. Do it Rite or Dont Do It At All. I used the SPMAR6400NBL Board but they now hav the as3x board without the servoes on it available and its what i would recomend. u can even disable the as3x gyro system if u want. Its the AS6410NBL board. Part# (SPMAS6410NBL) Here is a link for it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAS6410NBL

Landing Gear Set: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1103)
Main Wing w/Lights: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1120)
Complete Tail w/Accessories: UMX Carbon Cub
by E-flite (EFLU1125)
Fuselage w/Battery Tray Door: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1167)
Prop Adapter (Long): Ultra-Micro Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1168)
Firewall: UMX Beast
by E-flite (EFLU4066)
BL180 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 3000 Kv
by E-flite (EFLUM180BLB)
AR6400NBL DSM2 6Ch Ultra Micro Rx BL-ESC No Servos
by Spektrum (SPMAR6400NBL)
5 of these servoes
Ultra Nano HS-35HD: Universal
by Hitec RCD Inc. (HRC33035S)
And i fly with a hyperion 320 2s lipo 12 minut flites

Modifide UMX Carbon Cub SS RC Plane Day Flight.MOV (4 min 24 sec)
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald View Post
Her is the parts i used.
What was the final price tag?
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:27 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOstronomer View Post
Anyone mod the tailwheel yet? I want to find a slightly larger tailwheel since I find the stock one too small for soft field ops. It gets hung up a lot or will anchor itself to stuff...
Yes, I used a Night Vapor main wheel and also mounted it to the fuse rather than the rudder. Had to bend the wire slightly to add clearance for the wheel but I'm happy with the results. The NV wheel is about twice the size of the original. I also use 1.5 inch main wheels. Tried to get Grasshopper wheels but my LHS has been unable to get them in the last four or so months.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:33 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOstronomer View Post


Stoked that there is a mod thread for this little guy! Just joined the RC world, glad to see others are modding their CC's.

Out of the box I slapped some bush wheels on, I then got a little carried away with ideas and made some new parts

I made some aileron spades from balsa and a business card, they work and look great! A few other things include adding paint to the spinner and prop tips, also the gear fairings came off on my 2nd flight so I made my own from balsa, painted them red and hot glued them on. I also made an exhaust coming from the bottom of the cowling. Other than the spades everything I modded was just for aesthetics! I have read horror stories about these planes failing, I have had some amazing fun flights with no issues! I'll post a video soon!
nice job! looks good
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:25 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
about $270
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Spektrum AS3X Board Without Servoes

I just got the new as3x board without the servoes on it.
PN. SPMAS6410NBL also got the programmer PN. SPMA3060
Should work greate with the hitec servoes and hav much smoother stability.
I will post pics when i take the plane apart so u all can see how i put the hitec servoes in it .
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald View Post
Her is the parts i used. NO more servo problems and it flies owsome and is way more powerful than stock. Do it Rite or Dont Do It At All. I used the SPMAR6400NBL Board but they now hav the as3x board without the servoes on it available and its what i would recomend. u can even disable the as3x gyro system if u want. Its the AS6410NBL board. Part# (SPMAS6410NBL) Here is a link for it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAS6410NBL

Landing Gear Set: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1103)
Main Wing w/Lights: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1120)
Complete Tail w/Accessories: UMX Carbon Cub
by E-flite (EFLU1125)
Fuselage w/Battery Tray Door: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1167)
Prop Adapter (Long): Ultra-Micro Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1168)
Firewall: UMX Beast
by E-flite (EFLU4066)
BL180 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 3000 Kv
by E-flite (EFLUM180BLB)
AR6400NBL DSM2 6Ch Ultra Micro Rx BL-ESC No Servos
by Spektrum (SPMAR6400NBL)
5 of these servoes
Ultra Nano HS-35HD: Universal
by Hitec RCD Inc. (HRC33035S)
And i fly with a hyperion 320 2s lipo 12 minut flites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXEj0rGutM&feature=plcp

I am sure this has been answered before, but I missed it. So here goes, Does the servoless programmable as3x brick ( as-6410nbl ) work with any non linear servos with as3x activated? For instance the hs35's mentioned above or really any sub 5 gram rotary servo, be it digital or analog? I have been wondering about this for quite some time, and now that the new bricks are finally around can someone fill me in?

Thanks,
Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:40 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I am sure this has been answered before, but I missed it. So here goes, Does the servoless programmable as3x brick ( as-6410nbl ) work with any non linear servos with as3x activated? For instance the hs35's mentioned above or really any sub 5 gram rotary servo, be it digital or analog? I have been wondering about this for quite some time, and now that the new bricks are finally around can someone fill me in?

Thanks,
Mendo
YES. I Tryed difrent servoes even cheap servoes and it worked with all. The cheaper servoes arnt verry smooth thats why i use the hitec 35hd servoes also they will last a long time.
just make sure u wire them rite when u change the conector.
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:49 AM
Just a whisper in the wind
Birds of Prey's Avatar
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOstronomer View Post
Anyone mod the tailwheel yet? I want to find a slightly larger tailwheel since I find the stock one too small for soft field ops. It gets hung up a lot or will anchor itself to stuff...
I went with a half inch tail wheel placed about 1/4 in back away from original position. With the bigger main wheels and tail, it can pretty much drive on short grass.
Birds of Prey is offline Find More Posts by Birds of Prey
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:44 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Sweet! I am going to my local HS tmrw to see what I can find! And time for another Battery
TheOstronomer is offline Find More Posts by TheOstronomer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:48 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Has anyone used corrosionx
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS fragje Micro Ready-to-Fly 10116 Yesterday 09:06 PM
Article Horizon Hobby E-flite Albatros D.Va 32e ARF Review Michael Heer Electric Warbirds 14 May 21, 2014 11:35 AM
New Product UMX Carbon Cub SS masonjee Electric Plane Talk 10 Mar 14, 2014 01:03 PM
New Product E-flite UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF with floats! Firehawk989 Waterplanes 8 Feb 28, 2012 01:48 AM
Wanted UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF GOOBERSEPTEMBER Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Feb 15, 2012 06:31 PM