HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Thanks RG, I will give them a try. The 2.6gr is what they weighed on my scale, but yes, they are the little orange ones.

The CC is back together with the old Beast innards. I used the original CC servos on the ailerons and they work fine. My tailfeathers were getting pretty beat up so I made new rudder and elevators from 2mm depron. Could have been thinner but that was what I had. I made them about 15% larger than the original surfaces. Much improved elevator response (using the inner hole on the horn) and I think the rudder will do better when I put the floats on.

While the plane doesn't handle the wind as well as it did with the as3x electronics, it is still a joy to fly. Seems more "cub-like" to me, in a very light breeze the little tail-waggle looks just like the big ones in a 20mph breeze.

Still have not been able to get the flaps working, and somehow I lost the lights. Will keep playing with it but pretty happy so far. Mostly fly at 1/3 throttle except for takeoffs which occur in about a plane-length.

Oh, I moved the tailwheel off the rudder and it is now fixed in the rear of the fuselage. The large rudder gives plenty of response on takeoff and it should save some rudder damage.

Next project will be the big Trexlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Not sure which servos you're talking about since I cannot find any 2.6gr servos. But I have a feeling you're talking about the latest little orange digital servos they came up with a few months ago. If it's those, I have a feeling they should be up for the task. I currently use them in many airplanes, including one of them with the Eagle A3 3 axis gyro board. No matter how I adjust the gain, it's not as nervous as the AS3X receivers, so cannot tell you 100% that they will work with AS3X, but on a tamer gyro board, they have been surviving quite well so far.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Help with flaps, please.
Can anyone help me get the flaps working on my CC with V1 Beast board? I have tried everything I can think of but so far no flaps. At one point both ailerons went up when I put the flap (or gear? I forget now) switch down.

I did a reset on the transmitter (dx6i) and then only the right aileron worked, so I did the channel 6/channel 2 mod as described in the receiver manual. Now the ailerons work properly again, but still no flaps.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Help with flaps, please.
Can anyone help me get the flaps working on my CC with V1 Beast board? I have tried everything I can think of but so far no flaps. At one point both ailerons went up when I put the flap (or gear? I forget now) switch down.

I did a reset on the transmitter (dx6i) and then only the right aileron worked, so I did the channel 6/channel 2 mod as described in the receiver manual. Now the ailerons work properly again, but still no flaps.
Sounds odd to me. You should be able to either plug the flap servo into chan 5 (as HH did on the AS3X brick), or program the brick for ailerons on chan 2 only (full 6-chan operation), reverse one of the aileron servos with the reversing lead, plug them into a 'Y' harness, plug the 'Y' into chan 2, and plug the flaps into chan 6.

Am I missing something, here?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Sounds odd to me. You should be able to either plug the flap servo into chan 5 (as HH did on the AS3X brick), or program the brick for ailerons on chan 2 only (full 6-chan operation), reverse one of the aileron servos with the reversing lead, plug them into a 'Y' harness, plug the 'Y' into chan 2, and plug the flaps into chan 6.

Am I missing something, here?

Joel
I'm sure it is me who is missing something. I have the flap servo plugged into channel 5, just like it was on the CC but for some reason I am getting no response. Guess I will have to open it back up and see what is going on. Perhaps I just didn't seat the plug properly.

I don't have a Y harness for these little servos so cannot try the alternative method you mentioned.

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure it is me who is missing something. I have the flap servo plugged into channel 5, just like it was on the CC but for some reason I am getting no response. Guess I will have to open it back up and see what is going on. Perhaps I just didn't seat the plug properly.

I don't have a Y harness for these little servos so cannot try the alternative method you mentioned.

Thanks.
The only things I can think of are to be sure the flap servo is plugged into to the left three pins of the X-port/channel 5 connector & to be sure that the X-port is not activated, as ch 5 & 6 are disabled when the X-port is active - but reversed ch 2 is still available on the ch 6 connector.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
For those of you who use Trexler wheels, how often do you deflate them? Not sure if I should keep them inflated on the cub for long spans of time (I.e. a few weeks).
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Old May 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
WSEN - can you post some pictures of your new tail feather mods?
Old May 28, 2012, 04:17 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer View Post
WSEN - can you post some pictures of your new tail feather mods?
Yes, will do when dear wife gets home with camera
Old May 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The only things I can think of are to be sure the flap servo is plugged into to the left three pins of the X-port/channel 5 connector & to be sure that the X-port is not activated, as ch 5 & 6 are disabled when the X-port is active - but reversed ch 2 is still available on the ch 6 connector.

Joel
BINGO!
That was it--I had not realized the x-port had 4 pins, not three. As soon as I moved the servo connector over, the lights came back on (duh, I should have figured it out from that!) and the flaps went down. Changed the x-port setting and now have flaps again.
Thanks for the help

BTW, I liked the CC with the ax3s, but I think I will like the beast even better with it!
Old May 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
Quote:
BINGO!
That was it--I had not realized the x-port had 4 pins, not three. As soon as I moved the servo connector over, the lights came back on (duh, I should have figured it out from that!) and the flaps went down. Changed the x-port setting and now have flaps again.
Thanks for the help

BTW, I liked the CC with the ax3s, but I think I will like the beast even better with it!
You're welcome! Glad I could help. BTW - I think you'll love the Beast with AS3X. Most of us do! I could go either way on the CC. The CC is the only AS3X-equipped plane so far on which I would consider switching AS3X off, if a means were provided to do so via the tx. 99.99% of the time, I prefer the big-plane feel & wind-handling of AS3X - but it would be nice to hit bypass mode during those rare times when the air is perfectly still around here.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 09:54 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Here are some pics of the oversized tailfeathers. The tape hinges didn't turn out very nice as the tape wasn't "invisible" like I thought it was. But the gray depron looks reasonably well, I think. Could have been thinner material if I had had any.
Name: CC tailfeathers.jpg
Views: 230
Size: 249.9 KB
Description: I just moved the "feathers" back a bit from the front hinge-line then marked and cut
Name: P1010771.jpg
Views: 266
Size: 170.7 KB
Description: Starting to look like a "real" bush cub. Pretty scarred.

The CC in the tree is part of the reason it needed new tailfeathers But I think it was worth it for the increased response.
Name: carbon cub in tree.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 331.2 KB
Description: A sudden gust of wind (my excuse) even with the as3x can move the plane sidways!

This is the linkage mod. I used the wire from my old Beast which was just right. I now have equal amounts of up and down.
Name: P1010772.jpg
Views: 274
Size: 145.6 KB
Description:
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Put some Trexler #5's on my cub and wow, do they look great! They hardly affect flight and look so cool while taxing!

Curious if anyone has found a better way to do lights on the cub. I'm noticing that the stock lights aren't very bright, even at dusk, so I'm tempted to yank the lights off and install my own.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:59 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
CC w/GWS 5030

First flight with the 5030 prop. To say that climb-rate is much improved would be an understatement. Thrust-to-weight is just over 1:1.

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub w/GWS 5030 prop - non-scale flying (13 min 44 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer View Post
Put some Trexler #5's on my cub and wow, do they look great! They hardly affect flight and look so cool while taxing!

Curious if anyone has found a better way to do lights on the cub. I'm noticing that the stock lights aren't very bright, even at dusk, so I'm tempted to yank the lights off and install my own.
Sounds great. Mine are on order.
Did you have to mod the gear or wheels to mount them?

I went out at 11:30pm and flew mine around the yard the other night. Granted it isn't all that dark here in AK at that time but the lights looked good to me. Do sort of miss having one on the tail.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
Fun with the 5030 - power-climbs, power-loops, torque-rolls, hanging on the prop

Here's another clip from last night. I condensed it down to mainly power-climbs, 'power-loops', torque-rolls, hanging on the prop - and a few touch & goes:

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub w/GWS 5030 prop - power-climbs, torque-rolls, hanging on the prop. (4 min 9 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member