HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Take it apart uh, how small do you think I am

I'm a 55 year old fart with fat fingers, I can solder just fine and have a pencil iron, but that little thing is beyond me, anyway for 20 bucks I got a new board coming
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:00 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
I'm a 55 year old fart with fat fingers, I can solder just fine and have a pencil iron, but that little thing is beyond me, anyway for 20 bucks I got a new board coming
Yes, and the electronics is only going to get smaller. My choice helicopter is the V911 and that electronics is much smaller than the DH9117. The save is that V911 BNF replacements are $20 shipped. Last ones I bought were $18.05 shipped. Fly them wind-surfing in my back yard. The DH9116 transmitter can fly the V911, so DH9117 transmitter should work also. Same transmitter(?).

Banggood - V911
http://www.banggood.com/buy/v911/ind...0-0_page3.html

Newest "Yellow" V911 with battery and dual-charger (fly this when the DH9117 is sick)
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ye...r-p-49116.html
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 08, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Thats about the size of my 120sr, which I'm not to happy flying, this size is to small for me to keep orientation with. I have a MJX F45 and a Multiplex Funcopter coming. The FC is ARF so I got parts coming from ..... well ,from over there.

Those 2 should keep me fairly happy, I read the MJX is 10 times the heli the DH is. We shall see

Oh, and I do have a B450 3D that I just cant seem to grow a set of balls with
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm not an adult like I'm guessing most of you are,... last year of middle school. But I've been flying RC helis for about a year, this past summer was my second summer flying these things. My first heli was one of those Syma things I got for my birthday. I just flew it around the house and used it to buzz my sister to piss her off and pick up small toys off the coffee table. Got boring fast! Then, for my b-day this year, I got the Double Horse Voli. I thought is was my first non-toy. But as the summer grew on and i began flying with other people, I began to realize that I was still in toy land,... sorta. I mean I like the Voli, but it's still a co-ax, same as the little tiny Syma I had. Towards the end of summer, I began really to learn and understand the limitations of only having 3 channels and counter rotors.

Anyways, I get to pick a more mature heli for xmas, but I'm thinking I'm still not ready for more than 4 channels. The reason why is because everybody's telling me that because I've only had co-ax helis, I need to do FPs first! I've seen some grown men cry after pounding their rigs into the ground (well actually just one guy), so I'm listening. Because I like the Voli, I just figured DH would be my next move,... so I figured a 9116. Then I was seeing that the 9117 was bigger and still way inside the limits that my parents gave me, so I started salivating for that. But after reading this thread,... man, I don't know. I got a $200 tap, but after seeing that I could get a FP for a little over half that, I was like "Cool, I can get my new bird and have some left over for a couple of upgraded batteries and still cop the new Halo 4!"

I guess what I'm asking is 1) is this whole thing about having to do 4 channels before 6, especially if you've only flown co-ax, an absolute truth? 2) I'm hearing that the MJX F45 is like a DH 9117 that's been fixed,... sorta like Windows 7 is just nothin' but Vista fixed! 3) Is there anything else out there I should be looking at,... I know a little bit about the Walkera, but after learning that they're kinda outta range my parents are willing to let me spend, I kinda stopped reading up on them. Everybody says they're like the last stop of 'ready-to-fly' helis and the next stop are kits that can cost some real big bucks. 4) I used one of the links up at the front of this thread and see that you can get the MJX F45 for less than the 9117, so now my question is, is this the right one I'm looking at? Should I really be looking at the F645? What the difference between those two helis? Which one is the improvement over the 9117?

Thanks everyone for listening and I'll be grateful for any advice you pros are willing to give me. Hope I didn't say anything out of line or stupid! But I did want to give as much info on me and where I am as possible. I figured that would help in returning good advice.
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
Last edited by Eric.Jr.Sax; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:55 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,685 Posts
A WL Toys V929 quad will teach you more than any conventional FP heli, is much more durable and a lot cheaper. The DH9116, 9117 and MJX F45 fly just like your coax and require lots upgrades and fixes.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I wouldnt waste any more money on the DH stuff, if you want a larger FP, than stick with the F45, its ten times better than the 9117 and requires very little modification. (go to the MJX F45/645 thread, but no need to go into the BL conversions) as for FP before CP, well, I cant say it would hurt, but if you dont mind the flitziness of a smaller CP (maybe a MCP-X) then you can go to that. Cant comment on quads, I've never flown one.

Whatever you decide, stay away from the garbage DH stuff. I learned the hard way and hope I can save you some grief.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
919 Posts
What I find remarkable is all the negative comments regarding Double Horse Helicopters. I've been flying a 9104 for a little less than a year with no REAL problems to speak of, just modded the same 9104 for 4 Ch., and while I haven't flown it yet, bench tests so far look VERY promising. Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind there's much better out there, but for the money, a learning pilot really can't go wrong, and chances are if they progress, will most likely "trade up" anyway...I totally dig my D.H.'s...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
AMA 994002
Joined May 2012
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
7.4v 2200mah 20 c. I have two different ones. Weight and shape slightly different between each. I will see if it makes a difference in power, if succesful will then see if I can trim it properly with the increases weight.

Won't attempt to short the circuit board without asking you a hell of alot of questions first
Don't do it. I tried running 3 500maH 20c LiPos in parallel on my 9104, and while it flew much better, both motors were hot enough to light a cigarette just about, definately hot enough to blister your finger, 2200 would most likely fry both motors, especially the tail motor.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
What I find remarkable is all the negative comments regarding Double Horse Helicopters. I've been flying a 9104 for a little less than a year with no REAL problems to speak of, just modded the same 9104 for 4 Ch., and while I haven't flown it yet, bench tests so far look VERY promising. Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind there's much better out there, but for the money, a learning pilot really can't go wrong, and chances are if they progress, will most likely "trade up" anyway...I totally dig my D.H.'s...
A WL Toys V911 or V929 costs about $40 - $50, needs no upgrades, fixes or mods and will teach you a lot more. I guess it all depends on if your enphasis is on learning or tinkering. There aren't many people who would purchase a 9104, let alone mod it to 4 channels. You are dealing more with the shortcomings of the product than anything else.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:43 AM
AMA 994002
Joined May 2012
919 Posts
Well I guess I must be one of the few, and where my ability is now, I certainly wouldn't spend a lot on a trainer. They're (D.H.) readily available, relatively cheap, parts are out there, and I like to tinker anyway, whether I'd of gotten the 9117 or not I most likely would have modified the 9104 anyway...I was always under the impression that was part of the hobby, and as in just about everything out there, there's ALWAYS room for improvement.

Edit: insult noted. Seems to be a lot of that here. You have your opinion, and I suppose you're entitled to it, but please don't look down your nose at people for the choices they make, it's what I choose to pay for a helicopter at this point, and again, with my ability where it is, it doesn't make sense TO ME to buy something that's #1 more than I'm willing to pay, and #2 sketchy parts availability. And where I haven't crashed yet (here comes another insult), if I do, I know I can get parts for it and be flying in a couple days instead of a couple weeks in most cases.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by matiac; Nov 28, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:38 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,685 Posts
Please, I meant no insult. My objective is to help people save money by avoiding products that don't provide adequate learning experience for the time, effort and money they invest. Your determination is admirable and your skills are probably better than you realize. The DH9104 has lots of shortcomings that make it much more difficult to fly than you realize. People buy those things and think they are really getting their moneys worth and they aren't. Their path could be much easier for less money. You did ask why so many negative comments about DH products and I was explaining why. Your experience with DH is not typical, but your reactions are.
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
AMA 994002
Joined May 2012
919 Posts
That's what I'm saying, so many people complain about so many aspects of them, and really the only problem I've had (with the 9104) has been overheating motors, even from the stock battery, and 1500maH is only 200 above stock and I can't believe I didn't fry both motors, especially the tail they were that hot. It was explained in another thread at another site that these motors are operating about 500% above design limit for them, and I am on my second set of motors for the 9104, but that would occur with any brushed motor, and those small Blade helicopters have brushed motors, I know because I'm running one in my Nine Eagles P47 (didn't want to wait 4 weeks for Hobby King to send a replacement) I got at our LHS, who only sells Blade stuff, and it works great in the plane, but I suspect because it is what it is, I'll have to eventually replace it, same as I'd have to do with the D.H. As a sidenote (in case it's noted I said I had "no problems") I don't consider swapping a motor a major problem, a bent mainshaft or something like that requiring a rebuild is a problem, and besides, I like working on them, I learn something every time I do, be it my planes or my helis... not tooting my own horn, but this is typically how my 9104 flies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGMv7...HTWBWibbffeLmQ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by matiac; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
A WL Toys V929 quad will teach you more than any conventional FP heli, is much more durable and a lot cheaper. The DH9116, 9117 and MJX F45 fly just like your coax and require lots upgrades and fixes.
HI Mr. Balr14. Thanks for the reply, but I don't want one of those things. I've seen them fly out at the high school field and to me they're very confusing. Especially if what I wanna learn is orientation. I've never flown one of those things, but they just don't look like a lot of fun to me, and they look nothing like a helicopter. To me looking real, especially in the air is kinda the fun part.

I think I'm gonna go for the MJX F45, and not worry too much about modding it. I'll wait till I get a little older before I get something I can dragonfly with.
Last edited by Eric.Jr.Sax; Nov 28, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,685 Posts
That's quite understandable. Quads aren't for everyone. They just don't fit many peoples visual images of what flight should be like.

If you get an F45, you can make it work a lot better for you if you get rid of extra weight. It's quite overweight and under powered. This mean excessive motor wear, short flight times and ponderous handling. Most people address this with motor upgrades and bigger batteries. I would go the opposite direction. Replace as much soft aluminum and metal as you can with CF tubing and rod, get an HBFP canopy and use a smaller lipo battery, but buy 2 or 3 and swap them. In hte long haul you motors will last longer and your handling will be sharper.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That's quite understandable. Quads aren't for everyone. They just don't fit many peoples visual images of what flight should be like.

If you get an F45, you can make it work a lot better for you if you get rid of extra weight. It's quite overweight and under powered. This mean excessive motor wear, short flight times and ponderous handling. Most people address this with motor upgrades and bigger batteries. I would go the opposite direction. Replace as much soft aluminum and metal as you can with CF tubing and rod, get an HBFP canopy and use a smaller lipo battery, but buy 2 or 3 and swap them. In hte long haul you motors will last longer and your handling will be sharper.
Thanks for the advice Mr. Balr! I found one on Ebay w/camera that I think I'm gonna order either tonight or tomorrow after school. My PayPal is all loaded up and read to go, but my Dad told me not to do any ordering until he has a chance to look things over. I don't know why,... he doesn't anything about this stuff. I'm the one asking all the questions and doing all the research.

One quick question I didn't thing about until I talked to one of my fly friends at school today. He said he might pick up an F45 the xmas to replace his old co-ax heli as well. We looked at a bunch of F45 youtubes today. If he get a also gets a F45 and we fly together, do we have to worry about radio conflicts? I know the real expensive radios and rc gear can switch channels or frequencies or whatever they do, so one guy won't crash somebody else's plane or car. Do I need to worry about this if I fly too close to somebody with another F45?