HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
I set 9117 like guide on youtube...it fly now excelent about 5 min...with stronger battery iy would be super...
dejannn is offline Find More Posts by dejannn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejannn View Post
I set 9117 like guide on youtube...it fly now excelent about 5 min...with stronger battery iy would be super...
With a stronger battery it fries the pcb and dies. This heli in stock form is garbage
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old May 22, 2012, 12:48 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
I have an idea (run for cover) Since there are so many similarities between the 9117 and the F45 I propose the following for those that have a 9117.
1. Remove the stock PC board and substitute the PC board from the f45.
2. A brushless motor conversion is being tested for the f45 so if it works
then bring the idea to the 9117 and see if it can be implemented.
Since the tail assemblies seem to be the same on both helis only the main motor is the issue. Will this work your guess is good as mine but if I can't sell my 9117 then mods are open season with nothing to lose.
What say all?
If you haven't already, read the 9104 thread. One of the guys over there did this and reckons its a great improvement. He only had to modify the swash
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old May 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
I have an idea (run for cover) Since there are so many similarities between the 9117 and the F45 I propose the following for those that have a 9117.
1. Remove the stock PC board and substitute the PC board from the f45.
2. A brushless motor conversion is being tested for the f45 so if it works
then bring the idea to the 9117 and see if it can be implemented.
Since the tail assemblies seem to be the same on both helis only the main motor is the issue. Will this work your guess is good as mine but if I can't sell my 9117 then mods are open season with nothing to lose.
What say all?
I think the idea of letting my almost three year old play with it is a better idea!

There's such a thing as good money after bad............
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old May 22, 2012, 05:19 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I think the idea of letting my almost three year old play with it is a better idea!

There's such a thing as good money after bad............
Ditto. I'd rather buy something that is right out of the box rather than modifying just to make it work. If it flies right to begin with, then you can modify for increased performance, durability, whatever. This helicopter should have never been released IMHO and I was one of the people looking forward to it the most. Fortunately for me, word isn't widespread enough yet that I was able to unload mine with only a 50% loss by time I added shipping and all the spare parts. In this sport, that's doing well
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old May 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Just to finish out my participation in this thread - I received my MJX F645 and flew it today - this is what the 9117 should have been. Stronger motor, beefy main shaft, bigger blades, bigger tail motor and better built. Transmitter is a bit ticky-tacky but no more so than the 9116/9117 unit although fewer adjustments available (no sub-trim). Flies beautifully, took only some fairly minor adjustments out of the box to get it into a stable hover. Parts are less available so I'd order up some spares where you can find them, just in case.

If you want a bigger 4ch fp than the 9116, do yourself a huge favor and skip the 9117 and get the MJX, you won't be sorry.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I know this is a old thread, I just got my 9117 today and did all the usual preliminary things. Set up the Tx, DR settings and such while the battery was charging.

Try to fire it up and it doesnt seem to bind the red light on the Rx is blinking and wont go solid. Nothing responds on the heli.

I dont even see an antenna wire anywhere.

Wonder if anyone has some insight ?
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:07 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Binding
Transmitter off, throttle minimum
Power on helicopter
Power on transmitter QUICKLY, within a few seconds after helicopter

2.4GHz Antenna 1/4 wavelength = 30.7mm (1.2 inches)
The receiver antenna is the zigzag pattern below "9117" on the Printed Circuit Board (PCB). That whole daughter PCB is the 2.4GHz receiver. The black thing sticking up on the bottom right is the electronic gyro that controls the tail motor speed.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 07, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Thanks Ribble, I got it going, I think the battery is NG, I pluged in one of my 2200 mah batteries and everything came to life. Sad to say but their quality control has not improved with this unit, half the screws are stripped and the other half loose, wires hiting the main shaft, canopy mount bent to hell and a tight as heck ballance bar.

I really had higher hopes for the "new model".
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:33 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
I think the battery is NG
half the screws are stripped and the other half loose, wires hiting the main shaft, canopy mount bent to hell and a tight as heck ballance bar.
Odd. Sounds like it is not new, as in a return that was repaired. Where did you buy it?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I got it through HK, it looked new, just crapy fitment and workmanship.

I just got done filing the one washout control arm so that when the screw was tight it wouldnt bind the ballance bar. This thing wouldnt have handled worth a the way it was.

I just hope it lasts me untill the MJX and Funcopter get here, if I crash them its one thing but never even getting off the workbench is another and I really dont mind the pre-flight once over..... but to be expected to trouble shoot a new heli is not good for return business.

Sorry, rant over, it might fly great tomorrow morning, way to windy now.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Well its not the battery, its the PCB, I can bend the upper board around and it stays bond for a little and then just intermittantly.

I looked at the board under a magnifing glass and dont see the problem, I also soldered the low voltage cutout together, all to no avail.

I contacted Hobby King about the problem, lets see what they'll do.

In the mean time , is there a place to buy just the PCB for this?

Man , this sucks, I was looking forward to flying something this weekend, everything else is in the hanger except the Coax
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:45 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
also soldered the low voltage cutout together, all to no avail
Red wire loop = Motor Overload Protection System (MOPS)

Also look for a metal cylinder 16MHz crystal between receiver daughter board and main board. Make sure it does not touch other components when vibrated. This crystal originally was a metal rectangle on top of receiver daughter board.

9117 parts in USA
http://www.rcroanoke.com/9117-double...-c-53.html#top

Try contact cleaner on the red ON/OFF switch. Or work the switch a dozen times to clean the contacts. Notice also that the 9117 board replacement includes the switch. Replacing the board may be best bet.

If you have a digital voltmeter, measure the +5 volts. Easiest place to check is the servo connector. From the PCB edge is B(-) _ +5v _ Control. Try shorting B(-) to +5v as that resets the electronics. The +5v voltage regulator won't be damaged by shorting it.

Re-solder the four wire connections (B+ B- KC KC) on top and bottom of PCB.
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 08, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I meant to say MOPS, I was just so PO'ed this morning...

I did check the crystal and it's not touching, I even bent that little board up just a wee bit.

When I took the PCB off to begin with it looked like it got drug along the concrete floor, the rest of the heli looked just fine, I think they may have been playing catch with this one , droped it and then kicked it back LOL.

And now,

This thing is crazy, I had it all apart and figured that theres nothing else to do untill I get a new PCB , I ordered one from Rc Fever for 20.00 includes shipping, so I get it all together and try one more time..... nope still the same , it seems to intermittantly want to bind , so I left both the Tx and heli on, after about 2 minutes it took and seemed to stay on untill you turn power off, then it starts all over. Sometimes though it would hang in the last input given and even that goes away after another minute or so..

This is possessed buy some evil spirit
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
it seems to intermittantly want to bind , so I left both the Tx and heli on, after about 2 minutes it took and seemed to stay on untill you turn power off, then it starts all over. Sometimes though it would hang in the last input given and even that goes away after another minute or so
Metal cylinder 16MHz crystal - Many replace this and it fixes weird problems like you describe. Though I think in most case replacing the crystal fixes some other problem just by taking apart and putting back together.