SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2012, 01:34 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Well that was a let down

First flight done and dusted an im left disapointed. Everything that has already been written in correct. It needs a lot of throttle to get it to lift and whilst the motor does seem to have more headroom to spin up there is not enough punch in the battery to keep it there for long. I was lucky to get 4 1/2 minutes before I could barely keep of the ground.

There was a descent breeze and I couldnt get much head way. I moved to the last position on the servo horns and it seemed to help. I believe the biggest issue hampering agility is the lack of punch from the motor and not having enough head speed. The other issue I had was when I tried to apply any throttle in a burst it would spin ccw and tail couldnt hold it, which considering its lack of power is surprisinging. It could just be a crap tail motor, its not as if I havent had plenty of those on my 9116 though..

So where do I stand now!!!!
No 1) it needs a battery with more punch before I can determine if the oem motor is the issue or not.
No 2) I need a new tail motor. The tail motor holder is the same as the 9053 except turned to be vertical and not horizontal. I had already ordered a spare but might see if the 9053 tail motor is the same????? maybe the guys in the 9104 thread know

or sell it now!!!!!! I expected to have to mod this heli, with the 9116 it was good to start with but with a bit of work it was great, the starting point for this is

Stay tuned.
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
I make few flights with my dh9117.First 2 min are Ok but after that 9117 dont have power inaff to go forwar
dejannn is offline Find More Posts by dejannn
Old May 16, 2012, 03:15 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Short the MOPS. Not just a wire short. but short the copper foil with stranded wire along the foil break if it still has that separation. One of the designs split the copper foil groundplane and added the MOPS across the split.

And while you have the PCB removed or lifted, make some photos of the bottom.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old May 16, 2012, 03:21 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Short the MOPS. Not just a wire short. but short the copper foil with stranded wire along the foil break if it still has that separation. One of the designs split the copper foil groundplane and added the MOPS across the split.

And while you have the PCB removed or lifted, make some photos of the bottom.
Ill try a 2200 mah battery tomorrow, if that fails to make an improvement I will follow your advise after I pick you brain on how to do this, sorry me and electronics is not a good combination
Old May 16, 2012, 03:34 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
Ill try a 2200 mah battery tomorrow, if that fails to make an improvement I will follow your advise after I pick you brain on how to do this, sorry me and electronics is not a good combination
2200mah 7.4 volt I hope.

Shorting components on a circuit board is harder than it seems.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:38 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
2200mah 7.4 volt I hope.

Shorting components on a circuit board is harder than it seems.
7.4v 2200mah 20 c. I have two different ones. Weight and shape slightly different between each. I will see if it makes a difference in power, if succesful will then see if I can trim it properly with the increases weight.

Won't attempt to short the circuit board without asking you a hell of alot of questions first
Old May 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Tried the 2200 battery this morning and it made a 100% improvement in terms of power and flight time. Whilst still not as much punch as a 9116 it would take off and hover with less throttle and the tail held much better. It wasn't perfect and suffered a little bit of blow but but still an improvement.

Now to agility, it still struggles with forward authority and still seems to be tail heavy even with the bigger battery. I lengthened both swash links and turned up the EPA and dr to 100%, i also removed the tail supports to remove weight. Even after this it would still tend to pitch the nose up. I'm going to add some weight in the nose and see if it helps.

Overall after being down about this heli yesterday there may be a sign of hope for it today
Old May 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Tried the 2200 battery this morning and it made a 100% improvement in terms of power and flight time.
That tends to indicate that the MOPS is not a problem as it would have interfered much more as you use greater power (more overall main and tail motor current).

michaeldepeza ran a 2800mah 7.4v battery on a stock DH9104. So you can still go bigger.
Last edited by Ribble; May 16, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Ribble do you know what battery he used?????
Old May 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Ribble do you know what battery he used?????
Just a picture. It must have been a bit too heavy. He hit a pole and was out of action 3 months. Once you get all that weight moving, it doesn't respond too quickly nor does it stop too quickly.

I recall that he lowered the receiver PCB and mounted the battery above. Too long to fit in the canopy at normal battery location.

He only had the stock DH9104 battery charger (like the DH9117 charger) and it must have taken a few hours to charge it.

michaeldepeza 2800mah battery for DH9104
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=478

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1329233841

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1329233841

Last edited by Ribble; May 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:10 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Mine's up for sale

If anyone is interested in getting a 9117, fully setup with a ton of spare parts (and after my glowing reviews ), mine's up for sale:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1654393

Think I'm going to take the plunge on a MJX F45 and see if it's not more of what I'm looking for.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old May 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Dead 9117

Went out for another flight this morning to test after adding some weight to the nose. At first all was going well, and was able to get some decent forward speed out of it and some nice banked turns. After about two minutes or so I started to get some intermittent motor cut out which started to get worse. I tried to bring it down as the motor cut completely land hard in grass, it then went by itself full throttle sideways towards the neighbors house. The tx had lost all control and thankfully it hit a tree before the neighbors car. By the time I got to it smoke was pouring from the canopy.

I think this will be the end of this bird, I will replace the pcb and on eBay it goes. I was considering getting a 450 size heli but I think it's to big for the space I fly in. Will now save up for a v120d02s
Old May 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
intermittent motor cut out which started to get worse. I tried to bring it down as the motor cut completely land hard in grass, it then went by itself full throttle sideways towards the neighbors house.
Sorry to hear DH9117 troubles. What size battery were you running.

Sounds like a new source of spare parts for the DH9104 or even the MJX F45.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
516 Posts
I have an idea (run for cover) Since there are so many similarities between the 9117 and the F45 I propose the following for those that have a 9117.
1. Remove the stock PC board and substitute the PC board from the f45.
2. A brushless motor conversion is being tested for the f45 so if it works
then bring the idea to the 9117 and see if it can be implemented.
Since the tail assemblies seem to be the same on both helis only the main motor is the issue. Will this work your guess is good as mine but if I can't sell my 9117 then mods are open season with nothing to lose.
What say all?
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old May 18, 2012, 10:42 AM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
I have an idea (run for cover) Since there are so many similarities between the 9117 and the F45 I propose the following for those that have a 9117.
1. Remove the stock PC board and substitute the PC board from the f45.
2. A brushless motor conversion is being tested for the f45 so if it works
then bring the idea to the 9117 and see if it can be implemented.
Since the tail assemblies seem to be the same on both helis only the main motor is the issue. Will this work your guess is good as mine but if I can't sell my 9117 then mods are open season with nothing to lose.
What say all?
Seems like it would be far easier to just buy the F45. Comments seem to be that it is a better made unit to begin with but I've never laid eyes on one so don't really know.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416