HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 04:39 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Discussion
Double Horse 9117 4ch FP specs and review

My DH9117 arrived today after a week of waiting. What was supposed to be "three day shipping" turned into a week to get one state away and then the seller sent the wrong color . They also had a little tag inside the box that said it had been calibrated by their staff - not so, unless their staff thinks having the servo arms completely out of alignment, the link rods fully extended and the swashplate way off level is proper calibration.

A couple of initial observations. For whatever reason, this feels less substantial then the 9116. The swash and mainshaft seem undersized for this size helicopter. The diameter of the shaft is the same and the swash is identical to the 9116. That's fine until a simple blade strike bends the center shaft or snaps the swash but will have to wait and see.

Size: The 9116 is essentially a 200 class heli and something like the 9053 is a 450 size. This falls in the middle, call it a 300 class, about 21" overall (55cm according to the box). While it would be nice to have a true 450 sized heli, I suspect they would have to engineer a lot of new parts to handle the size. Not convinced the recycled parts they are using will hold up to even this size.

The transmitter will be familiar to anyone with a 9116 as it is identical and I suspect if you can set up the two copters identically, you can use just one transmitter with some minor trim adjustments each flight. My 9116 runs with zero subtrim all around so I'm going to see if I can get this one to do the same. Biggest problem is the tail motor since there is nothing to adjust mechanically.

Setup: Poor. The servo wires run down the inside of the helicopter and weren't zip tied off so that both of them were laying up against the center shaft - rerouted one of them to the other side and then zip tied them up and out of the way. Canopy has a large scratch on it directly on the top, looks like a manufacturing defect rather than a shipping issue. Several screws loose, one blade too tight in the blade grip (which is metal BTW). Main shaft has too much up and down play in it, needed to adjust the collar to take up the slack.

Performance. Not impressed. Charged the battery fully and then started playing with it on the ground so that I could see what mechanical changes needed to be made. The main motor feels like it's struggling just to get the helicopter off the ground and can't imagine it's going to fly with much authority. I suspect the 9116 will be faster and more agile. There is a LOT of throw on the servos so it will be interesting to see exactly what kind of performance it has when I get it outdoors. I also am suspect of the battery that comes with it as regards true mah rating. It came with a spare so I think I'll put that in for the next test.

Spare parts: As suspected, the 9104 is identical and most of the parts can be used. Everything except the swash and control board.

Speaking of batteries - you will absolutely need a real charger, something like an accucell or Imax B6. The little charger that comes with it takes HOURS to fully charge the battery (as in three!). When I balance charged the second battery on my Imax, took about forty-five minutes.

So, bottom line, if I was others here, I wouldn't spent any premium to get one right now. They'll end up at retailers for <$100 in the near future. Knowing that at least one member has ordered one that also owns a MJX F45, I'll be anxious to hear his opinion. I suspect the MJX F45 is a much better built machine for roughly the same money and is probably where I would look rather than this. However, parts availability for the DH products is generally excellent and not so for the MJX.

First pictures for size comparison to the 9116.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Tom, have you a chance to actually fly it properly or only just to trim it??? It seems strange about its lack of power as the guys in the 9104 thread don't seem to have that issue. Will be interested to see what mine arrives like???
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old May 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Thanks Tom

Looks like my DH9104. Tail fins look like metal instead of plastic.

DH9104 is sluggish compared to my V911's. But the DH9104 is a "toy" and has relatively safe low rotor speed for the 21 inch (535mm) diameter rotor.

Please post some photos with canopy off and some closeups of swashplate area.

What is the rotor diameter and battery capacities.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; May 07, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
Tom
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
Tom, have you a chance to actually fly it properly or only just to trim it??? It seems strange about its lack of power as the guys in the 9104 thread don't seem to have that issue. Will be interested to see what mine arrives like???
No, I haven't had it more than a few feet in the air, land adjust, hover. It's blowing like a gale here right now, hopefully early AM tomorrow will be calm. I guess my comparisons are that the 9116 pops right up as soon as I get to about 1/2 throttle, this seemed to lift slowly on a comparative basis. Of course, my little 9958 flys off the ground as soon as I touch the throttle so there is some relationship between size and the pure ability to fly.

However, one thing I did notice and I'm no genius in this area, but it has a 370 class motor as opposed to a 380. For some reason, I thought it had a 380, at least that was what I was looking at in trying to find an upgrade for when the day comes. It could also be that the stock battery needs a few cycles to develop full power plus I charged it with the little cheap charger that doesn't really do a balance charge so that's why I'm anxious later on tonight to try out the spare that was included and see if it's producing more amperage for better performance.

Just looking at the wiring for the motor, through the board, it probably couldn't draw any more power without something melting down. Seems like this is built right on the edge of what off the shelf components can handle. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I've got it in wide open spaces and not worried about running it into the dog
Old May 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Tom
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Thanks Tom

Looks like my DH9104. Tail fins look like metal instead of plastic.

DH9104 is sluggish compared to my V911's. But the DH9104 is a "toy" and has relatively safe low rotor speed for the 21 inch (535mm) diameter rotor.

Please post some photos with canopy off and some closeups of swashplate area.

What is the rotor diameter and battery capacities.
Rotor diameter is also 535mm on this (exact same head design and blades as the 9104 which I bought as a parts copter). Stock battery is 1300mah, the extra the seller included is 1500mah. I've yet to see an aftermarket battery in that range with the same type of connector on it.

Pictures attached, the closeups of the swash aren't very clear, need to shoot them outdoors on a bright day as the auto focus struggles with closeups using the flash. BTW, the setup on the swash is getting real close to hands off hover for me. Couple more single turns of the buckle should get it perfect.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Did you look at the advertised range on the 9117? It's nearly half the 9116 that's what turned me off my 9116 already gets out of range sometimes. I thought bigger bird more range it would have been nice.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old May 07, 2012, 07:31 PM
Tom
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
I don't think it's actually is half. They use the exact same radio system so there is no logical reason why one would be further than the other. I think they deliberately give a fairly short range so that people aren't flying out of control of the TX. Of course, if I crash it because it flew out of range, then we'll know better.
Old May 08, 2012, 04:01 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
I don't think it's actually is half. They use the exact same radio system so there is no logical reason why one would be further than the other. I think they deliberately give a fairly short range so that people aren't flying out of control of the TX. Of course, if I crash it because it flew out of range, then we'll know better.
Range is the same all the specs on the pages are wrong it has the same specs as the 9104 in frame and motors and the same specs as the 9116 for electronics
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old May 08, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Great Review Tom!!!
Old May 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
517 Posts
I got my 9117 today. This is going to be 1 to 1 comparison with the f45.
Transmitter: Same as the 9116 manual and all
I bound both to the 9117 to see what would happen.
What I feel is a shame is the transmitter is far more capable than any DH can use. With a good manual and some time I would love to see what all it is capable of.

9117:
first the motor: it is mounted upside down from the bottom so it will not get any cooling and will be dificult to put a heat sync on it. It is labeled 9104 (surprise) grin. The f45 has the motor on top and is easy to heat sync.

The tail boom: The same as the f45 down to the mounting block, tail motor, tail motor assembly and screws. The fins are metal but we could steal them and put them on the f45 using the same screws. Even the same color wire going to the control board.

The servos are mounted so they are easy to get to and out in the open.
Because of their placement the linkages to the swash are different.
The swash mounting is also different to allow for the servos.

I took it over to my usual place along with a f45 to do a flight comparison.
Note: out of the box without any adjustments except I put training gear in it as I do with any new heli. I wanted to see just what it would do as is.
Flight time: Sluggish, it took almost 70% throttle to get it up and going.
Controls are likewise sluggish. The control links from the servo can be adjusted so there is possibly improvements.
The fully charged 1300Ma battery only lasted about 4 min. The heli started to spin and was out of control.
I was promiced a 1500ma to come with the heli but it was not there. This is going to be an issue I take up. Also, no spare parts like main blades and tail blade. Different than any other I have purchased up to now.
After flying this thing I cranked up my f45 (what a difference) stock it is supposed to be docile but in comparison to the 9117 it is agile.

My initial impression is that the f45 is a better choice hands down.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old May 08, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Where did you purchase f45 and price
Old May 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
517 Posts
I went to the sellers on aliexpress. Give me some time to research.
The price delivered was about $100. Since I have more than one the price I quoted is the average.
Old May 08, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
517 Posts
Look here for some suggested prices
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y
Old May 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Thanks
Old May 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
Tom
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
There was a guy in the US selling the F45 on fleabay for $110 shipped, have it in a few days. Think it's going to be my next purchase and put the 9117 up for sale - it's sadly disappointing, see the next post.