HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Question
High altitude flight.?

Anybody flown their multirotor at high altitude, 5000m above sea level, wondering what the effects would be on lift & power compared to sea level. Any experiences?
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,638 Posts
I could try checking it in the lowest place on earth ..
The dead sea
And the lower you fly -- the better. 1 feet over the ground there would be Lowest..mmm
Were the air tube over the props is the highest \ more heavy..
Water boil there at 101 oc..
Interesting ..

Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old May 07, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg View Post
Anybody flown their multirotor at high altitude, 5000m above sea level, wondering what the effects would be on lift & power compared to sea level. Any experiences?
No noticeable difference.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old May 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm
I checked my spec in here & then changed the altitude from 500m to 5000m & my throttle hover value went from 52% to 94% ?
Old May 07, 2012, 11:23 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm
I checked my spec in here & then changed the altitude from 500m to 5000m & my throttle hover value went from 52% to 94% ?
Ok I read your units wrong. I thought you said 5000 feet. 5000 meters will make a difference in your machine. The air is very thin up there.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:40 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,923 Posts
<Original post deleted. O.K it's early I haven't had coffee yet and rubbish was generated by my brain cell.>

I guess you are gonna climb a mountain or something - not fly FPV from ground level ?

Should be interesting to see how much difference 5,000 metres altitude makes to the payload capability of the multicopter
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Last edited by sparklet; May 08, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Thats right Sparklet, was offered a place on an expedition to high altitude to do some filming but i dont think my rig will perform too well above 5000m,
Old May 08, 2012, 03:06 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Thats right Sparklet, was offered a place on an expedition to high altitude to do some filming but i dont think my rig will perform too well above 5000m,
How about an electric powered glider ? Something foldable for the weekend sir ?

Other problems may occur if the temperature is low. Props become more brittle and the duration and power output of lipos drops off dramatically.

During the winter I carry my lipos in an insulated bag with a small bag of rice in with them The bag of rice is popped into the microwave for a short spell - until just nice and warm. Works a treat......... you are taking a microwave oven ?
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old May 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
OTOH, I know for a fact that Tabby had flown his Maxi Joker 2 single main rotor electric helicopter at the top of Mauna Kea which is right under 14,000 feet above sea level.

You will need to have a very good power to weight ratio on your multi rotor to fly at 5,000 meter.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:39 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Does anyone have concerns about flying so high with respect to commercial and private aircraft etc?
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old May 08, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Mar 2007
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Does anyone have concerns about flying so high with respect to commercial and private aircraft etc?
I think he's looking at 5000m above sea level, not above ground level. If you are on a mountain you could be at that altitude and not have left the ground yet!

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old May 09, 2012, 01:32 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,781 Posts
Not many 5000m mountains in Ireland ;-)
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old May 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Ha! I completely misread it! thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocontrol1 View Post
I think he's looking at 5000m above sea level, not above ground level. If you are on a mountain you could be at that altitude and not have left the ground yet!

Rob D.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old May 10, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
For two days I almost went up to 14,000 feet and test my quad just for the OP? Unfortunately I only had shorts on and it is cold up there.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
I've flown my tricopter at over 4300 meters, at Pangong Tso lake in the Indian Himalayas. It needed almost full power and behaved like a lead sled, more than usual anyway!

Flying the tricopter FPV at Pangong Tso lake in Kashmir, Northern India (2 min 38 sec)

At that time I had only been learning to fly it for a little over a month, so I'm sure if I'd go up there again I wouldn't have much trouble.

I carried with me many propellers to try out, but in the end, mostly due to lack of time for testing, I simply flew with the normal 10x5 propellers I use at sea level.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG