R.I.P. GMRC
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Discussion
new to helis but not rc with another which micro FP to get

hello everyone

i think this is my first post woohooo

anyways i got hooked on these helis like a lot of us on here seeing a friend fly around an s107. fell in love right when i tried it and went to buy a blade scout. its a fun heli, much better than an s107 but i quickly wanted more so i got a 13 dollar dynam flight sim controller and played with that for 2 hours total maybe (couldnt get it to work on my computer so bouncing around at friends 2 hours is all i could get)

then last weekend at the rc expo i tried an mxc2 demo and got the hang of it in 5 mins and after talking with all the 3d heli experts there they told me to get a blade 120sr as a starter since i have "some practice" <not really lol. i wanted a micro but they said msr is discontinued and msrx isnt a good starter

turns out its a lot of heli for me when im inside (havent broke it yet but i have deffinatly crashed lol) and i think i do pretty good outside with it after only flying 4 channel maybe 5 times so far

i love the 120sr but i want to keep it nice and fresh for outdoor low wind flying and get a micro sized FP for windy,wet,dark days

im open to all options for a budget FP heli

looking at these but not fully set on either

this is at a semi local hobby shop. they dont carry the helis in store and only online but they have a full stock of parts in store which is great

NE solo pro
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/store...4GHZ+NANO+HELI
Revell proto max
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/store...+CH+HELICOPTER
parts for both? its under revell not NE...
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...page=999&pos=0

and as im sure most of you know xheli.. i found this.... xheli does not do walk ins to buy direct from them but they are within 30 min of my house and treat us locals pretty good with any issues and seem to stock parts for this heli now

the xieda 9958
http://www.xheli.com/27h-9958-miniheli-yellow.html

parts for her
http://www.xheli.com/9958parts.html

there are so many micro FP's out i dont know which one to get.

my ? is are any of them more interchangeable than others? and is there one that shines among them all?

any help would be great!

thanks guys

Nick
nickypoo is offline Find More Posts by nickypoo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
I suggest the v911. It's a clone of the Solo Pro and Revell Proto Max. And since your local hobby shop carries Revell Proto Max parts, you can use those spare parts in a pinch.

Some positives about the v911:

On the v911, they beefed up the pivot pins on the head. Which I find is easier to break on the Proto Max and Solo Pro. But the best things about the v911 is the price and the fast servo. It also comes with a 2 port charger and two batteries. Has a good following her on RCGroups. And when you're ready for a more professional radio, you can buy a Turnigy 9x or FlySky TH-9X and bind it to the v911.

The negative is, you likely have to buy the v911 from overseas. There's a deals thread for the v911 so you can check there and the guys there will point you to the best deal for it at the moment.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old May 07, 2012, 06:22 PM
R.I.P. GMRC
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
very cool heli ^

what are some reputable sites to order any of my heli needs from?

anyone have the xieda? it seemes to be growing on me and can order it through the states...
Old May 07, 2012, 06:26 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
These are my thoughts on the Xieda 9958: http://www.hacksmods.com/xieda-9958/

Written before the v911 came on the scene.

I like the 9958...but generally with some mods first.

I enjoy flying them both.

Nitroplane is the same company as XHeli. And I believe they sell the 9958 for cheaper at $32. The nice thing about the 9958 is that it uses the same battery connectors as the E-Flite/Parkzone. Easy to find batteries for it. IMHO, the best price for performance is the new E-Flite 150 25c batteries if you can find them in stock at $3.99. Here's my battery test: http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/02/e-f...-1s-lipo-test/

I like purchasing from MyRCMart. They carry both the v911 and 9958. And their spare parts are pretty cheap. They also carry the newest revision of 9958 with the new transmitter that has an LCD. http://www.myrcmart.com/gw-great-wal...7l8em5sl1d9bo0

Shipping will approach $20 if you purchase a heavy item like a helicopter. It usually takes about 2wks to arrive to the USA from Hong Kong. Actually, I see it take one day to get from HK to LA. And then it sit in custom for a week sometimes.
Last edited by Daryoon; May 07, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
R.I.P. GMRC
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
you are the man!

time for some reading
Old May 07, 2012, 06:41 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
I edited my last post at the same time you posted. So you might have missed the additional info.

For the v911, people have purchased them from FireCabbage here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/1...ro-R-C-RC.html
Old May 07, 2012, 07:02 PM
R.I.P. GMRC
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
man i should have been on this site years ago

great info. friendly members

thanks!

now for some reading/research and the hardest part.....

picking onewhen i want them all!
Old May 07, 2012, 07:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
BTW, don't get a mCX2. I made a mistake and got that and you master it in 5mins. And then it won't go fast bank turns without striking blades and falling out of the sky.

The guys at the Expo won't recommend Chinese clones as they don't know about it or they want to steer newbies to heli where you can get parts and help at your local hobby shop. So I understand why they would say there isn't a good beginner heli now that the mSR has been discontinued.

If you have room, you'll likely pick up flying a FP heli really quickly.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
I say the same thing. Wish I had known about the site years ago. But back then, you had to pick one because the heli were about $140.

With these latest Chinese heli, at ~$40...you can buy a couple. And parts are cheap.

I don't like flying my mSR because replacement parts are more expensive.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:47 PM
R.I.P. GMRC
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
really the mcx2 was horrible! i knew right away i wanted a FP when i couldnt even bank turn the thing

after reading your review on the 9958 im not so sure on it... it seems like a cool heli but NEEDS mods which shys me away. do any come needing less or no mods?

how many are out there to choose from that are under 50 and in your order from best to worst (only list ones you can reccomend please)
Old May 07, 2012, 08:14 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
Plenty of people are happy with the 9958. I like it as well.

The v911 is a compelling heli for a beginner. I would go with that route IMHO. And you can pick up a second heli for about $22 once you have a transmitter.

The mCX2 is pretty to look at. But it isn't designed to fly fast. The blades start to strike each other and causes the heli to tumble out of the air. For those who likes to hover and call it flying, I suppose it's ok. Not for the price though.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2007
529 Posts
Just get one of each. You can get the 9958 at nitroplanes and get it to you within a week and it is barely over $40 with shipping. At same time order the V911 from banggood or aliexpress tomtop or firecabbage store RTF (includes controller), also roughly $42 ( includes shipping) and you'll get it eventuuaaalllyyyy ( talk slower as you say it). My first V911 is at post office now and I ordered on the 18th I think, so you get the picture. By then the 9958 may be in need of repair and you can start with the V911 and order spare parts to fix it. Pretty much everything on 9958 can be repaired fairly easily. You don't need mods right away and one easy one is free, two more easy ones are using parts from most local hobby shops which are roughly $6-7 for ea. mod.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old May 08, 2012, 01:14 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
Xheli/NitroPlanes is in LA area, where the OP is located. So he should get it next day. I have read somewhere that you can even do a will call and pick it up from their warehouse to save on shipping?
Last edited by Daryoon; May 08, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 02:02 AM
R.I.P. GMRC
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Xheli/NitroPlanes is in LA area, where the OP is located. So he should get it next day. I have read somewhere that you can even do a will call and pick it up from their warehouse to save on shipping?
one thing hobbypartz/xheli/nitroplanes/nitrorcx doesnt do is walk ins

such a bummer! i got toyed around with one time from nitrorcx and smooth talked my way in the door to return a 150a xerun esc and after a few ppl had to talk to their "boss" i got an electronic refund a few days later

ive heard bad things from ppl trying to walk in. right on the door is says GO AWAY ONLINE ONLY lol

i really doubt i would get it in one day too. i ordered two servos and got them in a week but all the tabs were broken off and it was shipped in a envelope. they let me keep the broken ones but i have been waiting for replacemnts for over a month!

9958 it is.... and if i dig the micro FP that much ill try a 911
Old May 08, 2012, 01:18 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
I think it was a long time ago that they did. I could see why they would deterr walkins now.