HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 11:17 AM
Fixed wing fanatic
United States, OR, Hermiston
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
Discussion
How far is too far back for the CG?

I recently acquired a PA Extra MX. I am working with the CG to get it just right. I have been flying it pretty far back, which allows for some pretty cool walls, spins, and tumbles, but it also causes an issue because of having so much down trim that when I flip it inverted, it will almost do a loop if I don't give elevator input. I don't have the plane in front of me, but if I remember correctly the CG is at about 5" from the leading edge. How can I determine the correct location via flying characteristics? I know some of the hardcore 3D guys use a CG that is pretty far back, but do they just live with these kind of flight characteristics in order to have that instability when they fly? Thanks guys.
neddis is offline Find More Posts by neddis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Generally, start at the front of the range that the manufacturers recommends, and then work the battery back 1/4 at a time until you are happy with it. Remember that everyone likes something a littrle different.

Generally I like the plane to dive a little when I go inverted. I trim it at full throttle upright, and then roll it over. If it stays level or climbs, that's too tail heavy for me. I like them to drop at least a little, but then again, that's just me.

Personally I have found that once I get to nuetral or further back, flying any kind of precision is nearly impossible. Not only that, but even in 3D the plane becomes more squirrely than I like. Personally, I just don't like them too tail heavy.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
+1 on Docs comment for me.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old May 08, 2012, 01:14 AM
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
411 Posts
I took Scott Stoops advise in Mastering Radio Control Flight.

For precision pattern, upright I have the same amount of up elevator as
down elevator inverted.

3D, neutral upright and inverted. Like Doc said too far back and it just gets too twitchy.
732002 is offline Find More Posts by 732002
Old May 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
Fixed wing fanatic
United States, OR, Hermiston
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. The Extra MX is my first REAL 3D plane so I am still trying to figure out the details in the setup stuff. I moved the CG forward a tad today and it flew better.
neddis is offline Find More Posts by neddis