Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,074 Posts
Discussion
Looking for RC Sound systems Reviews

OK, I got a Hanger 9 B25 that I made electric, and love it, but when doing those slow low flybys there something missing. The Sound!

So I have been doing some reasurch on line, and I was hopeing not to spend more than $100-150 but it seems like I don't have $$$ I need. LOL

Its seems some feel the RAM systems are just to small and weak, but I was at an air show in OHIO and heard them in person, and was blown away by there sound.

But I will be honest its the only one I haver heard in person. I have wached a few Youtube clips but its hard to tell if the huge $$ in systems are worth it.

I was hopeing You guys could help me make a list of all RC sound systems out there so one can make a educated chose.

(and Im hopeing theres one out there that I missed were I can get what I want for $100 or so)

Yes I do think the Start up sound is cool.

Thanks for your help, becouse right now Im thinking of ordering 2 of these rams systems, or just one, and rip apart a coputer powered speaker set up.

Weight is not an issue for the B25,

Thanks mike
mikes68charger is online now Find More Posts by mikes68charger
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,074 Posts
Well I talked to RAM and I may just order 2 of there systems that way it has more of the twin motor sound.

Unless some one can show me how to download the sound to a mp3 file.

I have room for this boy

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLMRMP1...ower-Amplifier

200 watts RMS and it connects to an Ipod, (I have a cheap mp3 player laying around)
I have room for for 4 4in speakers. Can you say loud LOL
Old May 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
MN Twin (engine) fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Wow, that looks like an awfully heavy amp.

Two other sound possibilities are:

Mr RC Sound
Comes complete with amp and 2" speaker for $120 with 4 selectable engine sounds. It does start-up sounds as well. For an extra $15 he adds gun sounds.

Benedini
Sound card is 99 Euros, amp and speakers are extra. Sound files are free downloads. Includes start-up sounds and gun sounds.

- Dave
Wood Duck is offline Find More Posts by Wood Duck
Old May 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2011
214 Posts
I have the SFX7 from Model sounds inc in my Pilatus. It is capable of Playing 3 seperate sounds at once (including 2 engine sounds), can store up to 16 at any one time and can also have up to 4 switched outputs (tied to tx switchs and/or timed with sounds) to run LEDs etc.
http://www.modelsolutions.ca/
I have never heard the RAM one in person , but I do know that my SFX7 seems to be quite a bit louder than the ones I have seen first hand from Aerosound Inc. The setup is pretty painless as well.

My system was a bit more than your Previously stated budget of $150, but thought I would add my review since you asked. My system, (SFX7 board, 2 switched outputs and two 4" 20w speakers) came to just over $300 US after shipping (Canida->USA)

Havent posted a Vid of mine yet, but below is one from another RCG user with the older SFX6
VQ Pilatus Porter & RC Skydiving (3 min 14 sec)
Arkole Blake is offline Find More Posts by Arkole Blake
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blue Angels
Old May 08, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,074 Posts
Arkole Blake

Thanks for your input, I have seen you vid somwere eles on the net and man its loud.

As this Hanger 9 B25 is my first big electric (only PZ birds before this one, except for my 8s Trex600's) I love the way she flys and the peace of mind that the electric motors give me, but just hate how quite she is on flybys.

I was talking to my boys about your set up and they were all like "How you going to pay as much for sound as you paid for the bird"

But now that I have a few days with the sticker shock, I guess it ant much diffrent than good retracts, as most good ones cost almost as much as the bird also wich sucks .

Can you still hear you bird in the air when the nitro guys are flying?

Are you useing both 4in speakers?

Thanks Mike
Old May 08, 2012, 07:38 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
Hey Mike,

I'm running the Benedini system from Aero Sound in my P-51. I'm very happy with it. I did learn a few things while building my P-51.... you have to have some sort of speaker box for a deep sound. If not it's high pitch and tinny.... and if you have them internal or in the cowl it's not as loud.

What I did was mount the speakers on the bottom of the wing and used the wing as a speaker box.... I made speaker covers out of window screen and lite ply. My plane is chrome and you can't even see them in flight... so in your case you could paint the screen green and no one will see them.

The low voltage system running its own 4s 1800 mah pack gives more sound than the high voltage system....

It's a ton of fun and really turns some heads at the field..... when the guys heard it they went nuts!! that was fun.... I'm more than pleased with it. The whole system us $311.

Link to Aerosound: http://www.aerosoundrc.com/products.htm

They asked to use my video on there home page and I was more than happy to have it there.

GS Top Flite P-51 with Benedini sound system (5 min 47 sec)
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Nov 2011
214 Posts
Mike,

Just 'for the record' the vid I linked is not my plane but rather the same airframe with an older version of the same sound system I have.
Yes I am using 2 speakers in my system, and so is the person in that vid.

I did not intend insult anyone who has the Aerosound system with my comment about mine bieng louder, just stating what I have seen vs other planes in my area.
I would look at both and decide for yourself.

As Ron pointed out Placement of the speakers and a good sound box make a huge difference in performance. The plane in the vid I linked has its speakers in the wings, I did not want to cut into mine and put the speakers in the bottom of the fuse, this resulted in having to build a box around them to get similar volume levels in the air.

I dont want to decieve you into thinking that you will be blasting glow or gas planes out of the air with your sound system. In my experience neither of these systems will put out enough sound for that. In the air alone, or with other electrics, it sounds quite well (esp on low passes). I have flown mine at the same time as larger (100cc gas) planes are flying, and while I could hear the plane on a low pass while standing on the flight line, others further away said they could not hear it at all once the big bird fired up.(standing next to the plane on the ground however, mine is easily as loud as a .40-.60 glow engine with a standard muffler)

A couple other things to consider while looking are:

How are you going to power your system?
The MSI board works on 12-26v , if using two speakers you will really want to feed it with a 6s lipo for max sound. I power mine with two 3s 1000mah tied in series.
Aerosound offers both a 'low voltage' amp and a 'high voltage' amp. From what I have been told both amps will provide similar sound levels if powered at thier respective max voltage. (the high voltage option is mostly for running the system off the same battery as the motor on a large plane)

Is the sound file for your engine easily avalible?
One thing that swayed me toward the MSI was that they had the file for my P&W PT-6 turboprop already avalible and Aerosound did not. (both companys have a pretty wide selection of sounds and say they will help find one if yours is not already there)

Will the system do twin engine sounds?
I know the MSI will, not sure about the Aerosound as it wasnt a concern for my application.

Other features:
I know the Aero does offer gun and other sounds, not sure how many it can do at once. (agian wasnt a concern for my plane)
The MSI will do up to 3 sounds at once, and can store up to 16. It also can have up to 4 switched outputs to time LEDs etc to flash with sounds, open doors, whatever.(if thats something you want, agian not sure on the Aero)

Set Up:
The MSI comes pretty much 'plug and play' , I have heard that the Aero takes a bit more effort (from local guys that have or have had them). My system is newer however so this may have changed since they got thiers, I simply do not know.

I do believe both systems are similar in cost, and I doubt you will be disappointed once you get either working well in your plane.

I'll try to answer any other questions you have if I can, hopefully Ron from the above post will do the same for his system and you can make an informed decision before parting with your hard earned cash.

Good luck

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 01:48 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Clothes-pin and a baseball card?
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old May 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,387 Posts
You should look at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394346
It's not just about Benedini systems, and it's full of good ideas.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old May 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
Litchfield Park
Joined Dec 2008
120 Posts
I have a Bendini low voltage in my P-47, 2 4 inch 20 watt speakers under the cowl, Ron is right the next time I do one of these I am putting the speakers under the wing. I have not moved the volume control to full and for the most part you can hear the sound a good ways off. Here is link to a video, its pretty long and at the beginning there is a noisy 2 stroke flying real close to flight line. Gives you an idea about the sound.

http://www.movingmoment.net/Rick2.wmv
AZThud is offline Find More Posts by AZThud
Old May 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1,074 Posts
Thanks guys, I fly at a really big feild and there are very few twin motor planes being flown. (except mine I can only rember 2 on one guy was from out of town) since I have been flying.

One of my Heli boys likes my Hanger 9 B25 so much he went and done got one.
But he is going to be useing 2 .70 4 strokes.

Now I know I cant compet with his sound, but If I can make mine sound more realistic on start up and shut down, It would make me feel better. LOL

My only question, do you feel its ok with the speakers faceing down, like being installed on the bottom of the wing?

I can put both speakers in the center body cap that covers the wings on the body, or put one in each motor pod.

But if I cut the pods theres no going back there exspeinsive to replace vs the center body peace at $15.

But if one was to put them in the pods, I could put them faceing outwards so when doing flybys 1 speaker is faceing right at me.

Wich way do you think would sound better in the air.

Thanks Mike
Old May 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Nov 2011
214 Posts
You will want the speakers facing down, that I can tell you for sure.

Many people will cut a hole for them in the bottom of the wing near the fuse, this gives good results as the wing itself will then act as a box to direct the sound out of the plane. The trade off here is that you have to have wings big enough to fit them and make sure you do not cut into any' important' bits that may cause the wing to fail under load.

If you place them in the fuse (or somewhere else) where they are not completely inclosed, much of your sound will wind up going 'backwards' into the aircraft instead of projecting out. You can fix this issue by building some sort of box around the speakers but it will add some weight. (this is what I did as i did not wish to cut into my wings)

Below is a pic of how mine went in the fuse. (and a lesson in how not to do it :P)
Placed like they are in this pic I got plenty of sound on the ground, but lost most of it as soon as the plane took off. I have now inclosed my speakers to direct the sound out and the difference is very dramatic. (I will try to get a shot of how I did this when I get home)

The thread Kaikokid linked above has many good ideas about getting the most from your speakers, you should definatly give it a read.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394346
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 09:01 AM
Litchfield Park
Joined Dec 2008
120 Posts
I have a Bendini low voltage in my P-47, 2 4 inch 20 watt speakers under the cowl, Ron is right the next time I do one of these I am putting the speakers under the wing. I have not moved the volume control to full and for the most part you can hear the sound a good ways off. Here is link to a video, its pretty long and at the beginning there is a noisy 2 stroke flying real close to flight line. Gives you an idea about the sound.

http://www.movingmoment.net/Rick2.wmv
AZThud is offline Find More Posts by AZThud
Old May 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,074 Posts
Thanks guys Im going to order my kit right now.

Even thow I fly at a big feild, 75 of the planes are nitro fun birds and the rest are the hug 110cc and up big boys.

The only electic birds are PZ. LOL

So Im hopeing to show these guys what electic can do.

I just wich I could find a better way to charger my 2 6s 5000s 40c lipos that are in the bird and don't come out for chargering.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:22 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,387 Posts
I think you should at least consider one speaker each side a la
Corsair Flight #2 with sound (6 min 51 sec)

see:Pg 24 Any advice on installing Benedini TBS Mini in 1.4m warbirds would be great

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...5&d=1334102558
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid