SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 07:37 AM
Dave Highland Scotia
West Highlands of Scotland
Joined Jun 2007
5 Posts
Discussion
Slow flying wing and RC 'remote' controller.

Since the internet became 'googlized' a lot of interesting sites that displayed slow flying and long endurance models very suitable for surveillance appear to have been 'dissappeared'.
Can anyone point me to threads or sites with descriptions of such aircraft?

I am sure that there must be RC'ers who have dispensed with the standard controls preferred by equip. manufacturers and opted for customised layouts more suited to their own needs perhaps connecting these controls to a TX through the 'buddy box' input. Is there a thread I could search for tips and ideas?

Thanks
Dave B
Scotland
daveincaol is offline Find More Posts by daveincaol
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 07:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
I'm intrigued, what "custom controls"?
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old May 07, 2012, 10:23 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Perhaps you're thinking of something like UHF Chainlink systems, yagi antennas, remote controls designed to manage planes at long distances?

http://fpvlab.com/forums/forum.php

???
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 07, 2012, 01:28 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,762 Posts
Try the - UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles forum - for long distance capability. (Autonomous flight).

The - Video Piloting (FPV/RPV) forum - for flying with a video down-link.

The - Aerial Photography forum - for general purpose aerial photography.

The FAA and the BMFA for general rules and regulations regarding flying those types of models in the UK. There are also tougher restrictions regarding video transmitting power in the UK
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 08, 2012, 06:43 AM
Dave Highland Scotia
West Highlands of Scotland
Joined Jun 2007
5 Posts
...... & Custom Controls

Thanks for the replies and links. I note the comment re Video TX power. I'll look into this, I've seen a remark indicating that possession of an Amateur Radio License can be an advantage.
After I posted the enquiry I found one link myself.
http://mikeysrc.com/
Mikey builds scratch models for FPV from foam board. Some are slow flying.
Re Custom Controls. These may exist already.
The sort of thing would be similar to the panels available to Flight Simulator users and provide all the controls in a layout that resembles aircraft controls.
Basically; Yoke, pedals and throttle in a lifesize format with the sensors, potentiometers, whatever linked to a TX.
daveincaol is offline Find More Posts by daveincaol