Can anyone suggest a eflight 110 adapter that is 5mm at the prop shaft
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 06:28 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,851 Posts
Turn the shaft around, or add a longer shaft turned around the other way, and use a collet or et screw type prop adapter mounted directly to the shaft. That is a more versatile mounting method for most uses.

Here they show two adapters, one with a grub screw in the side of it, is that one intended for mounting directly to the shaft? If so, it would probably be best to grind a flat on the shaft for the screw to bear on.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM41103

A 5mm shaft would seem a little too small for a 500 gram/1500W motor, is that for a prop?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,933 Posts
hi Jack , and thanks for trying to help .
The 5mm shaft is for an 18/6 three blade stock prop on the LX 79" P40 .
The shaft on the right is the eflight 110 motor rated at 295kv , the one on the left is the LX motor rated at 290 kv , so both are for larger eletric planes.
I dont understand when you say turnaround becasue i would have to drill and tap the shaft above seen on the left and it will never hold to a eflight 110 with that method .
I know the examples your talking about and they have the correct shaft hole to receive the back motor shaft option and catch a set screw , both of the shafts above do not have that option.
Old May 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,851 Posts
I'm sorry I mislead you.

I did not realize that the shaft for the Power 110 was made differently than I was assuming. I see now it has that plate on the front (rotating or magnet housing end) of the shaft and that is where the bolt on prop adapter is attached.

On most motors the front of the housing is drilled and tapped, the shaft ends flush with the housing, and the adapter is attached to the housing. That is a system as seen here:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-04%29/Detail

And on those, some prefer that the shaft be reversed to extend from the front and a different type of prop adapter (the collet type I mentioned) fitted.

I'm using smaller motors and I can see now where they are changing some the details on the larger motors so that they will handle the increased loads.

That is probably going to be something that you would almost have to find a machinist to make for you. They could turn the 110 adapter down from 10mm to 5mm and cut a new thread.

It is not an option to ream the prop hub out so that the 10mm shaft will fit it?

Jack
Old May 07, 2012, 09:48 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,933 Posts
Jack , no apologies needed , your very graciuos in trying to help and i sincerly appreciate it .
This is the challenge that is keeping me from reeming the prop.
The stock motor is rated at 290 kv and the stock prop is at 18/6 3 blade .The stock esc is crap at 50 amps so the plane is a dog in stock form .
The first easy step is up the esc to 100amp with a replacement .(done )
Second I am going to test the stock LC motor in 2-5000 4s batterys and the new 100 amp esc . I want to see the watts i can get stock and see if this motor is near 290 kv .
I dont believe it is and even the wireing is low voltage vs my eflight 110 rated at 295KV.
Now if the stock motor fails in either over heating or lack of power then I will ream the prop to see what it can do on the eflight 110 .
However I think the elfight would use a lower size prop in three blade and I am trying to save the money thru testing the stock prop before spending $60 to $80 on another propeller .
I know , crazy delema but there is no real science to say "something is fact "
Eflight says the 110 can handle the 18/6 three blade yet rc group e-xperts say its too big , and i trust rc groups more !!!
So I am try tetsing the LX this weekend and see what I can get out of the stock set up
Old May 08, 2012, 08:09 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,851 Posts
The wiring on the motors can be a little deceiving. The current being draw at the ESC is shared momentarily and sequentially while it is also being pulsed on and off. So the motors wires do not have to be as big as the leads from the battery to the ESC.

Also, some of the silicone insulted/super flexible wires have a larger sheath on them and that makes them look as if they are larger. Unless they are marked differently you may be seeing the same AWG size wire on both motors but different sheaths.

I see your dilemma better now, costs are always a factor and those props are very expensive. I don't use any of those so I go around breaking $2 or less to $5 or so props with cheerful abandon.

I don't see a link at BH for the manual that is included with that P-40, is that one of those props that uses three loose blades that are clamped into a hub?

That is a nice looking plane but I don't fly at a regular flying field, just a rough field location, so I hand launch and do flare/stall/flop landing in the deeper softer weeds. None of my planes need or have any landing gear. So I don't have much interest in those big warbirds.

Jack
Old May 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,933 Posts
Hi Jeck , yes its a three blade single blade prop that gets attached by a hub .
I am going to try testing the stock prop first on the stock motor with more battery power and see what i get , if its acceptable then I will use the stock motor before tring to reem the stock prop