SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Question
Okay guys, If you had to do it all over again?

I've been bouncing this around for a while now. But what 450 size clone would you say is the best flyer and most stable, not to mention the most reliable. I'm asking because this is a beginners section, but it's hard to find this information or just an honest opinion, Walkera v400d02, cxi 450, hausler 450se, dynam 450, etc. thanks in advance.
sire162 is offline Find More Posts by sire162
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,477 Posts
The most stable will be something with no flybar and a good flybarless control system, with emphasis on the flybarless control system. The Walkera V400D02 is not a clone; it's an entry level flybarless 450 size heli, that doesn't really warrant much consideration. For my money, the best 450 is the Thunder Tiger E325. I've owned several clones and they don't compare.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 08, 2012, 06:19 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The most stable will be something with no flybar and a good flybarless control system, with emphasis on the flybarless control system. The Walkera V400D02 is not a clone; it's an entry level flybarless 450 size heli, that doesn't really warrant much consideration. For my money, the best 450 is the Thunder Tiger E325. I've owned several clones and they don't compare.
Agree 100% except I never flew a TT E325

The clone thing falls to the Tarot though in my opinion.

Good FBL is where it's at
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
Old May 08, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,477 Posts
Thunder Tigers cost more, are easier to work on, don't have a head that was designed for 3D, so it has a lot more granular response, and it's mostly high quality plastics. Good plastics are generally more forgiving and durable than aluminum and CF, and don't transfer impact energy. It's just a personal preference. Of course, if it's flybarless, the differences are a lot less noticable. It depends more on what head you use.
Old May 09, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
I love my E325. Flies great. Performs well, and does do 3D with the stock head. Had mine out in 20km/hr+ with no problems. It is alot more solid then some of the others I have tried.
Digger1973 is online now Find More Posts by Digger1973
Old May 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1973 View Post
I love my E325. Flies great. Performs well, and does do 3D with the stock head. Had mine out in 20km/hr+ with no problems. It is alot more solid then some of the others I have tried.
For sure an E325 will do 3D, it just requires more skill.... which I don't have.
Old May 09, 2012, 09:51 AM
MS
Joined Jul 2005
245 Posts
Gotta agree with the crowd here. I have a E325 mini titan clone and its currently my fav. Flys alot bigger than what it is , supper smooth and stable. Always wanted to get a TT E325 but the clone just flies to good to retire.

mj147
mj147 is offline Find More Posts by mj147
Old May 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
119 Posts
IMO It's all about the electronics, not so much a clone 450. Of course the quality of the hardware should be decent, however if you have crappy electronics, you're risking a unwanted glitches which results in a crash. When people on the web say invest in good electronics, they really mean it; they are probably speaking out of experience too (like myself).

I went from a HK401B to a Spartan Quark MEMS gyro. Overkill you ask? No. The spartan quark is much much more insensitive to vibrations meaning even if ONE (that I missed) part on the main rotor head is a litttttle off, it could easily ignore the vibration. While with the HK401B, even if you get the gyro gain to 50% (lowest you can get) your helicopters tail will still sometimes be finicky and do unwanted turns.

Remember that one simple crash means lots of parts will be bent. Meaning downtime, and meaning a stock up on parts. Don't let glitches make your helicopter meet the ground, let your user error do that (although you should try to avoid it), you will feel much better at the end of the day.
feerof is offline Find More Posts by feerof
Old May 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Commander4
United States, CA, Golden Hills
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Hausler 450 Clone

I have had my Hausler 450 SE V2 for several months now and bought it as my first RC Helicopter. After several glitches, I replaced the radio with a DX6i and had a large learning curve there as well because it is my first computer radio. I have had a lot of problems with my Hausler including: 1 new motor, new tail blades, 1 new tailboom, and I am on my 3rd tail housing. These cheap tail housings start to loosen up thru normal use very quickly. Even with threadlock, they flex under load, and eventually become so loose the tail wags. Tightening the allen screws does not work because the heads stripout. If you compare the Align Tailbox with the Hausler's you can see Align uses a much better design, and higher quality screws. Now my Gyro trys to turn the heli to the right constantly making it impossible to fly. Do I replace the gyro, replace the tailbox with a genuine Align, or cut my losses and buy a higher quality Heli?
Commander4 is offline Find More Posts by Commander4
Old May 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
203 Posts
Go for an Align!
KM6VV is offline Find More Posts by KM6VV