HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 02:34 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
Build Log
Britkit Build Off May 2012-31/12/2012 - Keil Kraft Sportster x1.8

Spurred into action by the speed with which kkphantom's Gipsy is taking shape I thought I had better get weaving.

Why a scaled up KK "Eezeebuilt" Sportster? Well, the original was one of my first successful rubber powered models. Yes, flights were probably only about 20 to 30 seconds, but they seemed much longer then! I also have an affinity for the work of designer Albert E Hatfull, and he created a quirky little model with loads of character and an unusual and distinctive shape.

The original was an all sheet model and the kit parts were colour printed. Assembly was really quick and easy, here is the original plan:

There were several other models in the series, the Rapier swept wing, Sedan high wing and some scale models.

I had originally intended to build a 1.5 x version for electric and R/C, but a few calculations convinced me this was going to be a bit small in the fuselage for the equipment, so I revised my ideas to 1.8 x which should suit the little 40 watt outrunner I have very well and will easily accomodate a couple of 3.6 gram servos, an Orange 2.4 gig Rx and a 300 or 450 2S lipo.

As you will see from the plan the shapes are quite unusual, so to aid in accurate drawing of the scaled up building plan I first of all scaled the half wing and tail shapes up onto mount card templates as seen in the photo and then drew up the plans using these - makes sure both wings are the same!! I also made a similar template for the fin.

I'm just in the process of working out the structure, so far it looks like twin wing spars with webbing and a 3/16" x 3/32" bottom crutch to serve as a base for the mainly 1/16" sheet fuselage which is trapezoidal back to the wing trailing edge and triangular from there back.

More when I have got some woodwork together.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
subscribed!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old May 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Should keep you occupied for some of the rest of this month Nice one indeed. Probably what I might have gotten to fly as a kid!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
Probably a bit more than the rest of this month Dereck if progress so far is anything to go by! The weather has bucked up a bit at last this week which has meant long days trying to catch up with our rampant 3/4 acre of garden, fueled by all the rain in April this has responded to the temperature rise by trying to transform itself into the Amazon rain forest, with a fair degree of success! I am having to cut the grass, a close to 2 hour job even with the ride-on, every two days, you can SEE it (and the weeds, and the hedge, and everything else) growing!

I have managed to squeeze a couple of evenings flying in, mainly checking out several of the smaller models which I have just converted to 2.4 gig so that they benefit by losing the long trailing 35 MHz aerials, but building progress has been slow to the extent that I have only just finished drawing up the plans. However, just to give a bit of a boost to the flagging thread, here are two pictures I lifted from www.ffscale.co.uk (the source of my plan of the original) with acknowledgements to Mike, which show an original kit. I am going to attempt to recreate the colour scheme of course on mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
George,
Sell the ride-on, buy a goat. No more grass cutting! More model flying, making and time to enjoy a glass or two of fermented grape drink. Easy!
sparks
Old May 12, 2012, 07:42 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
You just reminded me why we bought a condo when we moved to Chicago. We can still see a couple of trees, but someone else deals with the incessant 'tree poop'.

Oddly enough, the drive to my nearest flying field - mowed by the local gov't - is less and easier than back in Maryland.

This model in its true colours will look real good.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
Progress at last

What with one thing and another I have been a little slow getting going on the Sportster. However, the plans are finished and as it has been pouring with rain all day today, precluding any work in the garden, I have finally got started.

I elected to go for a simple two spar structure for the wing, ribs had to be individually plotted and cut in pairs as they are all different, but this wasn't much of a chore. After cutting the other bits out - trailing edge and tips from 1/8" sheet, dihedral brace from 1/16" ply and then steaming some 3/16" square to a curve ready for the leading edge assembly of the simple wing was quick and easy. I built both outer panels first, joined by the dihedral brace and then built the little 1/16" sheet covered centre section on to them. I intend to mount the wing using a dowel at the front and two magnets at the back, so included some pieces cut and shaped from 1/4" sheet in the centre section for these items to be mounted into.

Having prepared a foam former for the tailplane outline, 3 lengths of 1/16" x 1/8" balsa, well soaked, were bent around this and allowed to dry before removing them, gluing up and refitting around the form. Once dried and removed from the form this unit is ready for the fitting of tailplane trailing edge for hinging elevators and internal structure.

Hopefully now I have managed to get started progress should be fairly rapid, it is after all a straightforward structure. Can't let myself be left too far behind kkphantom, the antipodean Billy Whizz!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
A bit more progress

I have completed the wing structure with riblets and diagonals and sanded it down, and built the tailplane/elevator. The elevator will be cut free and hinged before covering.

Total weight of the uncovered wing and tail is 22 grams/3/4 ounce.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Looking good George! Don't you go overtaking me now will you.
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old May 23, 2012, 03:09 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
Might just do that Gary. I have cunningly arranged to send Ali off on a five day shopping trip to the UK today, so maybe I might be able to burn a bit of midnight oil!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 04:07 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
OI ! not fair!
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old May 23, 2012, 06:04 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Coming along nicely George!
sparks
Old May 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
5 days without Da Management? You Sir, are a lucky man indeed.........
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 23, 2012, 07:03 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
5 days without Da Management? You Sir, are a lucky man indeed.........
Freedom is priceless... but George is going to pay for it when Ali gets to the shops!
Old May 23, 2012, 07:10 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
Freedom is priceless... but George is going to pay for it when Ali gets to the shops!
Yep, that's true, I'm alre4ady feeling a preliminary ache in the wallet area!!

Other thing is, for the first time since the beginning of April, the forecast for the next few days is for good flying weather.......
RCG Plus Member