SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Lberry.88, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2012, 01:54 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Discussion
Where is flying season?

It's now May - I feel the need to remind myself of that because looking out the window you wouldn't know it; we have had 5 weeks of pretty much constant rain. After one of the driest March on record we had the wettest April ever recorded, the south east of the UK received 145% expected rainfall and as I sit here there are still flood warnings in place for much of the south of the country. All of this means that time is being spent sorting things out and preparing for when the weather finally breaks!

So what have I been doing with my time? Tinkering, of course - and spending lots of money on gear and planes. I have added a backlight to my DX6i, using the Turnigy 9X kit from HK, the mod is simple enough, just a few screws and a bit of soldering and the result is excellent - I can finally seethe screen in all light. The DX6i went under the knife again today as I modded a LiPo transmitter pack, I have so many LiPo packs sitting about and figured it would save me having to buy more AAs or rechargeables, again it was simple enough to do, a few screws and a bit of soldering

Continuing with the transmitter theme I am looking at finally upgrading the DX6 to a DX8, the DX6i is fine but I do need a couple more channels for some of the scale stuff I have coming; will think about selling the DX6i to partly fund a replacement DX8 - hopefully the mods will add value.

I have had a clear out of the workshop, got round to tidying up the rubbish that one accumulates over the winter, to make space for a couple of new arrivals: I have a 1100mm Durafly A-1 Skyraider and an AXN Floater on their way to me. The AXN is just for some relaxing flying where as the A-1 is going to get a few more scale features, bomb drop and airbrakes - so long as I have a transmitter that can cope with 8 channels of course... Also on order from Hobby King is a single axis gyro - I have never used one before so will throw it in the AXN and see what is what.

the little flying I have been able to do has been good, the SPAD is now my favourite, especially after I added rigging which has stiffened up the wing immensely, she handles brilliantly, so relaxing but can roll on a dime if you really want to throw her about and for 50 it is a bargain!

Finally I have decided to mothball the Parkzone Spit, I have had her in the air a few times recently but have never really felt comfortable with her, I don't know why, so I have decided to pull out the gear and put it in another fuselage - advice or otherwise welcome!

Hopefully the weather will improve - but the forecast isn't great, so I may have more time to tinker and build; as soon as things arrive!
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
to remove ads between posts