HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 11:03 AM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
Discussion
My proposed setup (new to this stuff)

Looking to get good power for my 6.7lb scratchbuilt seaplane (see my blog for a video)...I'm limited to a 13" prop, probably be swinging the same 13x8 3-blade as shown in the video. I THINK a 14" Master Airscrew 3-blade will fit, as the 13x8 Master Airscrew 3-blade actually has a smaller disc diameter than the APC 12x6 2-blade I have- so I'm going to order one just to find out....

Anyway here is my proposed setup:

The motor I'm looking at is an EMP C5055 KV700
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....24&Location=LA

The battery would be a 4S 4-5000mah 25c

ESC I'm looking at is the Aeolian Evolution 80A
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001225810

I think this setup would give good power and probably mimic a .60ish size engine. I haven't found a calculator that I can plug the motor's specs into, but I've seen others getting good results with it. I'm looking for around 9-10lbs of thrust at full throttle, so that I can fly around at half throttle or less, get excellent thrust, and be able to extend my flight times as long as possible.

What do you guys think?
KMKAZE is offline Find More Posts by KMKAZE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 11:40 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,777 Posts
Motor should be OK, same for the battery, but The Aeolian anything has got togo!!!. Complete garbage!! Get a 80A Turnigy Plush along with its card, simple to set, about a bulletproof as they come. I've run 5 now without failure in several different planes for 4 yrs. FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old May 07, 2012, 02:43 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,463 Posts
I can't comment on the equipment, but I can recommend WebOCalc (http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com, go to the software tab) for trying out motors and props with your model. In my experience it's quite accurate in it's prop and performance predictions.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 09, 2012, 01:53 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I have a 5.5 lb trainer with a 770kv on 4S, if you are limited to a 13 inch prop and want close to 1:1 thrust (which you don't need) you will need more KV or a 5S or a 6S.

I can just hover for a few seconds with a 13x10 prop, but I'm going way beyond the rated 45 amps of my motor doing it.

You will get a little more thrust from a 3 blade, but my gut says you'll be a little down on power if you are going for something sporty.

If it's a low wing loaded floater, it would be quite sufficient, also if you aren't really looking for a lot of extra thrust.

All the above-my guess based on my plane, not the word of an expert.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old May 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I have a 5.5 lb trainer with a 770kv on 4S, if you are limited to a 13 inch prop and want close to 1:1 thrust (which you don't need) you will need more KV or a 5S or a 6S.

I can just hover for a few seconds with a 13x10 prop, but I'm going way beyond the rated 45 amps of my motor doing it.

You will get a little more thrust from a 3 blade, but my gut says you'll be a little down on power if you are going for something sporty.

If it's a low wing loaded floater, it would be quite sufficient, also if you aren't really looking for a lot of extra thrust.

All the above-my guess based on my plane, not the word of an expert.
Well of course I don't NEED a 1:1 thrust ratio, but it would be nice to have- as it would be neat to see the plane separate from the water and rocket straight up for some altitude.

I know the plane isn't a 3D design, but I'd like to have the power on demand if I need it, otherwise staying around 50% throttle and enjoying long flights.
KMKAZE is offline Find More Posts by KMKAZE