Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
cowls-DH 88

Thank you boys for your answers ;-))....

I informed Hobby King about that problem and got the information, that HK will try to offer that spare part in near future....hope dies last....
Thanks again
tom-tom
tom-tom is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,003 Posts
Alrighty then....just maidened this bird...had a rare beautiful weather day here in NW Ohio. After reading all the great information here I had some good starting points for set up. I took the weight out of the nose...a job, but well worth it. That allowed me to move my battery maybe 1/2 inch forward. Balanced the plane at 70mm. Added reflex to the ailerons. Ran it with a 2200mah turnigy 3 cell...everything is stock.
First thing I can say about this plane when setting it up/flying it is: think warbird. The manual didn't have any info on control throws and I read so many posts here I don't really remember what others were running. Having flown warbirds and other tip stalling planes in the past, I knew this plane did not need much elevator throw at all to get the job done. So I set the elevator on low rates to about 1/4 inch(5mm?) up and down for a total travel about 1/2 inch. This is CRUCIAL !!! After reading about it's snapping nature and high speed landings I had a notion there were some planes out there with waaaay too much throw on the elevator. With this plane or any warbird I set the elevator up to the point where I can pull all the way back on the elevator stick at cruising speed and not get a snap or wing drop. This will save you alot of snap/crash landings. I think the nose weight is part of the issue as well. With a CG of 63mm the thing is so nose heavy you need more elevator to get it to respond. So then you get a nose heavy bird with too much elevator throw snapping into the ground. That being said, with the elevator throw I use, one must be vigilant on landing as you will need much more stick to get it to respond. If you're not used to flying this way it will feel like you "ran out of elevator" before the wheels touch down. In the end though it will give you much more confidence knowing you can crank back on the elevator stick and not worry about a snap. Save the larger elevator throws for aerobatic/3d birds.
Flew 3 flights without much issue. Temp was about 47 degrees F, winds were about 5mph out of the south, 580 feet above sea level. This set me up for crosswind take offs and landings on my east/west runway(flying off a long blacktop parking lot). The plane handled really well with very little trim required. Maybe a 3 clicks of down elevator, 2 clicks of aileron trim. Grooves really well with nice big loops and I was surprised at the vertical this bird has. Good thrust and I was able to cruise very comfortably at about 5/8-2/3rds throttle. Throttle is never linear but I felt it could use just a bit more top end. First flight was 6 minutes. I added one minute to each consecutive flight, ending at 8 minutes for the final flight. Even then my battery showed 3.84 volts per cell. First landing was hot, taking the warnings here into account. Set down a little hard and put a very slight bend in one of the landing gear. Bent it back....yes the metal is soooooft. I was surprised how easy it was to bend them. I can see there's no way I could land this thing in the grass without trashing the gear. Fortunately the parking lot is a good spot to land. Next 2 landings I slowed down more each time. Final landing I was able to grease it in and had a hint of a flare. It still carries speed on landing but by the last attempt I didn't think it was excessive. My parking lot does have the disadvantage of speed bumps so this shortened my landing strip significantly. I'd say it gave me about 50 yards to work with. So I attempted to get it down just past the speed bump to give me room to roll out. I had about 10 yards of runway left when it stopped. In the end I am very pleased with this bird...we'll see how she holds up with more flights. I was going to do the flap mod but I don't really think I'll need it. The landing gear with their covers, actually make for a decent airbrake. I can see the bird bleed off a little speed when I drop the gear. Sorry for the windy post...ymmv !
AtomHeartMother is offline Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2011
270 Posts
Atom, Good information and congratulations on you successful flights.
NeilDahl51 is offline Find More Posts by NeilDahl51
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,219 Posts
I bought this DH 103 new but never flown. Beautiful old school build, throttles are on a torque tube one servo for both engines. It's way overweight 5lb 2 oz. 2 OS 15s. 45 inch wingspan.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5208459
Flew the Comet first to prepare for the maiden. Really helped calm my nerves. The Hornet flew surprisingly well and the stall is gentler than the Comet. Landing seemed easier too, slower.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined May 2012
336 Posts
I ordered this bird last week, I do have a grass field, BUT Am determined to keep the landing gear on and retractable. I've only seen one person put larger wheels on this thing, is there a reason for that?
I plan on going with a larger lighter thinner wheel. If I have to mod the nacelles than I will. What are you guys, who have flown this plane’s thoughts on this?
4bangen is offline Find More Posts by 4bangen
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,003 Posts
I won't put larger wheels on mine only because I intend to fly it off blacktop pretty much all the time. If I were flying off grass I would look at that as an option. Skinny wheels are definitely better in grass. I suspect if you go larger in diameter you'll need to carve out a little foam in the nacelles but I don't think that would be a big deal. Also depending how big you go, the plastic strut covers may get in the way...again not a real problem. I agree that this plane really pops with the retracts. I tend prefer any semi scale aircraft that are designed with landing gear, keep them. If I want to belly land, I fly my delta wings and stryker.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:47 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,608 Posts
I fly off a grass field. Depends how bumpy your grass field is and how long the grass.
I had one retract break on take off. Our field is rather bumpy. Re-glued. Found smoother spot and was okay. Actually used the ramp area. Landings are still an adventure as this plane tends to come in hot. Really need to fly her to the ground unless you have a very long runway. Still a head turner with the Cr props. I think it's one of those planes that could have been made better with a little extra effort. Make it bigger. Just my opinion.
- Hawk

-
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined May 2012
336 Posts
Got mine the day after Christmas, I put it together yesterday. Boy this thing is sexy. I took a look at the wheels, and I think I'm going to be able to work with it.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
270 Posts
It is a good idea to remove the plastic struts(4 screws) on each leg and then make sure the grub is nice and tight on the axle flat. (Re-install the plastic struts)

Neil
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:51 PM
Joined May 2012
336 Posts
ready for it's maiden. but the real question is, am I?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:02 AM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,003 Posts
You can do it ! Let us know how it goes..
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Mar 2011
270 Posts
Good Luck!!!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:20 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,608 Posts
Go for it ! Good luck !

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:50 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
210 Posts
It is a pussycat! Just maybe a little faster than you might think. Test your stall speed at higher altitudes, and keep your speed up in the turns. Landed good, but again, kind of fast. FUN palne!!
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined May 2012
336 Posts
here is my maiden. It handled takeoffs in grass like a champ, the landings would have been great but the left gear failed as soon as it touched down. But all and all, its a nice flying plane, and worth the cash. enjoy.
DH88 (5 min 2 sec)