HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Well the XMODS don't work. I also tried to swap the crystals around and they also don't work in the FOV tanks. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Now I dont know if these xmod crystals work in the VsTanks yet. I have to find where they put the crystals at in the tank first. I have the KV2 German tank. Which IR HL tanks did you buy and who did you buy them from? I have the King Tiger, Panther G, Stug, and 2 KV-1s. They all work very well. I also bought the T-34 and Tiger made by W.S.N. I dont like those to much. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tom
BigJack82 is offline Find More Posts by BigJack82
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Hmmm, sorry to hear the Xmods didn't work, especially since the poster on the Youtube video supposedly showed some that did work. Maybe you can get a response from him by posting to the video, see which exact Xmod chips he got. Maybe there are differences in newer/older model FOV tanks?

just a thought ... probably not your issue, buuuutttttt ... sure you put those crystals in the right way in both the controller & tank? Spin them around to change the pin & hole position of both of them inside the controller & tank, try again, swap them around again, just to make sure they are getting their maximum seating position ... sometimes I've had dead tanks because I placed the crystals in the VSTank or remote incorrectly, or didn't fully seat the pins into the pinholes well enough ... sometimes they were just picky, but finally worked right.

Well, good luck, again, sorry to hear about the continued issues.

On the other side ... I am getting a Panther G & KV-1 both with metal upgrades from Matomart. Panther should be here by Wednesday ... unfortunately the KV-1 will be delayed
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old May 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Now check this out. I decided to use my extra crystals I had from my Heng Long tanks and guess what, it worked. So maybe I can get another ten tanks to work along with the six FOV tanks. Now to your tanks. I got most of my tanks from there and they all work fine. Good luck. If you get the same crystals let me know.

Tom
Old May 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack82 View Post
Now check this out. I decided to use my extra crystals I had from my Heng Long tanks and guess what, it worked. So maybe I can get another ten tanks to work along with the six FOV tanks. Now to your tanks. I got most of my tanks from there and they all work fine. Good luck. If you get the same crystals let me know.

Tom
Well, the one thing I seem to find posted is that the Heng Long use 27MHz FM crystals. So are those new XMod crystals you received definitely FM or could they be 27MHz AM crystals instead?

That would probably be one reason they wouldn't have worked.

If you are talking about using 10 different sets of HL crystals along with 6 different sets of the FOV crystals, I still don't think you could get 10 + 6, because there would probably be duplicate frequencies which each are being used between both brands.

Not sure there are more than 12 completely different (legal) 27MHz frequency crystal sets to even use in the US:

01 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 26.975
02 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 26.995
03 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.025
04 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.045
05 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.075
06 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.095
07 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.125
08 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.145
09 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.175
10 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.195
11 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.224
12 - CRYSTAL SET FM 27MHZ 27.255
Old May 19, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
I will check them out tomorrow. Even if I can put 10 FOV tanks in a battle at one time that will be a leg up.

Thanks

Tom
Old May 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
I believe the VSTank crystals may be using the AM band, so your if your XMod crystals work in your VSTank, then I guess that's why they wouldn't work in the FOV tank. If you can't get them to work in any of your tanks, HL, FOV, or VSTank ... then I'm at a loss for what the deal is ...

But hey, anything more than just 6 maximum tanks is always going to be better , though I thought you were only using the 1/24 for garage battles ... dang, 10 tanks would be just a little crowded, wouldn't it? Unless you have one BigA** garage there BigJack ...

~ Craig ~
Old May 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Craig

I have four FOV and one VsTank. I also have 8 1/16 tanks and one in pieces. So my house is kinda full right now. I have them all over the place. I try to wait for a calm day to pull out my HL tanks, but for the last couple weekends the wind has been blowing pretty hard out here in Oklahoma. May the FOV tanks can battle with my HL tanks?

Tom
Old May 20, 2012, 07:19 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Actually, I don't believe any of the IR battle systems between these brands will work with one another right out of the box, as I guess the signal emitters/receivers are all just slightly different enough light wavelengths to not work with each other. Since I don't have any other IR tanks besides VSTanks myself right now, I couldn't absolutely varify this.

Even the HL tanks need to be updated to work with the Tamiya IR battle systems before they work, & those two brands are probably the most used combination for cross brand battles in the 1/16 clubs I've read about.

What was kind of a neat thing I did, was program my Harmony 880 TV remote to be able to shoot my VSTanks ... haha , I did this so I could more easily lower a tank's initial number of hits to compensate for either tank class or for leveling a playing field when we had "experts" vs. some rookies. It saved battery, was less noisy, & saved time using the remote to shoot a tank down a few notches rather than using another tank!

~ Craig ~
Old May 28, 2012, 07:53 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack82 View Post
Craig

I have four FOV and one VsTank. I also have 8 1/16 tanks and one in pieces. So my house is kinda full right now. I have them all over the place. I try to wait for a calm day to pull out my HL tanks, but for the last couple weekends the wind has been blowing pretty hard out here in Oklahoma. May the FOV tanks can battle with my HL tanks?

Tom
Well Tom, have you tried the FOV against the HL tanks IR system to see if there was any compatibility?

I had tried my new HL Panther G with my VSTank & no response at all, which I figured anyway.

I'm guessing no luck it works if you have tried the FOV & HL against each other too ... also, I did send you a PM a while ago about some FOV stuff being sold on another forum, you just not interested in collecting any more FOV, or was the pricing wrong?

~ Craig ~
Old May 29, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Craig

No I haven't. This weekend was one project after another. I had to get old man winter out of my backyard. Thanks for the information of the FOV tanks for sale. I am hinting around to my kids about Father's Day being around the corner.

I also finished that 1/24 scale house I have been working on and it looks GREAT! I will try to get new pictures out of the finished product sometime this week. I am almost finished with a second house. All I have to do with the second house is put the glass and curtains in all the windows and put a roof on it. I also started to build a factory building where tanks can go through it. I working out the kinks with the doors shutting after the tank go through. I will get those picture out as soon as I can.

Craig, thanks for all of your help.

Tom