HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
Question
Unimax Forces of Valor 1/24 RC Channels

Can the FOV 1/24 RC Tank's channel be changed to a different one?

I bought a broken FOV tank very cheep, in the hopes of using the crystal inside. I opened the tank to see where the crystal was and I could not find it. Is there a crystal in these tanks that can be changed?

Any info on this matter would help!!!!!!

Thanks

Bigjack
BigJack82 is online now Find More Posts by BigJack82
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 11:54 AM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Hey BigJack,
From what little I have read about them, I have read several owners discuss having to be sent new crystals to fix issues, & they mentioned it being rather easy to switch them out ... so I assume you can change them yourself.

Hopefully another FOV owner will be able to point you in the right direction quickly, & I'll keep poking around for directions too.

Might also be good to let everyone know which tank model needs the change, because depending on the type of tank with the VSTanks, the crystal could be in different locations. In the Abrams & Leopard's, it's located in the underside of the turrets & visible, while on the Tiger I it's placed into a tank part & separate holder piece that then plugs into the back of the tank where it is completely hidden unless you pull the little piece out of the tank.

Maybe FOV does one of these things with their crystals. Good luck finding it ... it should be found somewhere , of course, unless the original owner themselves have already removed the crystal?

You might not get a reply, but it might still be worth while to try the FOV contact page right away in case you do get one from them @ http://www.forcesofvalor.com/contact.php

They don't always respond as a few of us have found out, but they do respond sometimes, & it can take a few days, but if you can't find the info here or elsewhere on your own, then the sooner you try their customer service, the better I suppose.

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Last edited by badassforce; May 06, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
Thanks Craig, I found the crystal for the T-34. You have to open the driver's hatch. Now I have to put the the tank back together. FUNSVILLE!

Bigjack
Old May 06, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
And for the Panzer IV on the back end, left side next to the black exhaust pipe. You need to pull it out.
Old May 06, 2012, 12:32 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
I figured by now, someone, somewhere, would have posted some pics or at least more detailed info as to where to find them for each tank, considering they have been around for a while, yet I didn't find any pictures or actual detailed instructions yet searching.

So I'm glad you found them, as I was just about to post some other rather vague info I found on RCU tank forum where an FOV owner said, "another thing there is a crystal some place on the tank that could be pulled out FOV hids them pretty well most times behind a plastic pannel that is raised on the tanks or hid behind a object."

~ Craig ~
Old May 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
Yep, and that is where they are at. Of course you have to take the top off to follow the wires back to them. I wonder if the vstank crystals would work?

Bigjack
Old May 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
Hey does anyone know where I can buy extra crystals for the FOV 1/24 tanks. I have a two tanks with the same channel (4).
Old May 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack82 View Post
Hey does anyone know where I can buy extra crystals for the FOV 1/24 tanks. I have a two tanks with the same channel (4).
Have you tried going to the FOV site & asking their own customer service for possible locations? Might as well try that route as well while waiting to get answers here, couldn't hurt, & sometimes they do respond.

I found a one place that list FOV crystal sets, however, I have no idea about the site & it's not in the US.

http://shop.xion.de/Forces-Of-ValorR...ntrol:::1.html

I wonder if the VSTank crystal sets would work in FOV, looking at the pictures of those above they look just about identical to them & VSTank crystals are found easily. I know there are some tank clubs, whose members frequent RCUniverse, where they own both brands. Maybe someone there could offer some good advice or places to get them.

EDIT: Hey, I just came across a Youtube video that shows someone using an X-mod crystal set in their FOV tank, so that may be what you can do for extra crystals!

Here are the links:
Youtube FOV tank using X-mod crystal set
eBay X-mod crystals

Regards,
Craig
Last edited by badassforce; May 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
Craig

You are the man!!!! Thanks. I spent countless hour searching the net for anybody that sales parts for the FOV. I will check out the site, THANKS.

Tom
Old May 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
Craig

The crystals look like they will work in the video, maybe I'll take a chance and see if they work.

Thanks

Tom
Old May 15, 2012, 06:57 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Craig

The crystals look like they will work in the video, maybe I'll take a chance and see if they work.

Thanks

Tom
I have also stumbled upon another interesting tactic posted elsewhere if you have 2 tanks with the same crystal sets, though it sounded odd that it would work.

Take the crystals from the 2nd tank with the duplicate set, and just swap them around, placing the the crystal from the 2nd tank's remote into the 2nd tank, & the crystal from the 2nd tank over into the 2nd tank's remote.

I have some duplicate crystal sets for my VSTanks from when I first purchased them, but got Toyeast to send me a couple new sets I didn't have so I never really sat down & tested any alternatives. I just tested this theory using duplicate pairs of the #5 crystals I have, & wouldn't you know, it worked, but with some oddities at times I might add!

So I am running 2 M1A2 Abram VSTanks on the same #5 crystals, though at times there seems to be some overlap or interference with each other when both remotes & tanks are turned on, where sometimes each tank will respond when it is not supposed to be responding. But it does work pretty good IMO, & could be good enough of a switch to use until you can get more crystals.

Want even more odd behavior, but kind of cool, if I remove the crystal from one tank, & keep both remotes on, I can still use that same tank's remote to control it normally (without the other tank responding) even though it now has no crystal in it, & at the same time I can also use the other tanks remote to control both tanks identically ... haha! I'm sure there are other variants depending on what's on/off too, but that was kind of neat to see. Guess this is a typical odd behavior since one control is using the Tx crystal while the other control is using an Rx crystal.

Anyhow, try this technique, as it did work for me & my VSTanks using their 27MHz crystals, & let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Craig
Old May 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
Craig

Sound wild!!!! I will try this method hopefully tomorrow. Oh by the way I bought the XMOD crystals. Hey $20 bucks. I wanted to see what they will do. I called both Radio Shacks in town and they did not have them. So I figure no guts no glory. They should be here this Saturday.

Thanks

Tom
Old May 19, 2012, 01:46 AM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Craig

Sound wild!!!! I will try this method hopefully tomorrow. Oh by the way I bought the XMOD crystals.
Tom
Ever get a chance to try the crystal swap method?

Curious to see if it worked for your FOV tanks like it did for my VSTanks.

Guess it won't matter if you got your Xmod crystals already ... so how have the Xmod crystals worked out if you have them?
Old May 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Jun 2011
120 Posts
I did not get to it. Too much going on. I will try to run that test tomorrow (Sunday). Those XMODS crystals should be delivered today and I also want to see if the XMODS crystals will work in the VsTank that I have.

Tom
Old May 19, 2012, 12:12 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Hope the Xmods work for your FOV tanks, & it will be nice to know if they work in the VSTanks too ... though I'm already assuming they will anyway.

If this technique of swapping the crystals around actually works well enough, without experiencing consistent or continual glitching & signal interference, then it could be possible to have as many as 24 VSTanks or FOV tanks running in a single battle against each other ... that would be awesome to see!

Oh, & just a few days ago (after receiving an email from the owner of Toy East, the VSTank maker) I decided it was time to focus more on the bigger 1/16 scale tanks instead ... so I ordered two Heng Long 1/16 Super IR tanks to start my new collection!