HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 05:56 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Discussion
FBL - for beginners?

Seen arguments for and against, for a CP beginner would it make more sense to start off with a flybar setup or go FBL? Also, can a DX6i be used, or would I need an extra channel? (I'm talking 450 T-Rex clone BW).

Just need to know now, before I take posession of my new Tx that I've ordered
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 07:29 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
It is great for beginners.
Your radio is fine.

People saying to learn flybar set up before FBL are crazy.
The two are completely unrelated....It's like saying you have to learn to shoot a bow and arrow before you can shoot a gun...

There is nothing about a flybar that you will ever learn that helps with FBL...Actually,it will be the opposite.
The mechanics are different and flight characteristics are different.

Go straight to FBL.
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
Old May 06, 2012, 07:58 AM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
164 Posts
Although I wouldn't have thought so before now I would agree with what McKrackin is saying regarding the FBL vs FB for begineers.
What helped me more than anything when I was JUST starting out was the wonderful www.rchelicopterfun.com "e" book and the videos available free on You Tube the same gentleman produces, John Salt.
He recommended a Blade 400 (now 450) because of widely available and inexpensive parts, the combo that comes with those helis and your radio as a matter of fact becuase it's an amazing radio for the money. Then he has you setting up the heli with incredibly reduced control responses and trainng gear. Don't listen to any clueless individual that 'doesn't like' training gear. They aren't buying your parts. The idea is for the begineer to slowly gain confidence. He then has the new pilot slowly increase responsiveness but only after certain milestones are learned. It freakin works" .
What I'm getting at is this : The Blade 450 , or any name brand (unless you want two new hobbies, one to learn how much money you have to pour into off-brand junk) competitor with a FBL head set up with super mellow 'begineer' settings is stupendously stable, way more resistant to wind, there's a ton of positives.
I completely disagree with the T-Rex clone bud. Others may differ, but unless it's one someone experienced has already unscrewed you're likely to be in for a lot of misery, especially if all the electronics are straight out of a Hobby King flyer. If you go screwing around with a cheapo FBL head set-up you're really in for it. Man, you can get a t-rex 450 ,Blade 450, etc. with all electronics that are at least pretty darn good for not much more than that stuff. It's your money though...and your time.
There's a reason many,many, actually most...experienced flyers avoid that stuff like the plague. A lot of people wlil jump in all defensive about it, but facts are facts. People that buy the name,established, warrantied brands are not stupid,and the 'clone' crew are not 'wise buyers' who discovered something we stupidly overlooked. We've looked. Have we ever.
Lastly you may hear some advise flying with all controls at 100% 3-D throws, or flying some unstable,obsolete clunker will make you a " better pilot".
Wrong. That's the same as learning to fly with a stick of dynamite stuck in some,er, orifice in your body then thinking the distraction will make you a 'better pilot".
What makes you a better pilot is good equipment properly and appropriately set-up for your skill level , patience, and practice.
Good luck, it's a great hobby. Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Last edited by doug47; May 06, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 08:00 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Mr. Mckraken is mostly correct. Flying FBL and with a FB are not completely unrelated, if you can fly a FB heli, you can fly a FBL and vice versa but if you can't fly anything setting up either can be challenging.

If you want to start with a FBL kit that you are going to assemble, go for a more expensive FBL unit like a BeastX, some of the lower cost units have have pretty complicated setup routines.

If you are starting out from scratch, I recommend getting something like a Blade 450. If you are getting a kit, hook up with a mentor who knows how a heli should fly to help you set it up. Once you can hover and do FFF, you should be able to pick up, program, and test fly your own FBL heli.

which ever route you go, it will be fun so just get going
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old May 06, 2012, 08:21 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Mr. Mckraken is mostly correct. Flying FBL and with a FB are not completely unrelated, if you can fly a FB heli, you can fly a FBL and vice versa

I said nothing you learn on a FB SET UP will help with FBL.
Flying has nothing to do with that.
Old May 06, 2012, 09:04 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'm still very much feeling the water ATM. My B120SR and Phoenix sim will be my weapons of choice for quite a while yet! I do plan on building a cheap 450 clone, because I already have some parts for it, but that will be more of an educational thing for me - and it will be something I enjoy doing.

Ultimately I will probably buy something off the shelf,more than likely FBL, but in the meantime I will have 2 hobbies - flying 1, building another...even if the built one does end up being an ornament lol
Cheers
Old May 06, 2012, 09:41 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrackin View Post
I said nothing you learn on a FB SET UP will help with FBL.
Flying has nothing to do with that.
Being able to test fly a setup and knowing how a heli should fly is VERY important in setting up a heli, FB or FBL. It is the ultimate goal and if you cannot hover you will not really be able to understand what changing those 62 parameters in your FBL controller is going to do to the flight characteristics of your heli. That's why you need a mentor if you don't already know how to fly. I think it is important for someone considering a FBL kit for their first heli.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old May 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Being able to test fly a setup and knowing how a heli should fly is VERY important in setting up a heli, FB or FBL. It is the ultimate goal and if you cannot hover you will not really be able to understand what changing those 62 parameters in your FBL controller is going to do to the flight characteristics of your heli. That's why you need a mentor if you don't already know how to fly. I think it is important for someone considering a FBL kit for their first heli.
OK for you painfully obvious guys...Yes,the controls on the radio work the same as in LEFT RIGHT UP and DOWN......

Setting up a flybar head has NOTHING helpful to teach you about FBL helis.

I would think the flying skill part would be a given but evidently not.
So you guys that want to argue that ridiculous point...you win.lol...

And no mentor here.I've never even seen another heli fly besides mine.
All self taught and FBL was the easiest part to learn and my skills didn't progress til I ditched that worthless outdated POS on the head.
Old May 06, 2012, 03:57 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
FBL controllers are not hard to set up and that 62 parameter crack comes from an obvious mountain of inexperience.

BeastX controllers are good to go out of the box and no need to change anything until AFTER you learn to fly.

V Bar has a set up wizard that leads you through the set up...Does a mechanical flybar explain itself as you go?
Old May 06, 2012, 06:10 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I'm actually thinking about a Blade 450 FBL. Comes with DX6i Tx, which is worth at least half the purchase price! Is this a good choice for a beginner to CP? Can it be tamed a bit, to try and make it a bit more user friendly? I can hover a tamed down one ok on Phoenix, but the default version is still a bit of a handful to me!
Old May 06, 2012, 06:14 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrydad View Post
I'm actually thinking about a Blade 450 FBL. Comes with DX6i Tx, which is worth at least half the purchase price! Is this a good choice for a beginner to CP? Can it be tamed a bit, to try and make it a bit more user friendly? I can hover a tamed down one ok on Phoenix, but the default version is still a bit of a handful to me!

That's an excellent combo and yes,it's easy to tame them down.
Very visual and very easy adjustments on the FBL unit and changing rates and expo in the radio is also a breeze.

E-Flite Blade 450X Flight by Bert Kammerer (4 min 2 sec)
Old May 06, 2012, 06:32 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I can pick up a flybar version RTF for fairly cheap from my LHS - is a FBL conversion plausible? Maybe after the first couple of crashes have already damaged the main rotor? Looks like I could do that a fair bit cheaper than buying the FBL version outright. Plus I could "Spread" the cost a bit, which makes it easier to explain to the minister for finance lol
Old May 06, 2012, 06:37 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
You can always convert it to FBL but the extra cost is ridiculous.

You'll have over $300 in a decent conversion.
Add that to the purchase price and............

I'm here to tell you that FBL is easier to fly and learn with no matter what anyone says.

I have been doing 3D for a couple years and I'm still barely capable of forward flight with a flybar.

FBL is as simple as pushing a button to make the heli docile or aggressive.
Old May 06, 2012, 06:52 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Ok, that has won me over! I did see some conversion kits for around the 100 buck mark but wondered how good they were. Off to talk to my LHS about a payment plan lol
Old May 06, 2012, 06:55 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Good luck and happy shopping.lol...