SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by foufly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Discussion
The Cleat

Three versions : the chuckie that started it, a soarer, and FPV version.
The most elegant flyer I have designed.
With recent models.
The Cleat is my best FPV plane,stable and predictable with a steady climb, totally controllable, cruises dead flat and thermals easily. Has low drag so does regular altitude flights , without thermals, of 35 to 40 mins; using a 3S 2200 power battery; It uses the cheapest motor and ESC on the market ( the EMAX CF2812) and two 9gm servos.. I have had it to 1800m's using thermals..

Full plan available with FPV details,( and list of best equipment for medium range flying). I will send it for $20 post included.
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Last edited by foufly; May 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: additions
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sometimes it work some don't
╔mirats arabes unis, Ras el Kha´mah, Ras Al-Khaimah
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Great looking design buddy, do you have a plan to share for this build, altought it look pretty simple to build still would be better to have something concrete from the designer stand point of view.

Cheers in advance.
RCSquale is offline Find More Posts by RCSquale
Old May 08, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Glad you like it. It is a pure delight to fly , low passes or high in thermals.
Plans take far too much effort for me .
I build them all much the same way.
Lay out the shape on paper cut out top and bottom in 3mm depron .I use a quite thin section ,flat bottomed, cutting ribs out of 6mm depron or balsa , 5mm apart.I put a 4mm carbon tube down each wing and a short one across the middle. I cover with light tissue paper glued on with water based varnish. Pictures in my blog. good luck!
Old May 08, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
What I'll do is to make it out of 5mm depron and do a kFm2 wing style... 3mm depron is not available here in the UAE unfortunately...
Old May 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Now how about CG and power system? I'm planning to use 2822 with 8x4 prop and 1300 mAh 3cells batt. 2 servos 9gr.

Provide me some more details if you can. Is it a proper circle? What is generally the size of it, for the big ones?
Old May 09, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
I will do a photo from above. That motor will do fine .Try a 8075 HD prop ,ABC or GWS
Old May 10, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Cheers buddy awaiting furter update from your side. I actually need something easy and quick to build for the time being and don't want to redo a model that I have build already so I'm definitly looking for something different and yours are really looking cool and easy to build in few hours time and that is what I'm looking for right now.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
hi , I have tried four times to load more pics, it won't work.There must be a problem at the moment.
CG about one third in from the trailing edge. Copy the shape ,roughly round ,it is sure to work.It is not critical. It is the distance that the elevons and fins are back that counts.
Peter.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
No worries Peter, when you said 1/3 from leading edge, you are talking 1/3 from the nose right...

Just provide me roughly the diametre of the biggest one you made like the FPV type as I prefer to make it pusher instead of tractor and I'll try my best to copy your design. I'll keep the plan I'll make and if I'm succesfull, I can upload my plan in your thread with your permission of course.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
I am making a full-size, detailed plan as i am convinced this is the ideal FPV plane. I will post a description of it's flight,and photos,construction ,etc
I am thinking of asking $20 ,including post for the 12 sheets of A4; sent in an en velope like a magazine. All the FPV info will be on it.
Tell me if you are interested.
Peter.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Thanks Peter, that is a nice thought. But I can get my depron very cheap over here and I'm not going to make FPV right now so not for me this time. But thank you for the proposal