HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

rcFlyingBird.com's 2.4 GHz Avitron Review

Everything advances with technology, and ornithopters are no exception. The new Avitron was introduced a few years back, now is exclusively distributed by rcFlyingBird.cpm. At 8.5 grams and a 100 yard range the little bird is some great flying fun.

Splash

Introduction

I have flown these mechanical birds before and have enough experience to know weight is everything. A few extra grams here and there and you have a bird that does not want to fly well. The Avitron was designed by Edwin van Ruymbeke who has lots of history with his father the inventor of the Tim Bird. Released to some degree in 2009, rcFlyingbird.com is the exclusive distributor of the Avitron in the US.

Wingspan:33cm
Weight:8.5 grams
Length:6.69" 17cm
Wing Weight/Wing Area:3.22 g/dm. sq.
Range:100 yards
Transmitter:2 channel 2.4 GHz.
Receiver:2 channel 2.4 GHz. Multi-Frequency Ė up to 6
Battery:40 mAh LiPo
Motor:0.8 watt
Charger:Included in transmitter
Charge Time:12 minutes
Motors:2 ultra-micro size brushed
Motor Speed Unloaded:53,000 RPM
Motor Speed Loaded:35,000 RPM
Wing Speed:Up to 17 flaps/sec
Wing Amplitude:55 degrees
Charges on AA batteries:Up to 75 charges
Maximum Static Thrust:5 grams
Available From:rcFlyingbird
MSRP:$99.00

Kit Contents

The packaging is excellent, and mine arrived with no damage. I thought the manufacturer did a quality job of making sure nothing moves around during shipping.

The kit comes complete with a foam molded body with the all the electronics installed. An extra set of wings and transmitter knobs are also provided. A small group of aluminum tape strips are also included which are needed to tune the wings.

Kit Includes

• 8.5 gram lightweight airframe ($55 replacement)
  • Hybrid LiPo battery
  • Transmitter with auto-off ($35 replacement)
  • Transmitter includes battery charger for Avitron
  • Instruction manual in two languages
  • Wing set ($8.00 replacement)
  • Tail ($5.00 replacement)
  • Thermal overload protection

Kit requires

• 6 AA Batteries

Wings

The wings are very lightweight liquid crystal and polymer composition and are covered with a reflective prism Mylar. They are durable, yet provide the lift necessary in a very elegant manner (see video). The motor is capable of moving the wings at incredible speeds of 17 flaps per second using self lubricating polyacetate materials. Motor RPM with fully loaded wings is near 35,000.

Fuselage

The Avitron has a molded body with a postage stamp size ESC (.06g). The LiPo and two motors are housed inside. The single antennae stick out the top by a few inches with a micro switch also located on the top. The underside has a small charging port.

Tail

The tail does not really steer the Avitron by rotating back and forth (see video). Rather watch the video and notice how the movement of the tail deflects the wings which do in fact turn the Avitron. The tail is adjustable with five different settings for different speeds of flight.

Charging

The transmitter supplies the power for as many as 75 charges on a single set of high quality batteries. Each charge takes about 12 minutes. A blinking light on the transmitter shows the charge is underway and glows green when the charge is complete. The power should be turned off on the Avitron receiver before initiating a charge.

The binding sequence is pretty easy to read and confirm. When you turn on the transmitter the lights will flash between green and red. When you turn on the receiver, the lights on the transmitter will quit flashing. For my Avitron frequency, the red light stays lit. You will have a red light on the transmitter and the receiver. If you turn off the receiver while the transmitter is still on and then turn the receiver back on it will not bind and you will see inside the body a red and green flashing sequence. Turn the transmitter back off and then back on and the two will bind.

Assembly and test Flights

There is no assembly required, and all that is needed is to charge up the on-board battery and start flying. Tuning of the wings is required and this procedure takes a few flights. You hand launch the Avitron. Note the direction it tends to go and add weight to the tip of the opposite wing. Continue this until you have directional control. You want the bird to fly straight, and when you input controls, it should turn.

Flying

A very gentle hand toss will put the Avitron into the air.

It took me at least five of six flights to get the Avitron flying under my control. Wind is definitely a consideration. I flew in the evening in pretty much calm winds to adjust the wings and take the video. This is a great indoor flyer, so do not hesitate to fly some indoors. Check out some of rcFlying's videos on their website showing indoor flying.

You have the ability to control the flight throttle and still keep the Avitron in the air. If you cut back the throttle the Avitron will begin to descend. If you increase the throttle it will rise. Setting on the tail elevation will impact how quickly it rises and descends. The tail will control the direction, and you have to get used to not cramming the stick right and left as the flight will be more realistic if you are gentle. You can, in fact, over steer while gliding.

It will also glide to the ground. You can gain some altitude and cut the throttle back, and by inputting slight stick movements, keep it pretty straight. Too much movement and it will enter a stall spin and softly descends to the ground. If you fly off of grass it will be almost impossible to cause any damage from even a hard landing. Almost all of my powerless landings were spins.

Is This For a Beginner?

I am not sure about a beginner simply because one has to understand how to make sure it will be trimmed. The cautions provided (see below) are very clear on how to handle the Avitron as well, so it takes a gentle, educated grip.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

The Avitron is fun. It is an upgrade to 2.4 GHz and once you learn to fly the little bird you gain some new flying skills. It has flight duration of up to six minutes, so you can get two or three flights in over lunch including charges. Overall, I found the Avitron to be an excellent blend of design, micro technology and durability.

Avitron Caution Statements

Avitron looks rather fragile and delicate, how should I handle it?

This product was tested for a lifespan of hundreds of cycles in flight; however it remains a high technology product that should be handled with care when not flying. Avoid seizing it by the wings or tail, but rather by its foam body. Take caution so the wings and tail do not snag anything. Never leave the Avitron stored on the wings, below another object, or under direct sunlight. Place it carefully and gently on the charging port, there is no force involved. The Avitron will fit very easily on the charging port. Be very careful in the event of replacing a wing.

Is the Avitron safe for my children?

It is strongly recommended not to let children handle the bird, or pick it up from the ground after a flight. On the other hand, according to their aptitude, they can certainly try to control it in the air, under adult monitoring. Or simply enjoy watching Avitron flying !

Is the product guaranteed?

This product is warranted against defects in material and workmanship under normal use (as described in the manual supplied) for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase (Keep your purchase receipt and original box.)

*Nice Stuff

• The weight
  • Wing movement frequency
  • Controllability
  • Range over 100 feet

*Not Nice

• Tuning the wing can be frustrating. You just have to get the right amount of weight on the wing tip.
Last edited by 78dave; May 16, 2012 at 07:46 PM..

Discussion

Old May 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Looks sweet up in the air! But Hummm...100 yards? wondering about the possibility of swapping out for a better reciever / Transmitter?
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old May 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,106 Posts
Green sceen videos don't do much for me.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old May 18, 2012, 05:10 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I would like to see what is inside. Weight again is the critical element. Even a 1/2 gram will create problems.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 07:26 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,872 Posts
100 yards = 300 feet. I would think that's plenty of range for something so small. My eyes, however, may not be as good as others. Nice review Dave, thanks!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old May 18, 2012, 07:32 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,160 Posts
it says 100feet
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old May 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,304 Posts
can I bind this to my DX7 ?
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old May 18, 2012, 12:29 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
435 Posts
No. Different protocol. Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old May 19, 2012, 04:31 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Seems to me I read both distances so I went with the lessor.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 08:48 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,507 Posts
Thats very cool, right on man!
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old May 21, 2012, 11:24 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Sorry for any confusion, the range is approximately 100 yards, but in my experience you cannot see the bird well enough after about 45-50.

Bob, not sure what you mean by green screen, Dave's videos were actual footage, as is the one on my site. They fly really well in calm weather and even better indoors. I can post up some pictures of the internals if anyone would like to see.

-Ty
Sky HawK is offline Find More Posts by Sky HawK
Old May 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,364 Posts
I really like this. Its looks to be a really good product.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 22, 2012, 05:41 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Ty, please post your pictures and feel free to link you videos. Information is what RCG is all about.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 08:47 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
99.00.... pretty pricey. My radio shack bat at 35.00 a few years ago flys just as well as the video and was easy to trim. But a nicer looking bird I will admit.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old May 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
99.00.... pretty pricey. My radio shack bat at 35.00 a few years ago flys just as well as the video and was easy to trim. But a nicer looking bird I will admit.

Stringfly <>+++++
For the technology involved I think it's priced decently. I have no control over it however.

Wast the bat 2.4? Proportional throttle/steering? Replacement parts available? Someone like me on the forums for active support? Just other things to consider with the pricetag..
Sky HawK is offline Find More Posts by Sky HawK