SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
96 Posts
Rant
WOW.... Retailing at its worst

Owning a specialty retail store the past 20 years, MY store has survived this economy because of customer service. I can not fathom having a specialty retail operation, in this economy, that offers ZERO customer service. Not to even mention, running a website that CLEARLY STATES that even though they are a Walkera Dealer, there is ZERO warranty, and ZERO customer support. It is nice of them to refer customers that need support directly to our forums

Linked directly from the site.....

It's recommended that you possess basic technical knowledge or a positive attitude to learn the repair side of this hobby. Due to the nature of this hobby all support must be obtained directly from http://www.rcgroups.com/micro-helis-42/ and there is no phone support available. You are purchasing products under the same terms as factory direct from Walkera of China and there is no warranty or return allowed. Please make sure you know what you are ordering. Orders may not be changed or cancelled because our fast shipping time means your order is usually processed immediately. All products are shipped FOB California USA and no shipping insurance is included. However, Walkera Direct's checkout process does provide optional coverage for lost package(s). All helicopter packages are inspected by Walkera's manufacturing and quality assurance process. And Walkera Direct will test fly each helicopter again in California before it's shipped to you. But, even with strict quality control, there is always a chance for factory defects or shipping damage. By purchasing from this wholesale store you are agreeing to take full responsibility including but not limited to labor, parts and shipping charges to fix any and all possible defects related but not limited to the design, manufacturing & shipping process. At Walkera Direct, we are up front with customers on what we can provide and we don't make promises that we can't keep. All Walkera Helicopters packages that you purchase from this store are brand new from the factory with original Walkera accessories & packaging. Most 4-Pack Walkera Helicopters are protected by a corrugated shipping carton. For smaller shipments, we will provide additional shipping cartons to protect the original Walkera color boxes.
Walkera Direct offers absolutely the lowest factory direct prices and the fastest shipment from a USA based warehouse to domestic and international destinations.

And yes... The the RCGroups address is a link on their site ....

Should we feel honored?
PCaola is offline Find More Posts by PCaola
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 07:46 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Sounds reasonable.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 05, 2012, 08:46 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
At least they are honest and up front about it. Warranty and support doesn't come free, and some people (like myself) would rather take the chance and save the money.
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old May 05, 2012, 09:48 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,057 Posts
your better off playing the lottery , you can actually win with better odds
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old May 06, 2012, 01:09 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Let's face it. We're comparing Walkera with zero support and Horizon with the best support in the industry. Polar opposites. Though both business models are arguably among the most successful.

I choose to do business with Horizon. I value recourse if what I receive is DOA. How can we value a product if we don't know whether what we receive will work at all or not?

Some of that is just me. Some is economics. Since Horizon knows they have warranty liability, they engineer and QC their products to a higher level because it cuts into their profit every time they ship junk. In broad terms it's called reputation.

Since Walkera disclaims all liability, they have little incentive to supply a product more likely to work than not. What the frontporch? They'll just discontinue it in 3 months anyway. That's THEIR reputation. There are a lot of buyers who don't mind/care.

Again, just me, but I don't admire the "you bought it, it's your problem" business model of denied liability. It's a license to ship ANYthing. And I don't want to buy "just anything".
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 06, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Let's face it. We're comparing Walkera with zero support and Horizon with the best support in the industry. Polar opposites. Though both business models are arguably among the most successful.
This is far too simplistic. I get ZERO support for HH products in Hong Kong whereas I get some support for Walkera products. The vendor would have to send the defective part back to the US in order to exercise any warranty: no wonder they are unwilling to do so. This is the same situation with Walkera vendors in the US. DOA Walkera helis and parts are covered and easily exchanged in Hong Kong. Vendors will send defective transmitters back to China for repair for free. Every Walkera heli that I bought came with a warranty card. It seems that for some reason, those that are sold in the US do not.

I cannot contact HH direct in the US for support. Why should buyers in the US be able to contact Walkera in China for support either? The issue is that HH functions as a distributor as well as a manufacturer, whereas Walkera is purely a manufacturer. HH does provide good service for other brands such as Align in the US as well.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; May 06, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
You're right. That was only the US perspective. And transshipping individual defective items around the world would cancel not only the profit for one sale but probably 3.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 06, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2012
54 Posts
Although I love my walkera birds I've seen first hand that they don't have any support from their sellers. The motor pinion on my v200d03 slid up the shaft on its third flight leaving it in flight without rotor power. It fell about 8' to the ground luckily I was over grass so no damage. Contacted wow and well after a few days I was told that it was basically my problem. I've been more focused on my blade models since then.

HH always responds to my inquiries and has sent parts to resolve problems which is a far cry from walkera. With that said I won't be buying any of the larger more expensive walkera models.
HRPuffnstuff is offline Find More Posts by HRPuffnstuff
Old May 07, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
I'd say list them here and see how they like people using their site without permission. Referring your customers to a hobby site for support, really?
Dave John32 is offline Find More Posts by Dave John32
Old May 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave John32 View Post
I'd say list them here and see how they like people using their site without permission. Referring your customers to a hobby site for support, really?
The general internet rule is you can put a link to someone's site if you want to and there's not a damn thing they can do about it. There is no such thing as "using the site without permission" as there's no permission required to create a link, and you can not claim any damages if someone does. This is in spite of the fact that someone linking to your site actually could cause damage.

Referring your customers to a knowledgeable and helpful group of folks such as US isn't really the problem - the dealer is doing what they can to help. The problem is that many people probably don't notice it, and are surprised when they have a problem with their product and there is no support available - in spite of the fact of being told so up front. Failing to notice the details about a product you are purchasing doesn't sound like the dealer's problem to me.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 07, 2012, 07:59 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
I'm sure RCG doesn't mind the additional traffic...

*cough* AdSense *cough*.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 08, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
The best way to lose a customer is to refer customer service to some one who is not you the seller...It is an easier way of saying "give us your money and if you want customer support go to hell"....The reason you get no customer support from WOW is because they have no clue..When you call us for customer support you get either me Greg Gomez or Paul the owner of the store..I handle the electronics (soldering,wiring), Greg handles the heli setups and Paul handles the Airfoilz, planes and other heli support..Greg is an Ex MRC sales support rep and spends weekends at Kyle Stacys house...I was certified in mil200 specs in 1995 and IPC specs in 1997..If you want support you have to go to someone who has a clue about what they are selling...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks