HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 05:26 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Discussion
Lost control of my OSG and finally found it after 20 minutes but ....

I took my 90% OSG out for a maiden flight today ( inbetween storm )
Took her up pretty high and trying to trim her out then suddenly a really strong gust of wind took her away ( it barely windy down where i'm standing )
I use full throttle and point my glider toward me fighting wind. then suddenly another strong gust of wind come and i totally lose control of her ( my control surface seem to barely work and i'm losing altitude fast, and then i lost it behind some townhouses )

After half an hours searching on foot i found it 400m away from my flying site, sitting there on an apartment complex parking lot on an empty parking spot, everything seem to be intact from far away ( shes actually on her belly, look like its glided itself to that spot )

I was so happy ( i'm about to give up looking for her and call it a lost )

But then ......

a car is backing out of there parking spot ( about 5 cars away ) and decided that it would be real funny if they drive over a glider just sitting there. i was about 30m away jogging toward my glider and saw the whole thing happen.

My plane took no damage from the crash ( prop and everything still intact.)
But it took heavy damage from the car, airframe is total, motor, esc and reciver seem to be in good shape. Everything are in the nose, they drove over the wing and toward the back of my fuselage, one servo is completely stripped, the other one have broken control horn

I'm going to up some pics soon after i test out my electronics.

p/s: i live in a pretty bad neighborhood, it make me sad thinking that a guy would drove over a glider just for fun ( it is not like they can't see it, they drive around 5 mph and my glide wing tips have bright green and red monokote on each wing tip and they are far enough to see an object is sitting right there )
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Last edited by StewieRC; May 05, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 05:40 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts

This is how my glider look before the crash and car run over.

So far 1 servo have gear completely stripped the other one is in a better shape with the control horn broken.
Old May 05, 2012, 05:42 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
it is incredible to a car drove over my glider wing ( have a 24 inch x 0.125 inch carbon rod glue on it ) and failed to break it in half ( i can see the flex and all )
Last edited by StewieRC; May 05, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old May 05, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
That stinks. On the bright side, you know what happened to it. I had one fly away and it's like losing a pet, it hurts. Good job hunting it down.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old May 05, 2012, 06:31 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
i'm just glad that it didn't hit anyone or damage anyone properties.
i didn't think it would be that far away ( i spent the first 20 mins look at trees, and some house around 300m away from where my glider it )

it is also incredible how only my foam fuselage is broken, all carbon fiber rod are still in really good shape
Old May 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
It really could have been an honest mistake on the drivers part. Nobody is expecting a model glider to be laying on the ground behind a car and it can't be seen from inside the car or in the mirrors, being so low on the ground.

My wife once backed over something that I left laying behind her car and forgot about, totally my fault.
aero550 is offline Find More Posts by aero550
Old May 05, 2012, 08:11 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
now i'm down to only 2 servo, time to buy some more.
so after all i only lost 1 servo ( $4 ) which is better than lose the entire electronics onboard ( around $40-$50 )
@aero at least from my angle it doesn't look like it, he back it up and steer his car right into my glider, is not like my glider is behind his car and he backed his car up.