HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 05:16 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Discussion
Getting back into the hobby after a 6 year break. What has changed?

After graduating college and moving into a smaller place I got out of flying my airplanes. I finally have some space now to store and fly them so I want to get back into the hobby.

How much has changed in electric flight in 6 years? It seems now that most people are using 2.4 GHz radios instead of 72 MHz. If you've got a 72MHz transmitter (as I do) is there any reason to spend the money to switch to 2.4?

How about batteries? I hope they have dropped in price and increased in performance but I don't have a clue. I actually flew my Twinstar airplane this morning for the first time in years using the same old lipo battery I had years ago. I'm sure the battery performance dropped off from when it was new, but I couldn't tell.

What website do people use to shop online? I used to use Tower Hobbies, but it looks like it hasn't changed much since then. I would like a sight with more features like customer reviews, rating systems, intelligent navigation and sorting, and multimedia enhancements. Is there an amazon.com equivalent in the rc airplane sphere?
aspencer80 is offline Find More Posts by aspencer80
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 05:35 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
What you are looking for is right here in RC Groups. Spend some time surfing around and you will find just about any answer you require. Looking for an outstanding Hobby Shop check out Hobby Hanger.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
I like hobby partz for a lot of different things and its out of the usa. Lots of people buy from hobby king but i just hate the wait on the shipping from china. Check those sites out lots of great stuff.
Niagara Dan is offline Find More Posts by Niagara Dan
Old May 05, 2012, 08:37 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,825 Posts
Hobby King's LiPo batteries are great for the price, and I like their cheap motors and servos for little experimental stuff.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old May 05, 2012, 08:49 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
HobbyKing has a US warehouse. For parts, it's a little sparse, but for ARF/RTF planes and batteries, it's great, because you get the low price along with quicker and cheaper shipping.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old May 05, 2012, 09:21 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,993 Posts
Hobbypartz for lipos, headsuprc for assorted motors/servos/etc, towerhobbies for some stuff, and Hobby Hangar is a nice LHS nearby to you. It's about an hour drive for me, I have a smaller one 30mins away called Awesome RC that usually has whatever I need.

If your 72mhz works, there's no reason to switch for right now. 2.4 is cool, but if it aint broke dont fix it!
Batteries have gotten hundreds of times better, motors and stuff are better, planes are getting bigger and much smaller, electronics lighter....

Overall it's a great time to be getting into or coming back into the hobby
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag