HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
The CF rod on the VStab is now in a location to mechanically integrate it with the HStab plastic saddle. See pic.
I had that same dream the other day, although I was in the shower...A wide-ish stabilizer placed so the front Hstab saddle screw goes right through...Great Minds and Etc.

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,783 Posts
Quote:
I'm really slow on this mod as the days are getting shorter, summer is over and the snow will fly soon enough and I'm trying to be out flying as much as possible.

Here we are destroying a brand new fuselage buy taking 2" out of it.

https://vimeo.com/50335637

Once it is glued back and a canopy made we'll be ready to maiden as all the other mods are done.
Oh the horror whacking a perty thing like that

Don't let the snow stop ya as we were talking the other day that we need to make another blizzard video

I did the decelage mod on mine and just love how well it flys now.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,877 Posts
I know what you mean about the wind. I had a serious crash with the Corsair on Saturday and have it patched together, but the winds are too crazy for a test flight right now.

How much do you cut off the fuselage to make it a stubby? Do you also cut the canopy, or do you make a new one? That canopy itself is heavier than it needs to be. Have you tried cutting the wires and soldering the motor directly to the esc? One guy did that and saved about 11 grams on the front end.

I think your experiments are brilliant, and HH should be paying you for this. Keep up the good work.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:32 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,877 Posts
Quote:
The only mod I didn't do which I have always done before is the Gold 'n Rods. The clevas for the GNR's require more room than the "Z" bends in the servos bay and I pushed the MG digital servos back.
Since there is no need to have mechanical adjustment on both ends, how about dispensing with the clevises on the servo end? A basic L or Z bend should do it, and the adjustment could be at the rear end. That would eliminate the problem of having the big clevises squeezed into the servo bay.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:55 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,783 Posts
Quote:
The Glide Test.

Parkzone Radian with shortened fuselage. 2" removed from cockpit. CG 3.25" with no added tail weight. 1300 mAh LiPo moved back aprox 1", 40A Turnigy Superbrain ESC, Futaba RX less case in shrink wrap in servo bay.

808g total weight.

Glide test was done with Cularis spinner and PKZ 9.75 X 7.5 stock prop. They weigh the same as 50mm aluminium spinner with 11 X 8 Graupner Cam prop which will be used on the maiden as it is more stream lined when folded.

Neutral trims, zero decalage, hands off. Its a keeper! Further trimming is required when an 808 #16 camera and external battery are added. The CG will end up around 3.5"

https://vimeo.com/50569622

The good, the bad and the ugly https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=DBDE7...5DDCB92%211305

[Edit] Tuesday 12-10-2 no maiden today S 65 gust 85 km/h
R.A. Nice glide test and ya that kind of wind is way to much.

I had to chuckle seeing your date though.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:28 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
>
>
>
. . . and is reported to do ALES 200m in 6 seconds. But I have no intension of trying that!

Alan
Beautiful _ _ _ climbing at more than 70 miles per hour.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:53 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Since there is no need to have mechanical adjustment on both ends, how about dispensing with the clevises on the servo end? A basic L or Z bend should do it, and the adjustment could be at the rear end. That would eliminate the problem of having the big clevises squeezed into the servo bay.
I did this, and it works great. I CA'd a short piece of .049" wire into the hollow rod with a Z bend on the end. Be sure to extend the length of the sleeve well into the servo bay for the front servo for support. I didn't do this, and it buckled a little with the servo throw. I worked that out, but it would have been better to have the additional length of sleeve from the beginning. The hole in the servo arm that the wire went through was a little bigger than the wire, so I had a little slop in the rudder movement. A drop of CA in the servo arm hole squared that away.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:50 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
I did this, and it works great. I CA'd a short piece of .049" wire into the hollow rod with a Z bend on the end. Be sure to extend the length of the sleeve well into the servo bay for the front servo for support. I didn't do this, and it buckled a little with the servo throw. I worked that out, but it would have been better to have the additional length of sleeve from the beginning. The hole in the servo arm that the wire went through was a little bigger than the wire, so I had a little slop in the rudder movement. A drop of CA in the servo arm hole squared that away.
I like that idea. I was thinking of using a short piece of threaded stock to go inside the tube, and soldering the wire to that, but your method is much simpler. How far inside the tube did you extend the wire? I guess there is no reason why it could't go in 2 or 3 inches, and then that would also help with the buckling problem. Are you still using the outermost holes on the servo arms, or did you move them in?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I like that idea. I was thinking of using a short piece of threaded stock to go inside the tube, and soldering the wire to that, but your method is much simpler. How far inside the tube did you extend the wire? I guess there is no reason why it could't go in 2 or 3 inches, and then that would also help with the buckling problem. Are you still using the outermost holes on the servo arms, or did you move them in?
I think I'm inside the tube about 3/4". More would have probably been helpful. I am using HS-81 servos with Dubro servo arms, so the spacing may be a little different than stock. I just used the hole that was most in line with the tube.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing