SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
...with a speedy rated at only 3A running 6 servos plus THRO plus RX defies reason.
I like the way they sing to me
Wow, you're right. I never realized that thing only had a 3 amp BEC! I just checked out the specs and it says "Drives up to 5 analog or 4 digital sub-micro servos" That's cutting it pretty close for the RP.

Whenever I plug in the battery, one or both of the flap servos sing to me. I usually tweak the control arm with my finger to make it stop, although that might be a bad idea, I don't know...Interestingly, the Corsair also uses those servos for elevator and rudder/tailwheel. (it also uses the same ESC) They never sing, and they work so well, and that plane is such a dream to fly...gush gush off-topic drivel...if you ever wanted to fly a warbird and relax at the same time, the Corsair is the one.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,261 Posts
Quote:
Both educational and entertaining. They can often be found on the classified sailplane thread in addition to his web site.

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-sailplanes-fs-w-100/
Yes they are very entertaining.
My favorite is Endless Lift.

I prefer to buy mine directly from Paul ... That way he autographs them for me.

I own every one.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 14, 2012, 08:35 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
There has been some speculation about whether the decalage mod produces a higher sink rate. Well, Saturday evening, I launched a 30 second burn to 800+ feet and cut the throttle. It was 7:40PM and the sun was setting. There was a light ENE breeze and no visible indicators of lift anywhere. I pointed my "modded" Radian into the breeze and watched her float along, only making slight corrections to her course. 8 minutes, 39 seconds later, my flight ended with a hand catch. That's a sink rate of less than 100 feet/minute, or about 1.5 feet/second. Seems pretty good to me!

Has anyone using a GPS or altimeter timed the flight of their stock Radian in calm air to get an approximate sink rate? I suspect it would be pretty close to that.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
510 Posts
AWESOME! All these mods are going to take me a long while to complete on my Radian but I'll get them all done for sure.
It's completely obvious how well they work by simply examining the last 20 seconds of this video. WOW! Never seen a Radian fly so nimbly. Amazing work and HUGE thank you to Paul N. for the freebie video. I really like the color scheme / paint job too.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Does anyone fly a no decalage mod , but has there CG set aft ?

or it anyone flying Decalage with stock CG ?

I fly mine with a lighter motor that lets me have a 3.25" CG without adding weight to the tail. No need to hack up the tail section.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Thing is, if you move the cg back and re-trim, you've accomplished the same thing.

The extra drag is negligible, and is not noticed.
The extra drag may be negligible- but it is noticeable- Eckace and I bought 2 new radians- He did the decalage mod while I did not- We wanted a controlled experiment to test this mod and all the hubbub sorrounding it...We both stiffened with carbon shafts- we maidened the birds last sunday and flew them together- we even traded radios and flew each others plane- My Radian with out the decalage mod flew great- however the luck of the draw got me a fuse with 1 degree less angle than normal- it flew better than my last Radian ever did- My CG was 2 and 5/8th inches
Bobs pane with dec mod was balanced at 3 and 3/8th inches

Bobs plane has a more than slightly longer glide path on landing and it also slowly overtook me when flying at same height and just a few feet apart- with our hands off the controls as much as possible- Therefor I submit to you that the decrease in drag is noticeable when comparing to a stock dec plane flying right beside you'

the other difference is Bob's dec modded plane required just a bit more finesse on the stick - as the rear ward CG made plane a bit more sensitive to inputs

i fly with no expo and neither does bob- However we determined on the dec mod plane- it flew better when we lowered the control horn connector to the least throw position-

- i am editing the video of us trading planes for a flight and giving our impressions...

and also- in a speed dive- doing the decalage with trim- will make your tail flutter all over- I dove from 2500 ft to 50 ft in 18 seconds and the tail hardly even moved in the video- and i estimate i hit nearly 90 mph

we like the mod- it is worth doing ...and that concludes my report...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Last edited by scottdearinger; Aug 28, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,490 Posts
IMO predetermining the cg and then trying to force the plane to fly that way after making the mod is not the best approach. There are too many variables involved. A better way is to make the mod and then determine where the new cg is by doing a series of power-off glide tests with neutral rudder trim. After that do some test flights that include dive tests to verify the configuration. If you wind up with the cg outside the desired range it may be necessary to add ballast. Changing to an aluminum hub and spinner for example will add weight to the front which may have to be compensated for by tail ballast or by bobbing the nose as was done on the "stubby".
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:33 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,794 Posts
Dave all good points as I'm new to this sailplane stuff.
Man there is so much to learn and didn't have a clue that there was so much involved in sail plane flying.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Man there is so much to learn and didn't have a clue that there was so much involved in sail plane flying.
For sure. Most purely powered plane pilots think sailplanes are boring , but they just don't know what they're missing. The grace, the beauty, and the challenge of riding the wind currents and connecting with nature.

Sailplane pilots have IMHO a lot like in common with surfers. I should know. I once was a surfer.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,765 Posts
decalage and incidence

folks: i see that both terms are sometimes misused.
from wiki:
Decalage angle: difference in angle of the chord line of the wing and the chord line of the horizontal stabilizer.

and incidence:
Angle of incidence is a measure of deviation of something from "straight on", for example:

in the approach of a ray to a surface, or
the angle at which the wing or horizontal tail of an airplane is installed on the fuselage, measured relative to the axis of the fuselage.

just in case...
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,794 Posts
Quote:
Bwahahaha... and down hill skiing too. I once was a skier but now too old and bones to easily broken , healing takes too long when you go outside your skill level. Now I just bend and break foam when I fly outside my skill level
I hear ya LOL, plus emergency room visits are cheaper Tape glue mybe some of the wifes utencils.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts