Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleboyRC View Post
I do believe I said that the Graupner's had a little less amp draw and still climbed as fast or close to it but they won't work with the stock plastic hub.HaoleboyRC
Edit: Please ignore the next sentence, which is incorrect. Graupners are available in either 6 mm or 8 mm shoulders. The 6 mm ones will fit the stock spinner but need to be drilled. Aeronauts are all 8 mm and will not fit.

True, but the Aeronaut CAM props are essentially identical to the Graupners and are available with 6 mm shoulders that fit the PZ hubs, but you do need to drill the shoulder holes to 3 mm to accept the stock pins.

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...denthaler.aspx
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
Are you sure you do not have that backwards? I fly Graupner 11/8 just fine on Radian plastic spinner after re-drilling the hole, Aeronauta will not work since the shoulder is too short it will not close, works fine with Aluminum spinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
True, but the Aeronaut CAM props are essentially identical to the Graupners and are available with 6 mm shoulders that fit the PZ hubs, but you do need to drill the shoulder holes to 3 mm to accept the stock pins.

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...denthaler.aspx
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Alright already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Are you sure you do not have that backwards? I fly Graupner 11/8 just fine on Radian plastic spinner after re-drilling the hole, Aeronauta will not work since the shoulder is too short it will not close, works fine with Aluminum spinner.
Will someone please reply with the requirements for the two brands to fit the stock spinner. I just bought aero-naut 11x8 CAMs based what I read on these and other Radian pages in this group. I was under the impression that they were direct replacements.
Here I will make it easy
1 Aero-naut direct replacement
A. True
B. False
2. Pin holes must be drilled
A. True
B. False
3. Blades must be sanded to fit stock hubs
A. True
B. False
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Duh. Sorry but I did have it backward.

The Aeronauts are available with 8 mm shoulders only. Graupners are available with either 6 mm or 8 mm shoulders. Graupners fit the stick plastic hub but you need to drill the pivot hole to 3 mm to accept the stock pin, and shim the shoulders with washers to take out the slop.

Graupners will close on the stock hub. They do not fold completely flat because of the shorter shoulders and the pivot being inside the hub but they are within just a few degrees. That might not be acceptable to purists but no problem as far as I am concerned.
Last edited by kaptondave; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:30 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,787 Posts
I feel that is the biggest problem when looking for blades as they don't advertise the whole size.
Why don't they sell the same prop with diff hole sizes as I wouldn't want to drill a hole and attempt to make it fit.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I feel that is the biggest problem when looking for blades as they don't advertise the whole size.
Why don't they sell the same prop with diff hole sizes as I wouldn't want to drill a hole and attempt to make it fit.
Drilling a hole is a trivial task. The pivot pin on the stock hub is 3 mm in diameter, so the only tool you need is a 3 mm bit.

I cannot fault propeller manufacturers for not spending the money for tooling to produce a variety of sizes, or for retailers for not wanting to spend the money to carry inventory in different sizes.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Drilling a hole is a trivial task. The pivot pin on the stock hub is 3 mm in diameter, so the only tool you need is a 3 mm bit.

I cannot fault propeller manufacturers for not spending the money for tooling to produce a variety of sizes, or for retailers for not wanting to spend the money to carry inventory in different sizes.
Trivial for some I guess.
I must be the worst at drilling out holes as i have tried and result was a ripped apart front section of the Radian.
Myself would much rather have the hole precisely done.
Mybe I should go back to my aluminum spinner but hate the weight so it's in the parts bin.
Or mybe I need stay away from sail planes all together.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Trivial for some I guess.
I must be the worst at drilling out holes as i have tried and result was a ripped apart front section of the Radian.
I concede that drilling in soft materials requires some extra care. It is best if you can use a drill press to hold the bit steady and a clamp or vise to hold the part. If you cannot do that then the next best solution for enlarging an existing hole might be to use a reamer or rat-tail file.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:14 PM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
693 Posts
Quote:
I concede that drilling in soft materials requires some extra care. It is best if you can use a drill press to hold the bit steady and a clamp or vise to hold the part. If you cannot do that then the next best solution for enlarging an existing hole might be to use a reamer or rat-tail file.
I second that, Dave. I bought a nice little bench-top drill press from Harbor Freight for $65. Turns out I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's much safer and precise than holding a part with your bare hand and a hand drill in the other.
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
I second that, Dave. I bought a nice little bench-top drill press from Harbor Freight for $65. Turns out I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's much safer and precise than holding a part with your bare hand and a hand drill in the other.
A bench press and a Dremel are two tools that I would not want to be without.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:12 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
i think im gonna change my prop for a lil more thrust. ive tried to understand all that you guys have been saying, to no avail.

with stock esc and spinner....what prop can i fit with little or no modification? that wil sit flat against the fuselage as the stock one does? and give a notable increase in trust?
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:45 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
i think im gonna change my prop for a lil more thrust. ive tried to understand all that you guys have been saying, to no avail.

with stock esc and spinner....what prop can i fit with little or no modification? that wil sit flat against the fuselage as the stock one does? and give a notable increase in trust?
Since there are reports of cracking stock plastic spinners throwing blades and ripping the nose off, I decided to go with the HobbyKing 52mm aluminum spinner. I put on HK 11x8 CF blades and they fold flat and I now get near vertical climbouts. I did replace the stock ESC with a Plush 40amp from HK as well. Might be more than you want to do and a longer wait than you want but it was a easy drop in replacement for a significant improvement. I think it was worth it. Sorry, I didn't evaluate 6mm hubs that the stock spinner would require
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:28 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Since there are reports of cracking stock plastic spinners throwing blades and ripping the nose off, I decided to go with the HobbyKing 52mm aluminum spinner. I put on HK 11x8 CF blades and they fold flat and I now get near vertical climbouts. I did replace the stock ESC with a Plush 40amp from HK as well. Might be more than you want to do and a longer wait than you want but it was a easy drop in replacement for a significant improvement. I think it was worth it. Sorry, I didn't evaluate 6mm hubs that the stock spinner would require
Do you have links to which ones you used?
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:01 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Parkzone Radian @ 1,801 Feet AGL (10 min 21 sec)
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:18 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Do you have links to which ones you used?
The Hobby King part numbers are in the grid. the one I ended up flying was the TGS11X8F
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member