Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
axi 2212/20
wow.. thats not a cheap motor.. how does it compare to standard and was it worth the money..?
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
wow.. thats not a cheap motor.. how does it compare to standard and was it worth the money..?
The same question is on my mind. It is obvious that the Parkzone 480BL is not a state of the art motor. If it was, it would not come as the stock motor on so many of their planes, and be the same as it was a few years ago. A good comparison is the EFlite Power 10 motor, which I have used on the Mustang and Corsair. Those planes come with the same motor as the Radian, and the Power 10 is a direct bolt-in replacement. It is a little heavier and a little more expensive but it has TONNNNNS more power.

From that experience, I am sure there must be a motor out there that is lighter than the stock Radian motor but with equivalent power, or a motor that is the same weight with more power, or both.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
I'm after same power but less weight.. I've just fitted an easyglider spinner and it's 25g heavier (from memory) and i'm looking to gain some of that back..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
I'm after same power but less weight.. I've just fitted an easyglider spinner and it's 25g heavier (from memory) and i'm looking to gain some of that back..
Here are 2 ways to get rid of the extra weight. 1-get rid of the stock canopy which weighs 25 grams......2-cut and solder the wires from the esc to the motor...11 grams gained without the connectors and the excessive wire length.

It was only last week that I had the canopy fall off in mid flight. People use rubber bands to hold it on and maybe that is the best option, although I have never tried it. There were 2 things that amazed me during this experience. One was how long it took to fall. It seemed like forever for that thing to flutter down to the ground and I kept my eye on it and the plane at the same time. Eventually it hit the ground and I ended up finding it.

The other amazing thing was how well the Radian flew without it. I don't know if it was the increased drag or the lack of almost an oz of weight off the nose, but it floated like a butterfly on helium. After seeing the canopy hit the ground, I was able to concentrate on the flight of the plane, and it was impressive.

My next mod is to do what Radio.Active has already done, and replace that canopy with something lighter. 25 grams off the nose of this plane is nothing to be sneezed at.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 17, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Nice job on the balsa stabilizer! A little extra weight on the tail never hurts. I was looking at your pix of the Stubby and was wondering...where do you put the receiver and esc? Also, are you getting enough throw with the short arms on the servos?

Today I am in the process of putting some paint on mine. As you know, white planes kind of get lost in the snow and gray of the frozen north. I wonder if buddy will ever come up with some decent pix of his 10 foot Radian?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 17, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
From that experience, I am sure there must be a motor out there that is lighter than the stock Radian motor but with equivalent power, or a motor that is the same weight with more power, or both.
I have a Himax HC3510-1100. It has a 25mm x 25mm pattern (same as stock), 4mm shaft (same as stock), and is smaller, lighter, and more powerful than the stock motor. Not cheap, but a good drop-in replacement.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:44 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Thank you for that info, chickenwing. I knew there had to be something better than the stock motor, and that one sounds perfect. Do the wire connectors fit the stock Eflite esc?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:52 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Thank you for that info, chickenwing. I knew there had to be something better than the stock motor, and that one sounds perfect. Do the wire connectors fit the stock Eflite esc?
Yes, it's a direct drop-in replacement, no mods necessary.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Jan 2006
16 Posts
Radian Spoilers & fuse Mods

I also reset the incidence and CG
Then I added spoilers, very effective.
This Radian can't take a hard landing without doing damage to the fuse forward of the wing, that is why the canopy won't fit after a hard spot landing.
Other mods include 11X7 cam prop, 1300 ma 45-90 C battery
The climb to 200m is under 25 seconds with this combination
See attached pictures.....

Allan M.
Ace45 is offline Find More Posts by Ace45
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace45 View Post
This Radian can't take a hard landing without doing damage to the fuse forward of the wing, that is why the canopy won't fit after a hard spot landing.
One time I clipped a goal post with the wing, and the plane spun around and nose-dived straight in from about 15 feet. The nose was compressed and I removed the hardware and soaked it in hot water. That almost did the trick but the canopy was still about 1/16" too long to fit properly. I took a sanding block and sanded 1/16" off the front of the canopy and now it fits perfectly.
Last edited by Jovanx; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace45 View Post
I also reset the incidence and CG
Then I added spoilers, very effective.
Other mods include 11X7 cam prop, 1300 ma 45-90 C battery
The climb to 200m is under 25 seconds with this combination
See attached pictures.....

Allan M.
Nice spoiler mod. Please let us know more on the connectors for these and would like to know what spinner and hub you are using?
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am putting together a Radian and have a question regarding the decalage mod and aft CG . I would like to cure the pitch up under full power tendency. Will the decalage mod do this or do you need to shift the CG aft as well? I installed a NTM 3530 1100 kv motor, 50 mm aluminum spinner and a 12/6 prop. I also installed the servos in the side of the fuselage right where the pushrods tubes enter the fuselage. This allowed me to move the receiver to where the battery usually goes and now I can put my 2200 mah battery in the belly where the receiver and servos normally go. Not sure how much more this motor/spinner combo is than the stock one but with no stab installed it balances about the stock position. I will finish the balsa stab and elevator this weekend and see where the CG ends up. I don't do much thermaling , mostly like to fly low altitude graceful aerobatics and slope soaring.
Shane
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
Hi Guys,
I am putting together a Radian and have a question regarding the decalage mod and aft CG . I would like to cure the pitch up under full power tendency. Will the decalage mod do this or do you need to shift the CG aft as well? Shane
For a plane to be statically stable in pitch during power-off glide, the COMBINATION of the elevator and stab needs to be pushing the tail down slightly. When you apply power, the plane speeds up and the downward force provided by the tail feathers increases. Thus, pitch up is inherent as power is applied. Changing the stab incidence alone (what some call a change in decalage) doesn't alter this basic effect.

That having been said, moving the CG back will reduce the tendency to pitch up. As the CG is moved back closer to the neutral point, the tail feathers need to provide less downward force when in the glide mode. Therefore, when power is applied, there is less of a tendency to pitch up.

Many pilots apply less than full power during launch and then apply some down elevator as power is increased to avoid the pitch up. There is another approach. With my computer radio, I have the elevator slaved to the throttle so that more down elevator is applied as the power is increased. The slave percentage is adjusted to provide a nice nearly constant slope of the climb at full power.
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson