HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 02:16 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,901 Posts
Gallery
A church and a hall

Yesterday was nice and sunny so the quad was dragged off for some AP.

There are a couple of places I have been wanting to do for some time and this is the first one......

The village of Aldingham. Situated on Morecambe Bay and in Cumbria.
The church was once more central to the village but, the sea eroded away a lot of land many, many years ago. A good part of the village disappeared and the church now stands right on the shoreline with a protective wall along the shore side.

This is a beautiful and quiet place. The church was built in 1147 with the tower added sometime in the 1200's. The large hall was built around 1846 and the owner left it to his manservant in his will. The servant had saved him from drowning in Morecambe Bay..... not a bad reward for his efforts !

The hall is now a care home for for elderly people.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,942 Posts
nice pics love the landscapes..... no concrete or asphalt!

looks like a relaxing day!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 04, 2012, 02:29 PM
Die noctique
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Cracking images was supprised at the relativly low shutter speed to get them so sharp as well, looks like a great location.
Badllarma is offline Find More Posts by Badllarma
Old May 04, 2012, 03:47 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,340 Posts
Great pictures Sparklet! You sure had a beautiful day for flying!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old May 04, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,613 Posts
Beautiful day, beautiful location, beautiful photos. It does indeed look like a great place to run away and hide.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old May 05, 2012, 03:25 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,901 Posts
Thanks for the comments.
I am finding that the quad produces much better photos than my fixed wing models.

They are much sharper and the colours are more accurate. I used to have to do quite a bit of work to improve the photos from the fixed wing models. Whereas the photos from the quad require just a very small amount of "tidying up".

The quad is so stable that the camera is held nearly as steady as it would be on a tripod.
Old May 05, 2012, 03:38 AM
Norbert
Graz, Austria
Joined Feb 2006
1,579 Posts
Beautiful pictures, very nicely made!
Quote:
The servant had saved him from drowning in Morecambe Bay
Really seems to be a dangerous place ...
Cheers,
Norbert
EyP3 is offline Find More Posts by EyP3
Old May 05, 2012, 04:06 AM
Die noctique
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Thanks for the comments.
I am finding that the quad produces much better photos than my fixed wing models.

They are much sharper and the colours are more accurate. I used to have to do quite a bit of work to improve the photos from the fixed wing models. Whereas the photos from the quad require just a very small amount of "tidying up".

The quad is so stable that the camera is held nearly as steady as it would be on a tripod.
I'd say there is definatly an advantage with regards to the shutter speed even with my Hawkeye (which for a fixed wing is a VERY slow performer) I need at least 1/800 of a second looking at the data in one of your images it's down to 1/320 sec which for aerial anything is very good indeed.

Very impressed sparklet

You going to the UK RCAP meet? Would love to see this in action and particulaly your camera mount
Old May 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,598 Posts
Well done Mate! fine work indeed

this is a terrible thing, the idea of making a hole in the wall for the leprous is mighty!

Morecombe bay seems as dangerous as Bay of Mont Saint Michel in my area; pleasant place to gaze at…but quite unsafe to walk around

see you at the UK meet (my work timetable permiting)

cheers!

olivier
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu
Last edited by olivdudu; May 05, 2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: correcting spelling
Old May 06, 2012, 03:31 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,397 Posts
Very nice shots and location, I do love chuch pictures!!

Gray
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old May 06, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,901 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments.

Badlama... That's the advantage of the quad, it can hover in one place without any discernible movement. That's a great help for photography. This quad just has the basic wiimotion plus controller. One of my others has auto level and a magnetometer for heading hold. That realy is impressive. Take off, get into position, switch on auto level and heading hold and the quad is just "locked" into place. I have been too busy using this quad to get used to the other one yet.

Edit... forgot to mention... I am thinking about the AP meet, don't know yet. The camera mount is just a piece of plywood hanging under the quad and attached by silicon tubing. The camera sits on one end and the lipo on the other end.

The camera is a very expensive and sophisticated (read - very cheap, simple point and shoot for around 5 to 10 off Ebay !)
Last edited by sparklet; May 06, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,901 Posts
Thanks Olivier.
Morecambe Bay and the bay of St Michel are both death traps for the unwary. I liked Mont St Michel when we went there a few years ago. I would love to go there again.

I may have talked my wife into visiting Brittany next year. This year she is insistent we go to Paris.

I don't know if I will be going to the AP meet, need to think about it.
Old May 06, 2012, 11:08 AM
Die noctique
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Sparklet will you be coming to the uk meet?lol you answered my question as i posted
Old May 06, 2012, 11:18 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,901 Posts
Hi Gray,
Thanks. I will post a couple more photos, in a seperate thread, showing the leper hole and the inside of the church.