HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Question
trex 450 sport or trex 450 pro?

whats the difference between these 2 helis and could anyone give some pros and cons of these helis?
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
other than the pro has single side frame pieces as the other uses multi frame side and the pro uses torque tube and the sport uses belt drive. I think the servos mount different as well. I dont know of any other changes or differences. I know HK makes a pro version just like the trex 450 pro
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old May 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Hmmm

Pro is a new animal , designed to handle 3D better ..

Several areas have been strengthened , and Direct drive on tail .

When you learn to fly , next step is pro ..

If you like belt drive , easier servicing , removal of gear, [ servos - motor ] then a Sport might be the go ..

If you have outgrown your sport , then a Pro would be the next step .

If your just starting , Id suggest the Sport , if you can already fly , go the PRO
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMiTry View Post
whats the difference between these 2 helis and could anyone give some pros and cons of these helis?

I think the pro type is superior, because it is more responsive than the type of sport.
agusfirmansyah is offline Find More Posts by agusfirmansyah
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,989 Posts
My 2c

The single main frames of the Pro are stronger, but there's not much space between the frames for electronics. If you like to hide everything inside the heli, you have to be careful selecting components that fit. If, like me, you're happy to mount stuff on the outside of the frames, it's a non-issue.

The Pro is optimised for higher headspeeds - so it uses a lower tail/main ratio than the Sport. If you want to putter around at minimum HS, the Sport is better.

The servo to swash links on the Pro are all the same length - so there are less undesirable control interactions.

The Pro head results in a slightly larger diameter main rotor than the Sport.

The Pro has the tail servo mounted between the main frames under the boom block. Whilst it helps to centralise mass and make the heli more agile, it's not as easy to work on as a boom mounted tail servo. I happen to dislike the look of boom mounted servos.....

The Align 450 Pro only comes in a TT version, and TT gears easily strip in a crash or even a relatively minor tail hit. Belt tails are much more forgiving.

The Pro is a bit trickier to work on than the Sport. If you break a servo arm or strip the gears, you have to take the servos out. For the elevator servo, that means taking off the main gear, removing the head and mainshaft, then taking out the three cyclic servos on the mainshaft bearing holders in one unit. Although it's more work than working on the Sport, you soon get pretty adept at doing it!

If you want a belt drive Pro, you can get decent quality clones from Tarot or HK.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
The single main frames of the Pro are stronger, but there's not much space between the frames for electronics. If you like to hide everything inside the heli, you have to be careful selecting components that fit. If, like me, you're happy to mount stuff on the outside of the frames, it's a non-issue.

The Pro is optimised for higher headspeeds - so it uses a lower tail/main ratio than the Sport. If you want to putter around at minimum HS, the Sport is better.

The servo to swash links on the Pro are all the same length - so there are less undesirable control interactions.

The Pro head results in a slightly larger diameter main rotor than the Sport.

The Pro has the tail servo mounted between the main frames under the boom block. Whilst it helps to centralise mass and make the heli more agile, it's not as easy to work on as a boom mounted tail servo. I happen to dislike the look of boom mounted servos.....

The Align 450 Pro only comes in a TT version, and TT gears easily strip in a crash or even a relatively minor tail hit. Belt tails are much more forgiving.

The Pro is a bit trickier to work on than the Sport. If you break a servo arm or strip the gears, you have to take the servos out. For the elevator servo, that means taking off the main gear, removing the head and mainshaft, then taking out the three cyclic servos on the mainshaft bearing holders in one unit. Although it's more work than working on the Sport, you soon get pretty adept at doing it!

If you want a belt drive Pro, you can get decent quality clones from Tarot or HK.
I totally agree, for newbie torque tube tail preferably conversion to belt, because it avoids damage to the gear torqu tube
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:06 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I have a sport, unless you have a VERY small gyro you are going to have trouble finding a place for it. However I do not have a PRO for comparison.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:15 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,989 Posts
Mini Mems

Since the advent of mini-mems sensors, modern gyros have become very small - so even the smallish 27mm x 27mm gyro mount on the pro is fine. The Assan GA-250 is only 21mm x 21mm. In fact I have two 450 Pros with CX 3x1000 FBL controllers on them, which measure 37mm x 25mm, but pose no problems. You also can get an extended gyro mount that's aimed specifically at use with FBL controllers.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
I have a sport, unless you have a VERY small gyro you are going to have trouble finding a place for it. However I do not have a PRO for comparison.

I suggest to use tarot gyro 550, because of its small size and its response is pretty good, the price is very cheap

example in my Helli 450 clicks: http://aerohobbycipondoh.blogspot.com/