HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2010
383 Posts
Discussion
Did I take too much from the motor shaft?

Just bought a new scorpion for a 450 heli, HKII-2221-12. Went to make a flat spot for the pinion screw. All good but I might have taken too much? Just wondering if this could cause it to bend over time since heli motor shafts get loads of side force.Just want to see what you guys think. Used a file and took about 10 minutes.

Hopefully helps others too.
hga77 is offline Find More Posts by hga77
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 01:44 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
I've had to do the same thing before and not had any problems. The shaft on my moters are 3.17mm, I don't know if knotching the smaller shafts would cause problems or not. I think the depth of the knotch might create a strenght issue though on the smaller shafts.
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old May 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,307 Posts
It will be fine...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old May 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2010
383 Posts
Thanks. I might get a spare shaft just incase. I've read on other threads guys saying they ended up with a broken shaft after making a flat spot.
Old May 04, 2012, 08:29 PM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
It doesnt look like you took that much off. The fact you did it with a file and slow instead of with a grinder heating the shaft up helps. Heating the shaft up could make it brittle depending on what it is made of. You should be fine
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old May 05, 2012, 04:52 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,453 Posts
Yes, you took way to much off. Good news is that i have seen worse, they still lasted a long time. Try to keep a flat away from where the shaft necks down in size.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2010
383 Posts
Thanks. It will be running on 4s meaning more torque etc... I'm deciding if I should go ahead with the build or wait for a new shaft... Not looking forward to changing the shaft if I decide doing that because it's press fit... Very confused as I don't want to end up in a crash straight away with this new build...

I made sure I did loads of reading before I did this stupid flat spot to get all the tips I can. But I still went and screwed it up! I'm so annoyed with this.