HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 08:12 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
423 Posts
Question
EE Lightning elevons

Will elevons be sufficient control for a profile slot-jet English-Electric Lightning. The rear stabs looks a bit small...

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Yes!

I built a foamy lightning a few years ago and used just elevon control and it worked fine. I used pipe lagging and a depron core. It looked a mess but flew OK

GrahamCulver is offline Find More Posts by GrahamCulver
Old May 04, 2012, 11:43 AM
Allways the hard way!
Joined Jan 2012
423 Posts
I really should sort my terminology... must re-visit aero terminology-101.

I planned tailerons (small bits of wings right at the back of airy)... but the elevons(sqiggly bit on the wing) now looks like a distinct possibility as well!

Thanx for that advice Graham. never even considered the possibility of elevons...
Last edited by georgy; May 04, 2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: blond moments
Old May 05, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
It is basically a delta with a small tail. I reckon tailerons might work too. As you can see from the picture I drove the elevons with crank wires in the breeze to get the servos in the fuselage.
Mine could have done with a bit more power - maybe something like a blue wonder on three cells, and had the tendency to flip upright at the top of a loop if you pulled too much elevator. I've come across others say exactly the same about other model lightenings.
I think if you root around in my profile and look at the threads started, you might find plans of the lightning - might be a help.
Edit: yes it's just the templates I used but they are here
GrahamCulver is offline Find More Posts by GrahamCulver
Old May 05, 2012, 05:43 AM
Allways the hard way!
Joined Jan 2012
423 Posts
I built this Mig-15 profile slot-jet. Had this thing where it would flair into a stall at the bottom of the loop! Added KFm2 & enlarged the tail-plane which made it a lot better, but still lucky if you complete a loop nicely. Have to be big loop, or at least come out of loop a lot lower than start! Still, looks nice in the air & a lot of fun if you fly smooth big circuits. Surprisingly slow on approach with very gentle wing-drop if you slow down too much.

Thanx for the link to your EE-L. I want to use the some set-up i used in the Mig:
Profile, mid-mount hi-kv motor with a prop that fits in body hight (+- 4" to 5")
Will probably go with ailerons & all-moving stab.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
I built a good size profile EE lightning. I used a full flying tail set up as elevator only and wing tips as ailerons. I found I needed a lot of throw for the ailerons. I never tried this plane with tailerons, but I've done many others that had sufficient response with tail surfaces only. I think since the wing span isn't that great on this plane tailerons would probably work ok with sufficient throw, especially if you were doing a slotted design which would blow more air over the tail at low speed. There was plenty of pitch control. You can try it with just full flying tail, and if it is too sluggish in roll you can always put ailerons on the tips.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; May 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
Blackpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
1,342 Posts
I have made 5 RC Lightnings.

All have fixed tailplanes [v small!].

Control is by elevon. Lots of pitch movement [40 deg each way]. very little roll movement [10 deg each way].

If you employ an all-moving tailplane, you will have trouble with the LEs digging in on landing.
peterangus is offline Find More Posts by peterangus