SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2012, 06:45 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Build Log
KK Gipsy for Britkit build off

Here's my entry for the Britkit build off. I'm new at this so I hope you'll all bear with me! I'll be building a Keil Kraft Gipsy, originally a wakefield class model designed by Bill Dean but mine will be electrified and radioed!?

Here are the parts I'll be using... 8X3.8 Slow fly electric prop.
Turnigy 2209 1050Kv 15A outrunner
H/King SS20, 18A esc
Nano tech 460mAh 2s Battery
HXT900 servos
Standard KK Gipsy kit

kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Last edited by kkphantom; May 04, 2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: missed link
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 07:27 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Fine Gary, I've added a link to your build log to post 1 of the Britkit Build Off thread and I'll be watching your progress with interest. One thing I can say from my experiences with several electrified R/C rubber designs is that (unlike many electrified vintage power models) you are unlikely to have problems with an aft CG.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 10:00 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Nice choice Gary!
And from an authentic genuine KK kit as well..
I'll be watching with interest.
You wont be disappointed with this model Gary
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old May 06, 2012, 04:49 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts

Well I've made a start, all the fiddly bits have been cut out. I had to resort to my trusty mini bandsaw for the 1/8" parts, yes it was that hard!

First one wing...

Then build the other one on to it.

All done! waiting for the glue to dry...........

Completed wing ready for sanding.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:10 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Wow, off to a flyer! Looks like you could be the RFJ of the southern hemisphere.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 07:46 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts

Tailplane all glued up. I don't anticipate any problems with using half an elevator, I've done this on a Tomboy and didn't notice any real difference in flying characteristics, maybe on something a bit faster flying it might matter.

All the back bits framed.
Old May 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Now then, The wire undercarriage legs on this model are very long to accommodate the original large rubber prop. This model, being electric, doesn't need such a long undercart so should I shorten it or will it look silly? What do you guys think?
Old May 08, 2012, 08:09 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
I can only say that I did shorten the undercarriage, although I did stick to the original wheel size, on my Witch to allow for the fact that it would only be using a 7 inch prop, although it is still a bit longer than strictly necessary. I think it looks OK, others might disagree. I notice that Mark appears to have stuck with the full length on his Venus. Judge for yourself, it really is a matter of personal taste:-
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
Hi, I went with a pretty much as plan with the U/C for my Gypsy. Never got around to doing a cowl for it, one day maybe 8 inch prop does look a bit daft sitting idle on the ground, but I think the long legs work in keeping some of the original feel of the design when it's up in the air. I dropped the dihedral a bit and went a bit OTT with the rudder
vega is offline Find More Posts by vega
Old May 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
United Kingdom, Minehead
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Watching with interest
bigisbest is offline Find More Posts by bigisbest
Old May 08, 2012, 05:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
This is one of the endlessly debatable questions with vintage models isn't it?
I suppose you do end up with more weight in the original length undercart that becomes unnessesary due to the smaller prop.. BUT .. I think the undercarriage is as much part of the design as the shape of the wings, tail, fin etc..
Someone did say once that you loose some stability in vintage models from the pendulum effect when you reduce the length! whether thats correct or not I dont know!!
Its like reducing dihedral, it changes the look of the model considerably. Its all down to how pure our we want our re-creations to be.. puting rc and brushless in them isn't in the original design - but it sure is the way to go!!!
The Gipsy is looking good - whatever you decide with the uc, shes gonna be lovely!!!!
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old May 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
I seem to be doing something wrong with these posts, My pictures are huge but everyone else's are thumbnails. I can't seem to find a tool anywhere that tells me how to make thumbnails. Gary
Old May 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Gary, how are you posting your pics, are you using the "manage attachments" function (scroll down below the text box when making your post and click on "manage attachments") which enables you to select the photos directly from your own computer files and automatically posts them as thumbnails, even gives you the facility to add text to each one? I presume you must be posting them as links from Photo Bucket or a similar site, in which case they will come out large, sometimes useful if you want to show something more clearly, but mostly it is much easier to use the Manage attachments function.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 04:08 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Ok we'll try that..... woo hoo! thanks George.
Last edited by kkphantom; May 10, 2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: .......
Old May 10, 2012, 05:15 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
There you go Gary - lot easier isn't it
RCG Plus Member