HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
Converting a 1/8 Ac Motor into a 48v bldc motor

Hey all; I am towards re- winding my 1/8 (36 Tooth Stator)HP Ac motor into a 48v BLDC 3 Phase motor.
I am confused about Winding my motor.Can anyone please help me how to build my motor as the rotor part is not a problem yet but the stator winding is the most confusing part for me.

Please help me ;what sequence should i opt.
ashkar_malik is offline Find More Posts by ashkar_malik
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 06:09 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,643 Posts
You can enter various slot and pole counts here and it will tell you the winding factor for the various combinations and show you a winding scheme too:

http://www.powerditto.de/bewicklungsrechner.html

As an example, if you enter 36N 30P it shows a winding factor of 0.93301, the closer that gets to 1.0 the better it is.

I don't understand that motor, how many magnets are on the motor now?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 06:17 AM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkar_malik View Post
Hey all; I am towards re- winding my 1/8 (36 Tooth Stator)HP Ac motor into a 48v BLDC 3 Phase motor.
I am confused about Winding my motor.Can anyone please help me how to build my motor as the rotor part is not a problem yet but the stator winding is the most confusing part for me.

Please help me ;what sequence should i opt.
Is it an inrunner or outrunner?
To convert to a efficient brushless motor, you probably need to use strong magnets.
Is it an AC motor with magnets in, or there are just coils...
Are you sure it can be converted to a brushless DC motor?
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old May 04, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
My motor is a Inrunner type motor;So please help me to wind the stator and how to calculate the poles that i might place in this rotor(Formulaes and eqations to calculate the parameters).
Old May 04, 2012, 08:11 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,643 Posts
The link I posted it not going to help on the inrunners. Those things make my head hurt jjust to look at them...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 08:35 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,145 Posts
Quote:
My motor is a Inrunner type motor;So please help me to wind the stator and how to calculate the poles that i might place in this rotor(Formulaes and eqations to calculate the parameters).
Since that is an AC induction motor, what do you plan to do with the rotor? AFAIK, you'll need a new rotor with permanent magnets to run as as a BLDC motor.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old May 04, 2012, 08:43 AM
Inspiration
Joined Aug 2011
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Since that is an AC induction motor, what do you plan to do with the rotor? AFAIK, you'll need a new rotor with permanent magnets to run as as a BLDC motor.
Pete
yea, that is what i guess, an AC induction motor. For both inrunner and outrunner AC induction motors, the rotor is not actually "magnets" at all. As Pete said, you will need to make a new rotor yourself, which can be a lot of work.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
I know that rotor is to be Lathed and fitted with approcriate magnetic poles of neodynamic magnets;but my problem is just stator winding
Old May 04, 2012, 05:01 PM
Inspiration
Joined Aug 2011
885 Posts
Quote:
I know that rotor is to be Lathed and fitted with approcriate magnetic poles of neodynamic magnets;but my problem is just stator winding
Then you need to determine number of magnets first, before you wind the stator. I suggest that at least, you make a plan of how you gonna make the rotor first. Then you can go to the website Jack posted, you will see the winding scheme after you input number of both N and P. winding scheme may change if you input different numbers of P, and this is why you need to determine how many magnets you gonna put on the rotor first.

You will get a winding scheme for outrunners, but you can winded your inrunner stator in the same way, by following the same winding directions and connections..

In my point of view, constructing the rotor will be your biggest problem. You need to find a way to firmly fix the magnets, symmetrically. You will also need to balance the rotor. Consider the size of your motor, the rotor construction can be really the pin in the ass.
Old May 04, 2012, 05:07 PM
Inspiration
Joined Aug 2011
885 Posts
This is just an example of 36N34P, highest winding factor you can get from a 36N stator.
Old May 05, 2012, 05:48 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,404 Posts
Quote:
The cage must be iron to conduct and concentrate magnetism, not aluminium-alloy. The iron must be thin laminations, 0,35mm or thinner. In short, this is a dead end street, sorry

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC
• Get a life ... get a Watt-meter!!! •
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; May 05, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
@ Ron I already got a Stator but How to wind it ;No one have given me any help regarding that....Just pleaae tel me how do I wound the stator
Old May 05, 2012, 10:41 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren View Post
The cage must be iron to conduct and concentrate magnetism, not aluminium-alloy. The iron must be thin laminations, 0,35mm or thinner. In short, this is a dead end street, sorry
The rotor does not need to be made from laminations.
Steel tube of enough thickness to carry the flux with the magnets glued to the outside would do. Think outrunner turned inside out

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old May 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Any help related to winding stator
Old May 05, 2012, 12:46 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
Help with winding the stator?

Get some magnet wire of the appropriate gauge for the number of turns you want. It might take experimentation to see how much of what gauge will fit. Ideally you want the most copper fill you can get.

Also make sure that the stator is properly insulated. You might want to use thin paper or plastic sheets on the stator arms for that purpose.

From there, it's just a matter of winding the wire around the stator according to the winding scheme you choose.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀