SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
553 Posts
Question
Welders glue

So I'm about to build my first 3D foamie. The instructions call for welders glue so I went to my LHS and they have never heard of welders glue. Can I pick up this glue somewhere else? Home Depot? Is there anything comparable? I want to get started on the build tomorrow.

Thanks
scottieusa is online now Find More Posts by scottieusa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
I just read a post in the crash area and it was mentioned as a way to fix a foamie. I have a hunch it's a good foamie glue, but I've never seen it.

I'd like to know what it is too.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old May 04, 2012, 02:18 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts
loctite stick and seal indoor, no fumes, outdoor, and ultra same stuff I just found it, a fellow foamie guy told me about it
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old May 04, 2012, 02:19 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieusa View Post
So I'm about to build my first 3D foamie. The instructions call for welders glue so I went to my LHS and they have never heard of welders glue. Can I pick up this glue somewhere else? Home Depot? Is there anything comparable? I want to get started on the build tomorrow.

Thanks
I'm surprise your LHS couldn't recommend something else- They must of carried something that could be used on foamies. Anyways, the instructions are probably referring to something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Welder-Contact.../dp/B003E6ZPWA

my personal favorite was the GWS contact glue, but I can't find it anymore. I now get similar stuff from hobbyking. I've also used other stuff like the elmer's contact cement which works well too. Anyhow if you are short on time, check out that amazon link...folks are saying you can get it at wallyworld or other home improvement places. i haven't used it personally so I can't say how it works.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old May 04, 2012, 02:30 AM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Welder glue is used on EPP foam, as it will dissolve other types of foam. Search YouTube for welders glue for tips on how to use it, or go to 3D hobby shop ( 3DHS) and look for the series of videos on building the 33 inch EPP foamy. The name of the glue is "WELDER"...there is no "S" on the end. It can be found online, or from Lowes Hardware stores, but here is where it gets bizarr....The glue is made in Bellingham, Washington and carries the item number on the card 730657. When the Lowe's store enters that number in their computer, nothing comes up. Lowe's has the glue under item number 74526 and it is a red tube of glue with black lettering and is sold in a 2 pack blister pack. Hope this helps.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jan 07, 2014, 03:02 PM
Texas
Joined Jun 2009
17 Posts
Welder dissolves Depron foam! Guess how I know. Building my Slowboat float plane; Is Foam cure glue from BSI Waterproof?
keither is offline Find More Posts by keither
Old Jan 07, 2014, 03:08 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
581 Posts
Lowe's carried Welder for a long time but discontinued it several months ago. It's easy to find on line. Alternatives that work equally well include UHU Por frequently available in craft stores and also on line, and Beacon Foam-Tac, harder to find but it works well. Bob Smith Industries also has out a line of EPP-safe adhesive. No experience with it, but BSI is always a high-confidence bet. Here's a link: http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/foamcure.html
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Jan 07, 2014, 04:00 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
RC Plane Builder carries both Welder and Foam-Tac, but that isn't that helpful if you're itching to build.

http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/tapes-...kqi7hgl4kkl2u4
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Jan 07, 2014, 11:27 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Having built several planes now with the NEW Foam Tac, I find it is better than Welder....pricey, but better
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:33 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,042 Posts
Another alternative to Homax Professional Welder (the full name although we call it "welders") is Beacon Quick Grip sold at Walmart among other places.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:34 AM
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
541 Posts
This BSI flexible works as well if not better than foam tac which besides being very pricey I have found to have a very short shelf life once opened. Unfortunately out of stock but Headsup usually replenishes his stock quickly.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Flexible-Foam-Glue_c276.htm
stemo99 is offline Find More Posts by stemo99
Old Jan 08, 2014, 08:59 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Having built several planes now with the NEW Foam Tac, I find it is better than Welder....pricey, but better
And easier to find.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jan 08, 2014, 09:18 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,503 Posts
edited because I'm grumpy...

I like gorilla glue in a lot of ways.... only thing I really hate is how much harder it is to sand than the foam itself. If you're building up several layers of foam to make a shape by carving and sanding, any GG at the new surface is much harder to sand than the foam and that makes it tough to shape...
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Last edited by failboat; Feb 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 10:41 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
gorilla glue
Good, strong stuff for sure. You need to pay a LOT of attention to it because of the tripling that it does. I guess if you sit and wipe the excess a few times it will not be so bad, but the surface will not be all that pristine.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jan 08, 2014, 11:55 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,503 Posts
Early on I glued a piece of DT foam to a piece of ply and left it to dry..... when I tried to separate the pieces, the foam ripped to shreds
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat