SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
I went and modded the vrx with a 5.8 cp antenna. I first cut the antenna cable, just below the bi-quad antenna. I attached a sma female connector but it came off after moving it around. The stock cable is not the best, with a small diameter. I removed the cable from the vrx itself and added a longer cable using RG174. So far it all works. Next will be a test flight to test video reception without having to point the tx at the plane.
Hi buffythesaint,
is it works without wideband pre-amplifier?
i have the 5.8 cp antenna, sma f connector and RG174 already, but no wideband pre-amplifier.

please advice.

thank you.
djemif is offline Find More Posts by djemif
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djemif View Post
Hi buffythesaint,
is it works without wideband pre-amplifier?
i have the 5.8 cp antenna, sma f connector and RG174 already, but no wideband pre-amplifier.

please advice.

thank you.
The pre amp didn't work well with this setup. It will amplify any noise in the signal and my guess is that the vtx/rx is not the highest quality. The cp antennas worked great without it.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:02 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post

Seems to me the stuff from FPVhobby.com is at least as good or better and I don't need another cheap Tx, just a smallish LCD from ebay for cheap.

But I haven't seen a 5.8 micro system that has any decent range at all, I want at least 1.5 miles if I'm gonna get interested ... just sayin'
Much better to go with FPVhobby micro cam and a 200mw tx with integrated regulator, running both directly on 1S lipo if you want to use 5.8G.

With a Spironet on the Tx and Spironet on the receiver, you will reach 1.5mi. But expect some severe video dropout. You would need a tracking antenna with patch on the receiver to get more range and acceptable reception.

Anyway 5.8G is the worst frequency to go beyond 1.5mi. You should try Lawmate 1.2G 500mW with a "V" antenna on the Tx and a Yagi or patch antenna on the receiver for that purpose.

Don't use any LCD monitor, yo need a bright screen to use outside. Foxtech have the best ones for FPV
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-m8...tor-p-644.html
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2011
226 Posts
hello
i would like update my spyhawk
did somebody how know who can i make an update for mode1 and on off on auto stabilization.
in the menu i can't change mode and stabilization
i have repair my screen like this
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Neuf-3-5-ecran-mo...ht_7130wt_1413
i bought this one it was perfect lcd with card go inside perfectly
sdaudet is offline Find More Posts by sdaudet
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:54 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
there is spyhawk in local maplin store. How i can recognize, what version is in the box? Or, can you recommend any uk i-shop with good price RTF easystar2? Thanks!
flyaboveall is offline Find More Posts by flyaboveall
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaboveall View Post
there is spyhawk in local maplin store. How i can recognize, what version is in the box? Or, can you recommend any uk i-shop with good price RTF easystar2? Thanks!
I just got that one from Maplin and it is the latest V2 (Model: H301F)
Unusual but they had the best price. (Also look for the 7 off coupon code online )
V3 doesn't actually exist yet.
EDcase is offline Find More Posts by EDcase
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:28 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
edcase, on fpvspyhawk.com / spyhawkfpv.com are talking about already released version 3. I dont know when it was released. About maplin coupons, haha, just couple days ago I binned couple of them ..
So, did You try that plane on the field?

Something interesting from Spyhawk FAQ:
Q:When will the GPS Return to Home Module be available?
A:The GPS Return to Home module will not be available for the SpyHawk due to technical reasons.
flyaboveall is offline Find More Posts by flyaboveall
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
FUENGIROLA (MALAGA) Spain
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Hello Buffythesaint, a question: Do you get more video distance with the CP antennas? how much? so, is it advisable to do your brico?
And I have seen in your videos, are you with goggles all the flying time? what is it?.
Thank you!!
juerwotow is offline Find More Posts by juerwotow
Last edited by juerwotow; Nov 22, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juerwotow View Post
Hello Buffythesaint, a question: Do you get more video distance with the CP antennas? how much? so, is it advisable to do your brico?
And I have seen in your videos, are you with goggles all the flying time? what is it?.
Thank you!!
I haven't tried to get any distance with the CP antennas. I did go past the point where the stock setup would drop out. The video was good the whole time. If you want some distance, I think higher up would work better. The 2.4 gear probably isn't the best with the plane out far and low.

My last two flights I used the googles for the whole flight, including landing. I set up a lawn chair and stood in front of it. I had the googles down on my nose and would launch by looking at it. I would get some altitude, move the googles up and sit down for the flight. You can just sit there and fly around without losing video signal.

If you have the funds and want to upgrade to a better FPV platform later, you could try the fatshark video googles. Some models come with the vrx(5.8) built into the googles. You can add the cp antenna to the spyhawk and the cp antenna to the fatshark googles. You just need to match the video frequencies and your off. It's a completely independent vrx/google system that does not plug into the Hubsan tx. Once your hooked on FPV, you'll want to make a better platform and you will have the googles already. Just a thought.
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Nov 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Thank you so much Buffythesaint!!
You are totally right!! I am starting in FPV and I want more and more... but I don't want so much distance, just to move arround the flying field with security and safety.
So, I got a conclusion. The first next step would be to add the CP antennas and later the Googgles.
Thank you and I follow your indications and advises!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
Well this thread probably saved me from disaster on my maiden tomorrow!

After final hook-up, the stabilizations seemed - off.

Finding the info for turning the gyro on/off, I found the default for the rudder was 20 right and one aileron was off. Much easier to fix when you can just shutoff them off to make adjustments.

Thanks all!
stanordave is online now Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
Easy maiden...

Decided to launch wo the gyros, glad I did. Went straight out, need a couple of clicks here and there but no problems. Engaged the stab aug system and some initial jumping around but seemed to work reasonably well..just had to get used to smaller control inputs to make it easier to get around.

Initially couldn't see anything on the screen then realized I was wearing my polaroid sunglasses! Took them off and could see better but still to much glare. Will try the anti-glare filter next outing.

Wonder how the video recorded. My computer doesn't seem to want to read the SD card?

Everyone at the field did like it quite a lot...

cheers,
Mike
stanordave is online now Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Hello all!!
Have anyone of you tried the Fatshark googles with this plane? Which one? I am deciding to buy a google, please give me advises. Thanks!!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juerwotow View Post
Hello all!!
Have anyone of you tried the Fatshark googles with this plane? Which one? I am deciding to buy a google, please give me advises. Thanks!!
I think the Fatsharks will work. Just compare the frequencies of the Fatsharks(with 5.8 module) and the Spyhawk. I'm sure some of the frequencies overlap and they can be used.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
ohh!! GREAT!!!!

I have ordered the Fatshark Attitude to flight with then and also a Spironet antenna, we will see.
At the moment I dont want to make "surgery" to the plane, so, we will try.
Is there any way to check the amount of signal given by the plane? can it be measured?
Because, now, I havent got almost any signal with the original screen transmiter only close to the plane, and I dont know if there is the problem in the plane (TX) ro in the video receiver in the transmiter (RX), how can I check it? any suggestions?

Thank you very much!!!