SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,528 Posts
I had the SpyHawk out this morning for a test flight. I'm getting some poor video but I think it's a mismatch in polorization. I tried the pre-amp but it made it worse. The problem with the pre-amp is, if you get a poor signal, it will amplify the interference. I'll try again when I have a cp antenna on the plane. I have the vtx out of the spyhawk already. I'll add an extension and then a female sma adaptor. I'll post pics after completion.

Here is an unedited video, of a flight this morning, I recorded with my GS DVR.

SpyHawk CP antenna test (4 min 25 sec)
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,528 Posts
I was able to remove the vtx from the SpyHawk. Make sure you take some pics and mark each wire where it came from. Much easier to reassemble. I removed the stock cable/antenna from the vtx and added an RG174 extension with a sma female on the end. I just ran the cable forward and up onto a hole I made. It came out very clean looking.

Here is a test video after both CP antennas have been installed. I did not try the pre-amp yet. The results were great! I had the tx pointed down our runnway the whole time.

SpyHawk CP antenna test #2 (3 min 23 sec)
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
video goggles

Which video glasses are suitable for this TX? I found one that is around $100 at chinavasion.com and wonder if it would work. Thanks.
alexecheverria is offline Find More Posts by alexecheverria
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexecheverria View Post
Which video glasses are suitable for this TX? I found one that is around $100 at chinavasion.com and wonder if it would work. Thanks.
It will depend if you have a 3.5mm plug, with the googles, to plug into the tx. The tx has video only and only requires a two pin 3.5mm jack, ground and video. I lucked out because I had a Lawmate vrx cable that fit into the tx jack. The cable is a three pin type, video on the tip, audio in the middle and ground closest to the rubber. I had to use the audio channel(middle) to get the video to work, therefore a two pin adapter would work. I'll look for one myself as I want to make a shorter cable to plug into. Do some more research on the specs of the googles and see exactly what they come with. Hate to see you get them and they don't work right away. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexecheverria View Post
Can you post a link to the googles you are talking about? I'll take a look at them and see what they come with.

Here is a link to the Lawmate av cable that I use to plug into the Hubsan tx. I use the audio channel(white RCA plug) on the lawmate cable and plug it into the video in on the glasses.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=755
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,528 Posts
Does anyone know what the exact video frequency number is for the SpyHawk? I sent an e-mail to Hubsan but no response yet.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Hi Brian,

You can select the frequency with 5Mhz increment from 5710Mhz to 5920Mhz included...
alexvarlet is offline Find More Posts by alexvarlet
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvarlet View Post
Hi Brian,

You can select the frequency with 5Mhz increment from 5710Mhz to 5920Mhz included...
Doh!! I should of seen that in the menu, Thanks.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Hi Brian,

Anything new on your testing?
alexvarlet is offline Find More Posts by alexvarlet
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Sep 2012
124 Posts
How much would you charge to set up my unit like that?
Maseo54 is offline Find More Posts by Maseo54
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvarlet View Post
Hi Brian,

Anything new on your testing?
Alex, I haven't done any RC in the last few weeks. Before that I was flying my SkyWalker. Usually the winds die down in the evening but its been very windy all nite long lately. The Spyhawk likes calmer nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseo54 View Post
How much would you charge to set up my unit like that?
Sorry, but I'm not interested in modding the SpyHawk for others. If you have a good soldering iron and some solder skills, this mod is very easy. The CP antennas were from ReadyMadeRC so you just need to add the antenna extensions and sma fittings.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:05 PM
FUENGIROLA (MALAGA) Spain
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Hello all!
I am very interested in this model, can you tell me if does it work? What about the new version? is it better? can you post your impresions? and when it is windy? does it manage with the wind?
Thank you!!
juerwotow is offline Find More Posts by juerwotow
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:40 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
656 Posts
Smart product idea. Having the LCD on the Tx makes so much sense. And the field is more confusing than ever. I'm tempted, but I want to hear a lot more info on the range and a lot more first hand experience. I'm waiting for the micro kits to get better range and reliability since all my planes are relatively small.

Good that RCmodelreviews.com covered it though. This guy is always spot-on in my experience.

Hmmm having watched the review, apparently you cannot move the FPV guts to another airframe? NOT good.

Seems to me the stuff from FPVhobby.com is at least as good or better and I don't need another cheap Tx, just a smallish LCD from ebay for cheap.

But I haven't seen a 5.8 micro system that has any decent range at all, I want at least 1.5 miles if I'm gonna get interested ... just sayin'
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Last edited by rotagen; Oct 09, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
A "brico" to get the CG in its place and to get double time flying...check and give you opinion.
greetings
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Helo again, a question, do you put any reinforcement to the lens of the camera? to avoid the impact in the landings? or it is resistant?
Thank you!!