HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2005
143 Posts
i dont think its minimal at all. dont forget it's the whole wing area that's moving..! bigger movements would only result in a stalling wing, with loss of lift and lost of drag as a result. I thinkt this will be just about right..
Johannez is offline Find More Posts by Johannez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:53 AM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Sooooo, when is it gonna fly?
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2005
143 Posts
back on track!
It seems like the hobbyglue coating isn't all that great after all. I assumed it was waterproof since it's an acryllic glue, but just to be sure i just tested it and apparently it becomes a bit sticky again when wet... :S
I was gonna paint it anyway but now i'll have to do it before it's first flight. will look better on tape...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2005
143 Posts
WELLLL ALMOST finnished..!

after two days and nights of frantic work, she's about ready to fly..!

I've painted and coated it with acryllic parquet laquer. it bonded really well with the glue and gave it a smooth shiny finnish, so it worked out fine after all. I did a very minimal paintjob, just painted the beak yellow, some black stripes on the wingtips and the eyes. I like to keep that "home-made" look she has..

I just need to make a few more minor improvements, but everything's working and she's ready to be testflown! I will do so first change I get..!

The whole thing can be taken apart and all components can be removed without any tools..:

and she fits in the original MIG's box..

I'm quite pleased with the result, and I suspect she will fly very nicely. Maybe a bit underpowered but.. well, no use to speculate. I'll just do it and make a video of the maiden...soon!
Last edited by Johannez; Jun 13, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,623 Posts
That is one sweet looking bird, pun intended! We have lots of gulls around here, right off the westen end of Lake Superior, and they tend to linger around the air. But give them a tail wind and they really move! Looks great and good luck on maiden.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Fantastic job!
Good luck on maiden!
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
What's the final weight? I measured my sabre to weigh about 105 grams. Yours has a much larger wing area so should be able to carry plenty of weight while still being able to fly. Maybe you could use some sort of spray-coating to prevent the glue from becoming sticky again?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:10 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2005
143 Posts
I measured her total final weight at 217 grams. that's a bit more than twice the weight of the MIG. BUT she has a way larger span than the MIG, 108 cm, and a wing area of 8,46 dm2, which gives her a wingloading of 25,6 gr/dm2... someone smart enough to roughly predict her flying speed..?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,403 Posts
Very cool mod! With that wing area it should fly nicely - find a slope and you could even do some soaring with it!
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Tedburn St Mary
Joined Apr 2012
225 Posts
that'll fly fine
200g for a 1000mm span is great
vengeance111 is offline Find More Posts by vengeance111
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:51 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Very cool mod! With that wing area it should fly nicely - find a slope and you could even do some soaring with it!
that's the idea..!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, FL, Fruitland Park
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
I've been watching this build. You are really innovative in your approach. Thats what makes this hobby so great, when people like you step outside of the box.okThat is a great looking bird. I hope you take video of the test flight, would love to see it.
vwbuggyhead is offline Find More Posts by vwbuggyhead
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2005
143 Posts
Well... a video of the maiden -erh- 'flight'

seagull first flight (7 min 56 sec)

Seems like it needs some serious modifications. those down swept wings look nice but in combination wuth such a short tail they seem too unstable. I'll make them stand up a bit more, make a longer tail with inverted V, and give the wings stronger servo's and twist-spars, improve aerodynamics by taking out the 'bulge' on it's back by integrating the A3 flightcontroller with the hull, and move the CG a bit to the front while doing so... see if that works.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't go too well.
Maybe you could move the cg further forward? As far as I can tell by the way it tumbles, it seems to be very tail-heavy. Someone at my club had a slope glider in the shape of a seagull, it also crashed because of a wrong cg. Also, the throws that come from its big tail may be a bit too much for a smooth glide.
Hope you can fix that wing.
Hanzie
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,403 Posts
Nice explanation of an amazing project! I agree with hanzie, it looks tail heavy.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia