HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Discussion
B-17 Bomber-- People's Choice Thread......

Hi B-17 bomber enthusiasts.
I have been trying desperately to figure out which B-17 to purchase, so have spent an incredible amount of time reading thru the various -17 threads. There is so much info it makes the head spin?!

I searched but could not find a simple thread that tries to compare the different B-17 models out there on the market....the goods, bads, scale, realism, easy to mod, flying ability, etc.

I apologize if this has been done already, but if not, would hope everyone with a B-17 model might toss in a few of their thoughts here. Why you picked the plane you did? Maybe toss in a few thoughts about why a certain model stands out above the others?

I don't mean for this to be a "build" thread, or bashing thread, just some of your thoughts/considerations that can help other -17 buyers that are on the fence about which to buy a helping hand.

Thanks to all of you.
Ken

BTW: I am really leaning towards the large HK Memphis Bell plane right now. The all green with yellow engine cowls.
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,808 Posts
That is a very popular one at the field I fly at.
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old May 03, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2011
233 Posts
Like you I looked long and hard at pro's & con of size, scale, fly-ability and reliability.
Decided on HK B17, especially like the way she sets on her gear. I was concerned on shipping but with the $52 option I pulled the trigger this week on order.
dmyers0403 is offline Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Old May 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Yeah, I just like the looks of that larger one...just "seems" more scale lines.

dmyers...'which' HK did you get?

Thank guys.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 07:30 PM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
get the 1875mm b-17 i own 2 of them and one is on its way to be super detailed. i love the plane and it flys nice. im kind of know as the b-17 guru sense i own everyone but the asm produced
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Old May 03, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Yeah, I just like the looks of that larger one...just "seems" more scale lines.

dmyers...'which' HK did you get?

Thank guys.
Ken
I ordered the 1875 Memphis Bell, looking forward to it. Lot of positive post on it.
Be sure and check the $52 shipping option or it will default to the oversize $74 rate
dmyers0403 is offline Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Old May 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
I was thinking about sytarting a simialr thread seeing there are so many choices. Thanks for this one Ken.

Does the HK 1875mm only come in the MB green scheme, can't see another one on their site as far as I could figure?
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old May 04, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
I think I'm going to go for this in June...............

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/b_17_nine...39310_prd1.htm

I like the scheme, paint, gear detail, split flaps and general scale detail..............little smaller than the HK one tho'..................

.........and FWIW Hobby Lobby have yet to jerk me around..........but that's purely subjective to my experience.............
Demsey is offline Find More Posts by Demsey
Old May 04, 2012, 06:15 PM
Cowboy of the skys
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
thats the freewing b-17. shes a nice flyer
Old May 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
Oh. Did not know that. So I guess it's available?

lol Hobby Lobby markets it as 'eRC An Exclusive Brand of Hobby Lobby international'

The more I kick around this foamie electric war bird thing the more I think THEY ALL fall out of the same tree (factory)....................
Demsey is offline Find More Posts by Demsey
Old May 04, 2012, 06:53 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Yup lots of rebranding going on.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 04, 2012, 07:09 PM
Cowboy of the skys
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
you can get that plane at alot of distributors, hobbyking, hobby-lobby, banana hobby, general hobby there are probably a few more that im not mentioning and a few more over seas
Old May 04, 2012, 10:08 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
I've flown both the Freewing (63") and the Hobbyking (73"), and I much prefer the way the larger plane flys. With its larger wingspan and thicker wing chord, the Hobbyking version seems to fly slower and more scale, and it feels much more stable in the air than the smaller Freewing version. The Hobbyking version is just a very docile, smooth, flyable airplane.

I haven't flown the larger 79" X-UAV, but I bet that's a pretty nice flying version too. It also comes with a working Bomb drop (unlike the Freewing and Hobbyking planes), and BH has it in three different versions....tan, silver, and green.

If I were buying another B-17, I think my choice would come down to either the Hobbyking version or the X-UAV version...with the deciding factor probably being based on whether I was looking for a model of a B-17F or a B-17G.

(P.S. Disclosure...I own a Hobbyking B-17, and I love it! )
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Last edited by pilot40874; May 04, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:19 PM
Cowboy of the skys
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
the big 79" b-17 isnt a x-uav its a starmax. some details are off but it could be fixed. i still prefer the 1875mm hobbyking b-17 and i love f models
Old May 07, 2012, 02:01 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hi guys.
I am glad to see this thread still active.
I am away on a trip.....just commissioned our son as 2lt USAF and he graduated Auburn University with Aerospace Engineering degree. Next, it's back to San Antonio TX to lay my mom to rest...she passed away just before our trip.
Our daughter, meanwhile, moved out with her USAF Pilot boyfriend to luke AFB, Arizona. Talk about a lot to take in at one time. Now she just let us know she and her boyfriend were moving into their new house and his appendix burst!?! I can't handle too much more.......... EXCEPT:
If THIS is waiting on my doorstep when I finally make it back to Del Rio:
http://www.generalhobby.com/flying-f...ver-p-289.html

Oh yeah...it's coming. I was able to get the order in just before we left in the car for the airport.
I hope I made a good decision since I was trying to rush the order in.

Warbird Cowboy....I am so glad to have you relating your experience here. I imagine it can be of help to many folks that are/were in my shoes. There is just too much wide-spread info on the B-17's and we needed a place to help relate the differences a bit more easily. A big thank you for repsonding!!!

Now, how is my selection? I have been flying RC for 40+ yrs and am no stranger playing "mod maniac" to a lot of my planes. I am definitely planning to add as much realism as I can..... that is within reason. I like this one for the size, lack of the giant nose turret, the open rear gunner, tail gunner positions, etc. The retracts "looked" ok, I plan to add a tail retract, I like the paint scheme...silver in our HOT Texas area,

Thanks to all of you who have responded...great info and the sharing will help many more of us.
Ken (from my hotel way over here in SE Alabama)
RCG Plus Member