HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Discussion
Zippy Flightmax or Turnigy 4s 5000mah. Is one better than the other.

I'm looking to get some inexpensive 5000mah 4s batteries from
Hobby King (USA Warehouse) and just curious the difference between Zippy and Turnigy.

I'm looking at the ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 30C at $37.54

Turnigy 5000mAh 4S 25C at $39.99

Is any one better than the other, the Zippy has tons of reviews and the Turnigy does not have many reviews.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 01:48 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
Hobby King (USA Warehouse) and just curious the difference between Zippy and Turnigy.

Is any one better than the other, the Zippy has tons of reviews and the Turnigy does not have many reviews.
My last zippy flightmax 2200mah 3S puffed only after about 25 flights, so I haven't bought one since. That was about 3 yrs ago. Perhaps they are better now.

Recently I've bought many of the Turnigys, ranging from 2s 350, all the way to 3S 4000 and all have been holding up pretty well. Unless someone else chimes in to say otherwise, I'd go for the Turnigy.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 02:08 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,112 Posts
I have a few 3S Zippy's and they have been working just fine.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old May 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,931 Posts
Quote:

Turnigy packs have been pretty good for me. but they do eventually start to puff and lose power. Have you tried Sky Lipo or Gens Ace packs yet? They are both considerably better than the stuff from Hobby King. And everything over $50 has free shipping...

www.hobbypartz.com
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old May 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Thanks guys,
Hobby King only had a few left of the Turnigy ones so I bought 5 of them.
Old May 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Sure hope you get them.

HK doesn't have the best reputation.

Buyer beware.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old May 03, 2012, 11:07 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Sure hope you get them.

Buyer beware.
No sweat. He's buying from USA warehouse, not the inter warehouse. He should get it in 3-5 days.

Jasper, if you wouldn't mind, pls report back when you get it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 05:51 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Sure hope you get them.

Buyer beware.
Not having a go woodcrafter but i've seen this sort of post from you on a few threads now,so i was wondering what you brought from HK that was so bad that you feel you have to say buyer beware?

I've been buying from HK for well over 5 years or so now and in that time i have never had a problem with them at all,i will admit when i first started to order from them one of my orders was taking a bit longer than i thought it should,then i found out that it was the Chinese New Year and everything and all stores over there have problems at that time of year,because there postal service get backed up,so it wasn't even Hobbykings fault at the end of the day.

I'm one of them blokes that like to help people out when i can,i found Hobbyking a bit later than i would of liked when i first go into the hobby,so after that i said to myself i will tell the world about HK every chance i get and so i do,because i couldn't believe how cheap and how good there products are and the Durafly range of warbirds is really good and better than some of the well known names out there who make warbirds.
Ok i was a bit late telling people about HK but i've been making up for that in the last few months.

No i don't have no commercial affiliation to Hobbyking and what i say above i stand by.
startazz is online now Find More Posts by startazz
Old May 04, 2012, 07:02 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,501 Posts
I have two 4900ma. five cell Zippy Rhinos in use as a ten cell pack, for 3 yrs in 3 different planes and they work as good now as when I bought them.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 04, 2012, 07:40 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,223 Posts
I've got some 4s 2200mah 30c Turnigy's and also some Zippy Flightmax packs, my opinion based of flight performance I always felt like the Turnigy packs performed better. This seems to have been backed up as a couple weeks ago I had a couple very agressive flights and a Flightmax pack came down puffed but the Turnigy was fine and I took just us much charge out of it.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old May 04, 2012, 08:23 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I haven't had a problem personally but I have read MANY threads on several forums about HK customer service. Here is a link to the worst one I have seen.
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t658689p1/
I have been around long enough to know that anytime a company is so cheap, service suffers. This is because good service cost money and selling really a cheap product doesn't leave a lot of profit margin for good service.

Just my opinion but I'm sticking to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
Not having a go woodcrafter but i've seen this sort of post from you on a few threads now,so i was wondering what you brought from HK that was so bad that you feel you have to say buyer beware?

I've been buying from HK for well over 5 years or so now and in that time i have never had a problem with them at all,i will admit when i first started to order from them one of my orders was taking a bit longer than i thought it should,then i found out that it was the Chinese New Year and everything and all stores over there have problems at that time of year,because there postal service get backed up,so it wasn't even Hobbykings fault at the end of the day.

I'm one of them blokes that like to help people out when i can,i found Hobbyking a bit later than i would of liked when i first go into the hobby,so after that i said to myself i will tell the world about HK every chance i get and so i do,because i couldn't believe how cheap and how good there products are and the Durafly range of warbirds is really good and better than some of the well known names out there who make warbirds.
Ok i was a bit late telling people about HK but i've been making up for that in the last few months.

No i don't have no commercial affiliation to Hobbyking and what i say above i stand by.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old May 04, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Turnigy packs have been pretty good for me. but they do eventually start to puff and lose power. Have you tried Sky Lipo or Gens Ace packs yet? They are both considerably better than the stuff from Hobby King. And everything over $50 has free shipping...

www.hobbypartz.com
Thanks,
I looked but I have never heard of them before. I would like to purchase something that I know will be good, especially if it's going on a $1,500 multicopter.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:57 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,823 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,
I looked but I have never heard of them before. I would like to purchase something that I know will be good, especially if it's going on a $1,500 multicopter.
Gens Ace is a bit heavier, but well proven to hold up.

regular Turnigy brand has held up for many, many, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it, even on a $1.5K project.

With that being said, if you still think you need more than that, then by all means get the best,...that is get ThunderPower
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Thanks,

I just went with the 4s 5000Mah 25c Turnigy's.
I'm sure they'll be ok.

Thanks.
Old May 05, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Lipo questions

I too have questions about Zippy and Turnigy. I currently have a 4cell 5000mah 20 c Zippy and want to add a 2cell 5000mah 20 c zippy in series to it. The problem now is that the 2 cell 5000 is on terminal back order! Is it o.k. to combine mixed battery brands as long as specs are the same? Also, what is the diff between "hard packs" and regular lipo's?
welister is offline Find More Posts by welister