HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 10:06 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
there is trick to smooth video you do lot of forward flight because you tend to take smoothest video in forward flight. panning shots are the toughest. so, you do the best you can and you can deshake some of the movement. out (but you need it pretty smooth before you can use software)

I don't bother with using stabilization, since I am testing how well mount work. but almost all end result are edited and deshaked. remember, I don't use fpv. all done from ground line of sight.

F550 is bigger and able to carry bigger load. but I feel they are equally stable. (Larger/heavier is alway bit better though in general, having a well tuned setup is more critical)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 12:19 AM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
I think bigger would be better in wind...?

If I am doing outdoor stuff this would be a benefit.

So, mount the camera sideways and fly forward to get the pan but still be stable...?

And I imagine a quad vs hex is only a matter of payload as well.
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Last edited by BpPilot; May 05, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 12:48 AM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
So here is where I am at thus far:

Definitely GoPro. I like what I have scene out of the GoPro Hero2, especially isolated and post edited.

I am starting research on the differences between MultiWii and Naza type controllers. Seems that the Naza is a better unit for smooth flying more suited for what I am going for. (Probably will do some informal wedding type filming, maybe some Real Estate if I can meet the right people, and maybe compilations for band shows and the like.)

Im looking into frame options now. Hex vs Quad still undecided.

Id like to get a good amount of flight time ~20-30 min possibly...?

Also looking at size. Bigger should get me more battery capacity (which should get me more time...?) Bigger may be more stable. Bigger could, down the road, give me more options on cameras...?

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Again, any further comments are greatly appreciated.
Old May 05, 2012, 01:03 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
i consider this cinematography:

http://vimeo.com/35160025

http://vimeo.com/13774420

The shots are not just random. they use different axis for dynamic powerful movement.
Did you shoot these?
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old May 05, 2012, 07:42 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
Did you shoot these?
nooo. i was just saying that is cinematography. I wish. give me a couple of years, ill be there soon enough.

I shoot on sticks:

http://video.hapdigital.com/

Here are my attempts at aerial video so far. keep in mind I have only been flying helicopters since December.

DJI Flame Wheel 450 w/Naza and Gopro (2 min 50 sec)

naza x486 flamegear f450 test (5 min 43 sec)
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 05, 2012, 08:43 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
20 is about max, with 10-15min being the norm. well, f550 ARF is only 330 bucks. and will allow you to upgrade to bigger gimbal later on.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 10:16 AM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Dec 2005
365 Posts
Here is my VC-450 FPV rig. I'm currently putting together an HT-FPV frame using the exact same components as this setup, the frame will remove the props from view and ought to provide a nice and clear FOV. This entire cost of this setup was under $1k:

And a video produced from this setup. I'm still working on my video editing.

Reflect (3 min 1 sec)
Al Austria is offline Find More Posts by Al Austria
Old May 05, 2012, 10:24 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Austria View Post
Here is my VC-450 FPV rig. I'm currently putting together an HT-FPV frame using the exact same components as this setup, the frame will remove the props from view and ought to provide a nice and clear FOV. This entire cost of this setup was under $1k:

And a video produced from this setup. I'm still working on my video editing.
Very nice flying and video Al. One suggestion, as you started the slow (for this type of video [reflection]), I suggest to do the flights slowly to give a better impact of your purpose than flying too fast. Again, for this kind of video, slow is more powerful. But I like your flying and can't wait to see the next one (without the props in the video )
Great work!
..Ben
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old May 05, 2012, 10:57 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
891 Posts
Sounds like figuring out what camera your going to be shooting with should be top on your list. You mention dslr and then a gopro, those are two different animals in terms of weight and that is going to determine your build. I just did my first build and used carbon fiber scraps that cost well under 50 dollars. I am using a ardupilot mega that has tilt/ roll camera gimbal outputs from the board (kinda cool uses the same sensors are the flight controller). I am having an interesting time flying head on, not so used to so much yaw input. That video clip Wingbreaker gave was sick, theres a lot to what they did. I think getting a very reliable FPV system is key, for flying but getting your shots. I'v got a lawmate 1.2 800 mw system I am going to feed my still/video cams through. Man there are so many little things and not one of them can go wrong when your in the air.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old May 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
At this point I am mostly set on going with a GoPro. It might be nice to upgrade to a Sony Nex5n or something similar some day though.

As for FPV, who makes a good reliable setup? What kind of money would I be looking at for a decent system? I would only be talking about flying about a couple hundred yards max from myself.

I'm thinking the F550 would be better for mounting a camera as well as FPV gear...?