HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpPilot View Post
Yes, let me explain, I have a friend who is in wedding photography/cinematography and I am trying to come up with a proposal for a aerial addition to his repetiteur. I would be relying on him for the camera expertise.

This is all just research for me. I am simply trying to gather information for a prospective proposal.

(Read: I have always wanted to get into multirotor copters but have never had a good excuse to spend this kind of money till now!)
OK well you would still need to read up on rule of thirds, use of mechanicals for video, the golden ratio, and any other photography or cinematography book you can get your hands on. Getting good shots will be more than just sending a craft with a camera up there.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 11:26 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Askman, that is nice video for a GoPro.

Wingbreaker, yes I do need to do a lot of research and learning before I get anywhere near where I would like to be someday. For now, I am trying to see what kind of money and mechanics are involved in getting there.

Again, thank you all very much for the input.
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old May 03, 2012, 11:27 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
hehe. I don't claim to be a cinematographer LOL. thanks goodness. but I still have to test the dang thing though

well, maximize what you have and practice will get you started. then practice some more. it is not easy, and there are tons to learn. if you persevere, you may get there. no magic bullet.

some of the best videos I've seen are done with simple gear. it is the person behind it that matters.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 11:33 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
So far my best results were from a hard mounted go pro on a dji 450 ARF which they are giving away BTW with the purchase of the WK-M. Askman and his buddy make a dampening mount for it. I got that on the way. i'll post results when it gets here.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:03 AM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Ok, from what I have gathered here, to be really serious about this, I am going to need some serious money and a lot more research.

This is a good start for me. All I was looking for was a place to start looking...

Thanks for all the comments.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
you can build a hobby king quad for under 200 bucks and hard mount a go pro to it. this will help you see if you're even interested. I actually ordered parts for one like 1 month ago. then i ordered a flame wheel. that thing got here fast and I decided to learn on that. if you fly CP helis these things are easy. the most difficult thing is organizing the electronics and getting that darn camera stable. Still waiting on HK parts.....
Old May 04, 2012, 12:50 AM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Yes, I have been flying CP heli's for a few years now.

I may do a small build for a GoPro just as a proof of concept device.

http://xproheli.com/quadcopter/xp2-r...deo-quadcopter

Interesting copter. The sample GoPro Hero2 video looks really nice when slowed down and edited.
Last edited by BpPilot; May 04, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 01:45 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
kinda pricey
Old May 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
True but i could gather the components for a whole lot less. Id buy the frame, motors, and esc's from them, and then get the board and other odds and ends from other sources. Im thinking ~$800 for the bare flying copter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=-m5s3Jjfx4s#!
Old May 04, 2012, 04:32 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
you can get DJI 450ARF plus naza for $420.00 you can get gopro iso mount from tppacks.com with leg for 90 bucks. so that is only 510bucks for ready to fly proven gopro system. throw in a few 4s4000 packs and with 8" blade and you are set to go. and trust me. naza is lot easier to fly than multiwii. it just is rock stable and much simpler to setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Why is Naza easier than MultiWii?
Old May 04, 2012, 05:24 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well tuned, multiwii is good in rate mode, not very good in attitude mode. (lack of kalman filtering in its acc signal) meanwhile, naza has great attitude mode and altitude hold. this makes them very easy to fly. tuning is also much easier on naza. it will fly out of box with stock setting on DJI450 and do it well. (you can make it better with tuning) multiwii also requires fair amount of tuning to have it fly well.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 06:06 PM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
So, if i were to go with a DJI450 and a naza, is there a good GoPro mount that would isolate vibrations?

How smooth of video can be achieved with this setup?
Old May 04, 2012, 06:29 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
the gopro video that I posted earlier was done on 450 with isolation mount. sunex lens on goproHD.

http://tppacks.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=29

disclaimer is that I make those isolation mount. they work pretty well.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 06:57 PM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Yes, i don't see signs of Jello.

How much roll and tilt wobble can be edited out by software?

Also, how does the F450 compare to the F550?

Thanks