HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 04:08 AM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Help!
Good Starting Point for Aerial Videography? -- Budget ~$1000

Hello, I am starting my homework on options for a relatively stable aerial videography drone. As stated in the thread title, I am looking for options preferably under $1000.

I am thinking that it would be a good idea to start off small and go with an option capable of lifting a GoPro instead of going for a full size DSLR.

I am just asking for advice on where to start looking. I have been flying RC Helicopters and fixed wing aircraft for many years now but am new to the multirotor scene. I currently own a JR X9303 (9ch) that i would like to use as my main TX.

My primary use would be for filming weddings and engagements so I would like the setup to be capable of very smooth footage.

Please feel free to post any comments or other questions not covered in the above rant.

Again, I am new to this scene, so please tell me if my idea is reasonable or completely unrealistic.

Thanks.

On a side note, I have recently been playing around with an Arduino micro-controller and I very much enjoy builds so parts kits are definitely an option.
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Last edited by BpPilot; May 05, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 06:24 AM
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Lysekil
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
This might be a litle bit smal, but it is a very easy to fly quadro:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-f330-...propeller.html
nestergaard is offline Find More Posts by nestergaard
Old May 03, 2012, 06:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Build some garbage using cheap ghetto parts for ~100-200$. Crash and trash it while learning.
Then buy $10k cinestar frame. Basically: your budget is unreasonable.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 03, 2012, 12:01 PM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
By learn do you mean learning how to fly them? And by unreasonable, do you mean that it would not be possible to get a good stable platform for that price?

I don't need it to be so solid that you could not tell that it was filmed from a small platform, just solid enough so that it would not look stupid.

I appreciate the comments, but I'm not willing to give up just yet.

Thanks
Old May 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i have built a decent rig for about $1500

it is with used parts... almost completely.

Used RC-Carbon frame $250
Used HoverFly Pro $375
ESCs $125
2814 sunnysky motors $300ish
MKTR $500ish
AR8000+TM1000
CC BEC

so...... it is about as close as you get to something that will shoot good quality video that you cannot tell is on a multirotor.... its not perfect....

new parts..... that will be touch. If you want GoPro video that is easy to do @ $1k
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 03, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
15 Posts
I'm Cheaper.

Rotor Concept HPQ1 for 350 $ ( 2 batteries )
1 spektrum DX6i ( 180$ )
1 GoPro Naked ( 270 $ )
TX and RX 5.8 GHZ ( 89$ hobby wireless )

I'm only missing a Gimbal for better stabilization. I'm able to program the remote control in Mode 2 with very smooth movement. but i still need tweaking until i get a decent gimbal.

So it's the best of both world.

With the tx and rx, i see live what my cam see and record in HD at the same time.

If you want to go with full SLR, buy a t580.

For the programming of my DX6i and test before applying the programs to the HPQ1, i bought the BLADE MQX. This way, i can test my controls with the MQX and then, copy them to my HPQ1 memory. ( 169 $ )

Overall, close to 1000 $ But impossible to upgrade my kit to a SLR without changing the quad copter itself.

GOOD LUCK !
jfgad is offline Find More Posts by jfgad
Old May 03, 2012, 01:27 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
BpPilot, I'm new to multirotors myself, but your idea sounds reasonable to me. Decent GoPro type videos under $1000 definitely. I recommend looking through multirotor videos for stuff you like and copying a system. For example, the Naza flight controller thread has lots of builds in your range and flight videos.
There are several kit systems under 1000$, such as the DJI ones, ready to go that take great video with a GoPro.
You may be better asking in the aerial photography section, as those guys can give you more specific advice.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; May 03, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Hexa XL frame from MK
BC3536-11 750kv RCTimer motors with sealed boca bearings
APC 11X4.5 or Graupner E-prop 11X5
F-30A or F-40A HK ESC
MultiWii / Naze32 / Naza

should be really under your $1000 budget and can lift a 800g camera payload easy.

Or for under $300 you can make your own quad and get really nice video. Check out this thread on how to build one. Make sure to check my latests post for an FPV/AP quad.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494207

Hope it helps
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old May 03, 2012, 10:15 PM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Ok, thank you all for the responses.

At this point i might be more interested in spending a little more and going for a larger platform capable of lifting a full size camera. Bear in mind I am just starting out doing research in this area so any comments are really appreciated.

If I raise the budget to $2000, will that get me smooth quality for an SLR?

I just stumbled across the MK Okto2. Any thoughts?
Last edited by BpPilot; May 03, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, UT, Cottonwood Heights
Joined Mar 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpPilot View Post
Excuse my being new here but what is SLR?

At this point i might be more interested in spending a little more and going for a larger platform capable of lifting a full size camera. Bear in mind I am just starting out doing research in this area so any comments are really appreciated.
SLR stands for single lens reflex, nowadays it's called DSLR (guess what the D stands for). Don't worry, you'll be spending a "little" more money if you decide down this path.
tstrike is online now Find More Posts by tstrike
Old May 03, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Witespy RTF $460
Quadframe camara gimbal $86
2 hitec servos $40
Go pro2 $299
AdaptedEye is offline Find More Posts by AdaptedEye
Old May 03, 2012, 11:52 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpPilot View Post
Ok, thank you all for the responses.

If I raise the budget to $2000, will that get me smooth quality for an SLR?

I just stumbled across the MK Okto2. Any thoughts?
I'm a bit confused. Do you want to only do aerial videography or shoot complete weddings and such? I'm not trying to be rude, but if you do not know the term SLR or DSLR, I'm pretty sure you are far from shooting a decent quality video for a client. I've been at the video business for almost 20 years. I'm still not the greatest but I'm getting better every day

http://video.hapdigital.com/

I know just as much about composition and lighting for mechanical shots as anyone else on here, maybe more. However, I'm just learning RC Aerial videography now. I just need to learn how to get a stable rig going to extend my reach. It is a pretty rough start I'm having. I got a new rig on the way. once I get a smooth camera going it will be another paint brush for me. I'd suggest learning about what makes video dynamic before offering services.

DJI Flame Wheel 450 w/Naza and Gopro (2 min 50 sec)

naza x486 flamegear f450 test (5 min 43 sec)

With that being said. I know from experience you can get a good trainer rig under 1k with a go pro but it most likely will not shoot cinema quality images. I'm busting out about $2600 on my next rig. I have high hopes but if I can get something stable up there I know I can make some beautiful stuff.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 04, 2012, 12:02 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
this is something I did just for fun as I was trying to focus in my gopro/sunex. no stabilization. simple isolation only . LOS flying. you can get decent video flying smoothly. first two vid is F450 and last is F550

gopro focusing test sunex lens (11 min 16 sec)

this is same , but focused in and better tuned. windy day though

gopro 1080p.wmv (2 min 59 sec)

and this is with GF3 and roll stabilized only (no stabilization in tilt) ok, I had esc/moto connection issue that caused the glitch. lol

GF3 test 4. tilt connected to RX. but powered by naza big mistake (1 min 38 sec)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; May 04, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:11 AM
Molon Labe
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Yes, let me explain, I have a friend who is in wedding photography/cinematography and I am trying to come up with a proposal for a aerial addition to his repetiteur. I would be relying on him for the camera expertise.

This is all just research for me. I am simply trying to gather information for a prospective proposal.

(Read: I have always wanted to get into multirotor copters but have never had a good excuse to spend this kind of money till now!)
Old May 04, 2012, 12:11 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
i consider this cinematography:

2012 reel (2 min 28 sec)

Copter Kids Aerial Reel (3 min 39 sec)

The shots are not just random. they use different axis for dynamic powerful movement.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker