HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:33 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I had to fly with 2s today because I kept throwing the prop off with 3s. A I have are the regular O rings. Well I went to Lowes and got some surgical tubing. Boy that stuff is tuff to get on the prop saver. I finally got a surgical clamp and used that to spread the ring and it was alot easier. Yeah I think these things will hold. Its 1/4" ID tubing.

Tom
I use a cheap crochet hook from Michaels. put one end on, hook the other on the crochet hook, simple and quick. <$1 for a pack of 2.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:37 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I use a cheap crochet hook from Michaels. put one end on, hook the other on the crochet hook, simple and quick. <$1 for a pack of 2.

Azarr
And you get something to do when its windy
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
And you get something to do when its windy
LOL, I was just about to say good idea, but don't let the guys at the flying field see you with 2 of them.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Beleive me you will love it! I had zero 3D experience before this plane it makes me look decent! Hovers are effortless, pull straight up, feather the controls to maintain the hover, done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhampton View Post
I just got a cp and I think Ill be finished with it tonight so maybe get to fly it tomorrow here at the airport. I bought some three blade props to try out but not real sure how to mount them yet. Oh well Im sure Ill figure it out. I hope this thing lives up to its hipe, Im sure it will from reveiwing this thread, this will be my first real attempt at 3d flying, ive always been more interested in scale aerobatics due to my full time job
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
636 Posts
Well, It's official...got my conformation emails from Twisted for the fuse and landing gear, from Value for the motor and speedo, and from Heads up for the servos(decided to go all new on the running gear....besides, you can beat 4.99 a piece for SG92R 'sand $2.00 shipping)

Got a fresh tube of Welders and my work bench is cleared off....just waiting for the Mail man
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I had to fly with 2s today because I kept throwing the prop off with 3s. A I have are the regular O rings. Well I went to Lowes and got some surgical tubing. Boy that stuff is tuff to get on the prop saver. I finally got a surgical clamp and used that to spread the ring and it was alot easier. Yeah I think these things will hold. Its 1/4" ID tubing.

Tom
The surgical tubing I got at Lowes was 5mm I.d. I use two bands cut just larger than 1/8" to hold the prop on. It very rarely comes off now.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:51 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post

Azarr

Thats a great idea. Was using a small screw driver before.
the hook will be a big help. Thx
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Beleive me you will love it! I had zero 3D experience before this plane it makes me look decent! Hovers are effortless, pull straight up, feather the controls to maintain the hover, done!
Thanks man I'm looking forward to it, I was told to get the crack yak but when I saw the M-12 I had to have it since i have the full scale kit to build (It'll take a little longer than the crack pitts )
captainhampton is offline Find More Posts by captainhampton
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:05 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,317 Posts
Full scale oh yeah, now only if you could figure how to fly the model while flying the real one. That would be epic!

Though the speed boost is great with 3s I like how the Pitts floats on 2s. Might be due to the weight of my 3s packs, quite a bit heavier than my 2s. Might go hunting for lighter packs and see what happens. Any recommendations on lighter 3s packs?
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
636 Posts
I was using sky lipo 500 mah 3s packs, but they're only 20c. recently grabbed 3 of these to try out http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...mah-35C/Detail

15 c higher discharge and 4 grams lighter ( sky lipo 500= 43.5 gr, ez flite 450= 39.7gr.)
been using them in my leadfeather edge more punch and slighlty longer time even though lower capacity
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Here is some video of my father and his Pitts. Didn't get any of mine flying tonight but did get video of other planes I brought. Hehe

Crack Pitts (3 min 0 sec)
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:43 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I flew mine again last night and tried to get some keychain cam footage but a no go. Tried 3S and it was okay, i am more into slow precise flight than really throwing it around. I also tried some 800 mah batteries the other day and they work but really prefer the lighter 500mah batteries that I have been using a lot better.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Full scale oh yeah, now only if you could figure how to fly the model while flying the real one. That would be epic!

Though the speed boost is great with 3s I like how the Pitts floats on 2s. Might be due to the weight of my 3s packs, quite a bit heavier than my 2s. Might go hunting for lighter packs and see what happens. Any recommendations on lighter 3s packs?
If you want to go really light on 3S I've heard the nanotech 370mah 3S packs are the same dimension and weight of the Gensace 450mah 2S packs. I've been using Desire Power 380mah 3S packs that are 2g heavier and state they are 35C. In reality they are closer to 22C but still hold there voltage enough with the Crack Series motor on an eight inch prop to give me a safe 5min flight. How long they will hold up I don't know yet as I haven't got enough cycles through them to make a judgement.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,317 Posts
Thanks rcguy and Avie for the suggestions on the packs. The Gens Ace 3s packs I have are real pigs when it comes to weight. I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference being a novice flyer, but low and behold I do. Flying these TH planes that are light compared to my others have spoiled me.

Weather permitting I'm giving the Pitts some much due flight time this weekend. Been over a week and I'm having withdrawal symptoms.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,627 Posts
Sky Lipo 20C 3S 350 mah packs are the same weight as 2S 450's if you guys want to try a 3S pack at the same weight.

However this plane carries the extra weight so well that I like 3S 450 best.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik